Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Sealant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Sealant
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 5:32am
I have to agree with Adrian.
I used POR-15in my tank 20 year sago and had ZERO problems. No peeling a or clogged fuel pump screens. The methodology in prepping the tank was not time consuming as I had a new tank, but still made sure I followed all the steps properly. The amount of sealant in the kits is enough for two CJ tanks so one option is to find another compadre that has a similar need and split costs.
The thing is....quality does cost a smidgen more. But you will be happier longer :-)
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 7:05pm
Yes the POR 15 kit is pricey but is very popular here, its got a cleaner, acid etch stuff and the epoxy coating.

The CJ tank being so small is easy to work on and once it comes time to put the epoxy in its easy to tumble around to coat every inside face.

Never used anything else, so its a very bias view but well worth it.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 12:05pm
Thanks for the good info.  My local paint place sells POR-15 sealer, but it's awful pricey.  I'll look into some of the other options.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 3:21am
A friend used to help rebuild antique planes and they sealed the fuel tanks with he called Slush Coat. Supposedly they also used it motorcycle tanks as well. I have never looked for it.
uncamonkey
greg3888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg3888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2017 at 2:32am
Red kote. The antique tractor forums bring this subject up sometimes and Red Kote gets good reviews. you can get it at Value Built tractor supply.Greg
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 7:16pm
I had mine sealed by a local radiator shop about 9 years ago.  It was some sort of purple stuff.  Still seems fine, knock on wood.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 7:07pm
There is one product out there, I don't recall the name right now (CRS, you know Embarrassed) that has been around for many many years, and claims to be the only one certified for use in aircraft tanks. That's the one I would use.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 6:50pm
John

I used the POR15 system on several tanks now, brilliant!.

My old GMC 6x6 has a very ugly tank and rust etc was an issue, I cleaned it out best I could and then sealed it, it never leaked prior but it was a great way to prevent future scale/rust etc from ever getting into the carb.

As for the CJ, it was a brand new repro fuel tank but I sealed it anyway, future proofed it and the end result is like a silver Teflon coating on every inside surface....just make sure any built in gauze screens etc are removed or masked off, this stuff will completely seal the gauze.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 4:46pm
Has anyone used one of the various fuel tank sealants on the market?  There seem to be quite a few and I'd like to find out if any worked better or worse than the others.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
 Post Reply Post Reply