Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Problem
    Posted: 17 June 2015 at 6:48pm
Hi, everyone.
I've been away from my CJ2A project for a while, and am starting to get back to it a little bit. As a result, I've kind of lost my place on where I was, and what all I've done, so please forgive me for my self-induced confusion...

This jeep sat unused for about 20 years when I started to get it running again. When I got it running, I had problems with the clutch sticking (not fully releasing from the flywheel with the pedal depressed). If I start the engine with the trans. in gear and the pedal depressed, everything is OK. If I start the engine in neutral, then try to put it in gear, the gears will grind and it can't be put in gear. Sometimes, when I start it in gear and the clutch depressed, the starter will "bump" the jeep forward for an inch and then the clutch will release and it will start. Similarly, if I'm driving and push in the clutch pedal to stop, I can tell the clutch isn't fully released until I apply brake, at which time it will release and disengage the trans. from the engine. The old linkage was in sad shape, so I replaced the cable, control rod, pedal, torque tube, and maybe some other stuff I've forgotten (over a year ago). I then adjusted the linkage according to the manual. The problem still persisted, and that's where I was when I put it on hold for a while. I do know that the new control rod (from Walck's) is slightly longer than the original, but the problem is the same with either one. I'm trying to get back into this project a bit, but trying to find my place again on where I was in figuring this problem out. Can anyone give me some ideas where to start looking?

Thanks
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 6:55pm
I'd look at the manuals and make sure you got the cross tube in right that has the two arms on it. Then you have the correct play in the clutch petal. Once those two items are correct, all that's left is a clutch disc/pressure plate problem.  Did the clutch disc ever rust and stick to the flywheeel or pressure plate? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Dark Horse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I'd look at the manuals and make sure you got the cross tube in right that has the two arms on it. Then you have the correct play in the clutch petal. Once those two items are correct, all that's left is a clutch disc/pressure plate problem.  Did the clutch disc ever rust and stick to the flywheeel or pressure plate? John

Well, I think the tube is in right. I seem to remember thinking it wouldn't work at all if it was in wrong - is that right? Yes, the disc likely has rusted to the flywheel at some point, but it isn't permanently stuck or I wouldn't be able to clutch at all. What other implications could go along with it having rusted at some point?
Thanks
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 8:37pm
It sounds like the clutch disc is seized onto the gearbox input shaft....it can't float enough to create the clearance it needs to stop the gearbox internals from rotating.

Its driving the gearbox regardless of the clutch pedal movement.

When the pedal is depressed the pressure plate face moves away from the flywheel and the clutch disc should also follow very slightly...my guess is it can't.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 9:11pm
Is the tub on or off? I had my tube in backwards at first and it would shift without the tub on but would grind real bad.  If the tub was on I dont think I could have pushed it in enough to even shift.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 9:27pm
I'd remove the oval inspection cover on top of the bellhousing and take a look. It could be stuck still on one side or as indicated, to the input shaft. Driving it and working the clutch, possible PB blaster on the splines, could break it free.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 9:27pm
Ryan, the tub (what's left of it) is on, and that's what I thought, too. 

Also, as far as the problem itself, I was thinking more along the lines of what Adrian described, and that's why I drove it around the pasture every so often to see if the problem would improve with a little use to free it up, but it hasn't helped. Is there any way to address  that situation without a tear-down?

Edit: Oops, Oilleaker posted while I was typing. So, I should be able to get a shot at it with some PB without having to split it?

Edited by Dark Horse - 17 June 2015 at 9:31pm
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 9:35pm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/assembling-clutch-and-brake-linkages_topic29706.html

I used this thread to make sure mine was assembled correctly.  (I had it wrong)  The spring end of the tube goes to the transmission.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 10:19pm
Thanks, Ryan. I'm pretty sure I used that when I put mine back together, too. I'll double check it tomorrow when I have a chance to crawl under it.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 11:30pm
you can CHECK THE CLEARANCE ON THE CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE FINGERS THROUGH THE ACCESS HOLE. If any of them are out of spec, that is likely the problem. This is fairly close tolerance spec and if one or two fingers are not clearing the friction plate it will keep turning.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 11:50pm
Mike, is that adjustable without a tear-down? I have a couple of tractors that you can set the fingers on through an access hole.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 5:41am
You changed the clutch cable...is it the right one  there is a long and a short one.  The long one will not disengage if it needs the short one .  Then if it is the right one you may have to tighten the clutch cable.  You should have 1" of play on the pedel
Ed
cj2a lefty
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 8:02am
I have seen the disc starting to come apart  causing the  disc to drag on the pressure plate causing your complaint. Also if the input shaft is sticking in the brg/ bushing in the crank, same result. trans stays spinning causing engagement issues.
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 2:40pm
Excellent input, guys! I will see what I can find out about it this afternoon, and will keep all these things in mind.

