Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introducing myself

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradbury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introducing myself
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 4:03pm
Hello from the sultry, humid, flat land known as eastern North Carolina.  I have been wanting a Willys for as long as I can remember and it may happen soon.  I  have the opportunity to buy a project CJ2A which is complete but definitely needs complete restoration.  Just have to convince my wife I can do it.  I'm no stranger to working on old vehicles but I have never worked on a jeep or anything with quite this much rust.  The only thing that scares me is a place near the front left leaf spring's rear mounting point, on the frame rail that is rotted through.  I don't know how much of the rest of the frame is like this though.  I am going back to the fellows house to look at it in more detail next week.
It is what it is...
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 5:22pm
Bradbury,
Welcome to the page.
When you visit your prospect, take lots of pictures and post them up here. Folks here have done it all and can tell you about the work required to get it back in shape.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 5:25pm
Welcome from Asheboro. As my friend has noted, we love pictures!Cool
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 5:49pm
Bradbury - I have two or three nice used CJ2A frames available, at prices too low to advertise.
While the logistics of moving a frame from WV to NC will require some planning, it can be done at a reasonable cost.

You should confirm a clear title is available before you purchase.  That seems to be a topic here all too often when an abandoned projects are rescued.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2015 at 8:56pm
 Regards  to Title,  ever state is different .  I would check with owner to see what he has,  then talk to DMV.

In California ,It not hard to register something with all history lost.
Jerry
Bradbury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradbury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 12:48am
He doesn't have a title. I asked a DMV inspector I know about getting a lost title and he said it has to be put under an indemnity bond. I didnt understand all he was saying and it was a quick telephone call but he said he can help me through the process and get a title.

$400 take it or leave it...
It is what it is...
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 1:34am
If drivetrain (engine, transmission, transfer case, etc) are there, it is certainly worth the asking price.
Even if drivetrain is incomplete, it is still worth the price for donor parts.

One free bit of info if you are looking to restore this one - obvious missing items windshield frame and original seats are getting tough to find in good shape. Aftermarket parts are available but pricey and fit is questionable.

And it seems when you get one, more are likely to follow you home.

Edited by mullen46cj2a - 10 Oct. 2015 at 1:40am
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 2:09am
Jeeps out of Little Washington? I am down the road in Newport, if you make a run to Morehead city stop by, I have been a jeep collector since 1975. Almost done with a M38A1C jeep.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, I agree with the other posters on the price
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 2:30am
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

And it seems when you get one, more are likely to follow you home.

I think it is Willys law that you can't have just one!  
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 4:30am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Could you explain that to my wife please...
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 4:36am
Good luck . . someone needs to save it. Big smile

Indemnity bond might be similar to VA's "abandoned vehicle" process.  In that basically -> DMV researches for previous owner,  if not found (because not titled for long time, most likely),  you have to publicly announce via a website that you have vehicle with VIN. .  After a waiting period,  and nobody claims it, then you can get title.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Freedom21 Freedom21 wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Could you explain that to my wife please...

LOL Nope!  I'll leave that up to you!
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 10:21am
I've been through this. Take everything you have in the way of ID for the Jeep. Click on the link for VIN number locations. If numbers are still there, photograph them. Then go see the troopers at the License and Theft Bureau. They'll tell you which forms to get at DMV Tag Office. The Bond is typically for $1,000.00. They'll investigate it and inspect the vehicle. If trailerable, you may be required to take it to them. Typically they are co-located with the State Driver License Office. Be patient. The process can take up to a month to accomplish. Particularly If there are no numbers on the Jeep. If no numbers are present, the state will assign a special number and the investigator will place two permanent stickers, with that number, one on the firewall in the engine bay and one on the dashboard. Just do what they tell you and the process will move on. The only problem that can arise is if the vehicle was reported stolen at any point.
Bradbury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradbury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2015 at 10:56am
Yes, other than the seats and windshield frame, its all there. He said the engine runs also, but it has been so long i'd settle for it not being stuck.
It is what it is...
 Post Reply Post Reply