Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 6:01pm
Andy,

Wonderful work!

Did you end up putting a slip shaft / slip yoke in your PTO drive to the winch?  I have done three pto winch installations of these in past 10 years and have always put a lip joint in each of them to deal with flexing during use.  However, I have see brochures and had original Ramsey drive shafts that are just a straight shaft with a universal joint on each end.

Just wondering.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

do you think a slip shaft is needed at the PTO end of the shaft  or is it not a concern?
Considering the frame flex that jeeps can be subjected to, It would be a good idea to install a slip yoke somewhere in the shaft. If this isn't done, the length of the shaft could damage bearings in the gearboxes on either end of the installation or even break a housing.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2016 at 1:33am
Very nice work.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2016 at 4:25pm
So far my intentions are to install a slip on the front portion of the shaft just behind the winch and just ahead of the support bearing, what you see in the pic. is me squaring up the body to the frame so i can drill new body mount holes, when i replaced the floors i dident make any holes so when the hat channels are installed it will all line up, some of the other things i have been going over are the sector shaft in the steering box, i had changed my orignal one out when i rebuilt the steering box but after the Omix warning i couldent remember what i had, it turned out i have a crown but it has some issues of its own such as being too fat on the spline end and being one not to throw anything out i found the box for the crown part with the orignal sector in it now after having a good look at it i will reinstall it back in the box, other things are pedal hole alignment and sheetmetal in general, i will post some pic. of the sector shafts the first chance i get
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2016 at 8:00pm
the crown shaft is on the left and the orignal is on the right they both have hardned buttons and one piece construction but the crown is fat on the splines and the buttons have wear on them and thats only from moving in the driveway, so i removed the crown shaft and instaled my orignal shaft
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 3:10am
Fired up the heater in the shop and a tims coffee , it was -11 outside but in the shop it was just right for working on the jeep, worked on the fender and passenger rear quarter welding up holes and cracks                      
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 5:27am
Lots of fun to work on the old jeep.Specially in the winter,Tims coffee,keep up the good work.

Giles
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 10:57pm
Its been a while and it was so nice outside I just had to get out and tinker on the jeep.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 2:34am
almost there a little more filler and sanding

Edited by shadow - 01 Feb. 2017 at 2:36am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 2:13am
Its still a little frosty outside and the shop is still a bit cool but a relaxing couple of hours working on the jeep
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 8:11pm
Made up more patch panels and welding into place
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 1:12am
What are those little square pieces called that are holding the metal in place?
Mark
1946 CJ2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 1:18am
Don't want to speak for Andy, but I think those are called butt welding clamps. You can pick them up at your local Harbor Freight.

http://t.harborfreight.com/butt-welding-clamps-8-pc-60545.html
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:20am
Man, this is great for a "newbie" like myself -- thanks so much for sharing the pictures of how you are doing the patches!!! 

Looking really good!

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 3:57am
Stan got it , if you look back in my post you can see some of the different types of clamps that I have used to repair panels, the most important thing to remember is be patient ,work slow and keep the metal cool, I keep a blow gun or a rag in a bucket of water and after each spot weld I cool the metal , this keeps the warpage to a minimum
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:29pm
What did you sand the body down with? Do you just spot weld the new pieces first and then go back and fill it in? I keep on having trouble blowing through the old metal. I am trying to teach myself how to weld also. I am using a Miller 140 mig welder.
Mark
1946 CJ2A
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 4:32am
I am using a miller 211 welder with 0.30 wire and mixed gas ,with a little practice on some scrap pieces to get your temp and wire speed just right ,you can also go with a smaller wire i think its 0.28 ,this is much easier to use on sheet metal, you want full penetration for a strong weld. I will weld in the patch completely and keeping the metal cool as its welded in, then I use a disk grinder to knock down the hi spots first being carful not to get the metal hot then a abrasive type of flapper disk , I will also check the shape of the metal an work it with a hammer and dolly to keep the shape I want, big thing is don't be scared to hammer and twist the metal to get it where you want.

Edited by shadow - 02 Mar. 2017 at 4:45am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 6:21am
My Dad taught me an old Boilermaker trick for heat warp.
Take your torch to the high spot and get it nice and hot but don't blow through, then quickly press a soaking wet rag against the hot spot and hold it there to tighten the metal molecules and shrink it down.

I'm using those clamps as well as vice grips for my patch lineup too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>