One thing I did find - I keep a pretty good maintenance log (a habit from working on airplanes, plus my memory is crap). I went back and looked where I replaced the clutch linkage (actually 2 years ago). I do not see anywhere that I replaced the cable like I thought. I just replaced the torque tube (studs, seals, springs, etc.), and the link rod. I then wrote: 

"...adjusted pedal free travel to spec. (1-1/2 in.)"

Hmmm...I'm not sure why I went with 1-1/2 in. instead of the 1 in. listed in the manual, but I know there is a Service Letter somewhere that specifies changing the free play from 1 in. to 1-1/2 in. because of a change in the length of either the cable, the link rod, or maybe both. I'm not sure why I thought at the time this would apply to me, but that must be where I got it from (I know my new link rod is a bit longer than the original I removed). I also wrote that the clutch tested "Good" afterwards, but honestly I don't remember thinking that I had the problem resolved, so I wonder if my log entry may have been a bit hasty after a quick check that seemed to go well. I wasn't driving the jeep at the time, other than around my back yard to check for function while I was working on it pretty regularly.

So, will try to check all these things today. Thanks for all the helpful input, it is much appreciated.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Dark Horse Dark Horse wrote:

Mike, is that adjustable without a tear-down? I have a couple of tractors that you can set the fingers on through an access hole.

On the factory installed 2A clutch, the manual says that adjusting the fingers requires removal of the pressure plate assembly and use of a special jig (of courseCry). I had this problem with a clutch I bought from Herm, but he took it back and had it done correctly. 

I hope that this is not the problem you are seeing. I think I have a spare (fully functional) clutch assembly that I removed from my 2A, if you need one.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 5:07am
Well, I had no luck today..
I began by checking the free travel on the pedal - 1-1/2 in., just as my logbook noted. Next, I removed the cover on the top of the bell housing so I could get a look inside at the clutch. There was no evidence of rusting on the input shaft, most likely thanks in part to a bit of a rear main seal leak.  Still, I sprayed a few shots of PB Blaster on the splines and pumped the pedal several times while watching the disc to make sure it was traveling back and forth on the splines when it was released by the pressure plate. This appeared normal. Next, I started the engine with the trans. in Neutral and watched the clutch. When I pressed the pedal in, the disc continued to spin for a while, but slowly spun down to a stop and I could put the trans. in gear and out with no problem. Back to neutral, release the pedal and let everything spin for a bit, then push the pedal in, and the disc continues to spin...and spin, and spin, with no end it sight. No way to get the trans. in gear like this. So, I shut it down, put it in gear and re-started with the pedal pressed down. The Jeep lurched an inch forward with the first bump of the starter, then the engine started normally and the disc was stationary, and I could shift to any gear. But, as soon as I released the pedal and let the disc spin, it would not stop spinning when the pedal was pressed again and I would have to stop the engine to start the process over again.

OK, so I crawled under and re-adjusted the pedal free travel to just shy of 1 inch (like 7/8 in., or so). I re-started the engine and tested - no improvement in the clutch release. I can't really adjust any more free play out without having the release bearing permanently engaged, so I've got all the slack out of the linkage that I can get away with. Finally, I sat in the seat and depressed the pedal with the trans. in Neutral, and took a long screwdriver and poked around the clutch disc with it. At first, it was stuck, but with a little prying, I could get it to free up and then I could spin it fairly easily using the screwdriver as a pry bar.

Bottom line, the issue is not linkage, or travel, or free-play adjustment, etc. The issue is that the clutch disc is somehow binding on either the flywheel or the pressure plate when the engine is running with the pedal released. Once this occurs, nothing seems to be able to jar it loose other than shutting it down and re-starting it with the trans. in gear and the clutch depressed (whereupon the first bump of the starter will cause the Jeep to lurch forward an inch until the disc breaks free and all is well again until the pedal is released again).

At this point, I do not see any solution that can be obtained without a split of the trans/engine and removal of the clutch and pressure plate (which of course means a replacement of same). I cannot figure out where the binding is occurring, since I can see the disc move rearward when the pedal is depressed. Perhaps, as was suggested, the lining is delaminating and fouling the interface between the disc and flywheel (or disc and pressure plate). Anyway, I don't see a way to figure it out without a teardown.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 6:57am
Its driving via the pilot bearing (bush) if everything else is working its the only contact point left...

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 6:08pm
My next question  Is the fork properly placed on the throwout bearing.  Don't ask how I thought of this  Embarrassed
Ed
cj2a lefty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>