Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Identification
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 9:27am
Hey yall,

New to the forum, just signed up but have been reading it helpfully for a little while.  Great resource here, thanks to you all.

I'm trying to get an old Jeep I bought a few years ago ready for the road.  Come to think of it I'm not even sure yet what model it originally was.  It has a fiberglass body now and an F-head motor.  I love that little thing.

I was wondering if maybe anyone could help me I.D. what kind of Jeep it is, like if its a 2A or 3A etc.  I don't really know where to look.  I'm thinking the engine is swapped but I'm not sure.

I looked around and found this barely readable number on the front of the engine: P313XX (hiding the last two numbers for privacy hope that doesn't hurt the effort.)  The engine has no oil filter and has a strange cone on the top of the valve cover which seems to be some sort of a breather, which I don't see on most other engines..

The block has a casting number: 64622X-L-W 10ANI-NX (X's hiding digits)

It starts with a foot pedal.  Other numbers on the engine: 64883X on the top and "9-19  B" with "W F" under it.

It's got a carter YF carb.  The windshield is not stock, looks like a home made job.

Anyway any help identifying the engine or frame would be cool and appreciated.

Thanks
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 1:01pm
For CJ ID number info, Look for a rectangle aluminum tag on the left side frame just to the rear of the bumper, might be inside or outside of the frame channel.  If you find one or holes where one was located at one time that will indicate mid-forty's CJ2.  Also look on the left side frame near the spring shackle for a number stamped into the frame channel.  Do you have any remains of the original body?  There should be some numbers stamped by the mfg that might help.  Tags by WO were on the original firewall, passengers side which were the Body ID and Frame ID.  The original engine would have SN stamped on the WP boss and/or on the rt front side boss near the front of the engine.  I'm not sure about the military ID info. other than the M38, rt side wheel well behind the passenger seat had a WO tag with the  SN stamped on the tag.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 3:14pm
Going to need some more pics to help identify your model of jeep...
What you have pictured is an F-Head engine so that cap on the top of the valve cover is a breather. I guessing the other engines that you are referring to are L-Head (flat head) engines that are found in many different models of jeeps, early trucks, and early jeepsters. The engine you have could be original to a 3B or a CJ5, or a transplant in to another model of jeep.   
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 5:27pm
 A couple of easy things to look for, to help identify the frame:
Is the front bumper bolted to a pair of triangular (sort of) gussets on each side, which are then bolted/riveted/welded to the frame rail, or is the bumper bolted/riveted directly to the frame rail end?
Does the back end of the frame extend beyond the back of the body?
Does the frame have a reinforcing strap welded to the top of it for the length of the flat middle portion, under the body?
Does the transmission/transfer case supporting crossmember attach to brackets that are riveted to the frame rail, or bolt directly to the bottom of the frame rail?

All the jeep universals had a closed PCV system, and no "breather" cap on the valve cover of the F-head. (Up thru the 3B anyway, and the early CJ5 and M38A1 that I had). I believe the breather cap makes it probably a truck or wagon engine. Of course, there's always the possibility that the engine itself could be a salad.

And yes, more pictures would be a tremendous help. We love pictures!     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Venum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 11:43pm
Ok so thanks to all of your help I made a bit of progress identifying it, which I'll post here for future reference.

Originally posted by old stuff old stuff wrote:

For CJ ID number info, Look for a rectangle aluminum tag on the left side frame just to the rear of the bumper, might be inside or outside of the frame channel.  If you find one or holes where one was located at one time that will indicate mid-forty's CJ2.

Ok found holes there but no tag.  By the way, any idea what that thing is dangling in the frame channel?

Didn't see any numbers near the front left spring shackle, but might need to clean it first.  No remains of the original body, except maybe the grille and hood.  There is a SN on the WP boss, it's P313XX (last two digits hidden).  I'm still trying to figure out what a P serial number prefix for a hurricane F134 means.

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Is the front bumper bolted to a pair of triangular (sort of) gussets on each side, which are then bolted/riveted/welded to the frame rail, or is the bumper bolted/riveted directly to the frame rail end?

After looking more closely it seems that yes, the frame attaches to the bumper with triangular gussets.  Guess that makes it likely a 2A?

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Does the back end of the frame extend beyond the back of the body?

No not really but it's an aftermarket fiberglass body.

I'll double check the last two next time I see her I thought I took pictures of that part but guess I didn't.  Apologies if this thread is too old to reply too, I just wanted to circle back and thank you guys for the help at least now I know it's a CJ2A frame.  Big smile

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 2:48am
Well if you put a gun to my head I'd say your frame is probably a CJ2a or MB. The bumper gussets give that away. The rest of it? Who knows. That "F" head doesn't belong there and that's a fact.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:43am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Well if you put a gun to my head I'd say your frame is probably a CJ2a or MB. The bumper gussets give that away. The rest of it? Who knows. That "F" head doesn't belong there and that's a fact.

Underlining & bolding mine.

David, please understand that I am hassling you in good fun. I know that you are not "The Jeep Police", yet this post could be taken that way. I would tell you to lighten up, but you do not usually tell folks how to build their Jeep. I suspect that you never meant to come across that way. Smile

"that's a fact.": It is your opinion that that engine does not belong there, it is not a fact.

"That "F" head doesn't belong there": I do not know about that, It makes a little more power than the flat head. With the right carburetor, it fits just fine in the engine bay. No, it is not original. Yet neither is the tub. IMHO, It does belong in there. It is there now & If I understand correctly, it runs just fine.

While it is not original, neither is a Buick, 225 CID, Odd Fire, V-6 in a CJ-3A. Yet my CJ-3A has one of those in there. Since it is mine I get to say what belongs in there, & I say the Buick V-6 belongs in my 3A.Big smile 

Since it is Venum's CJ-2A, Venum gets to say what belongs in there.

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 12:10pm
no none of that is to be taken seriously. I am the least serious person out there but he was just trying to identify what he had there. With front bumper gussets his frame was probably a 2a or MB frame therefore the  F head does not belong there.....cuz F heads weren't originally in a 2a....that was a fact. I was just trying to help him narrow his idea of what he had........the jeep police are out there! They aren't like Big Foot or ghosts in the insane asylum...they're real!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 10:15pm
That thing on the inside of the frame rail appears to be the end off a steering dampener. 
I've seen several bubba mounted dampeners. But never one mounted that way. Apparently the end broke off and got left on there.  
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 10:30pm
Looks like the frame is a little bent too.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 11:42pm
David, That is what I figured.

Post Reply Post Reply