Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic transmission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:50am
I typed this up once but deleted it after I thought about it but here it goes again:
In cjbilly's situation, could you use the L134 to power a hydraulic pump to power a hydrostatic motor to power or replace the transmission. This could do away with all foot pedals. If I let off on my tractor's hydrostatic foot pedal fast enough I can lock the tires up. This handles the brakes. Put a hand throttle for the L134 on a hand hydrostatic control lever. This might not work well on the road but it could work well off road.

Edited by WillyBill - 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:52am
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 4:01am
Hope a personal question is OK....in context of the thread.

Any of the choices being discussed won't be simple fix...any of them are going to get involved.

Just wanted to ask is your leg situation that bad or is it going to progress hopefully after surgery? Simplistically, has it already been determined that it's not going to get any better?

I apologize if I'm out of line by asking.

One other thought and I'll shut up.....automatic transmissions take varying amounts of horsepower to run. If you are starting out with only 60 or so then that's a whole lot of work to be be disappointed by inadequate performance (Maybe I'm totally off and you are just wanting to do it to be doing it....just food for thought)

May be easier to rehab the knee.Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 6:54am
The simplest would in my view be convert to hydraulic, and you could then add a vacuum booster in the circuit running off the inlet manifold.

You would be able to push the clutch in with your finger tips.

A lot of small Jap trucks have power assisted clutchs, my 1989 Toyota Dyna has one and works a treat.

One step further and you could fit a hand lever to depress the pedal.

Not sure if the little L-134 would be much chop in front of an auto, V6 and I'd say yes....

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Evaluation of an M-38 equipped with an Allison automatic transmission

You can find out more about this transmission in the March 2015 issue of Dispatcher Magazine. The article is posted over on The CJ-3B Page here......

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 4:00pm
rocnroll, a big part is just wanting to do it, my knee will heal but with 2 surgeries on it already I suspect at some point pushing a clutch will become more difficult. I believe any AT can be shifted manually, like a Semiautomatic which would eliminate the vacuum part. Still just thinking out loud at this point but I like all the input.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 4:28pm
Autos can shift manually for sure but I still have reservations about doing all the adapter engineering to go behind a somewhat anemic L134....but that's just me.

You should absolutely do it if that's what you want.

I am no engineer, but I have owned an automatic equipped 2A with a little over 100hp. The 5.38s were what made it work....but the horsepower/torque is going to be the key to happiness I'm afraid.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 5:46pm
Maybe we are overthinking this.

If the knee is useable, why not just convert to pedal actuated hydraulic clutch?
Top swing pedals may be required to get the leverage required to get pedal effort down.
I had a YJ where the pedal effort was so low I thought the linkage was broken.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Maybe we are overthinking this.

I guess that's sort of what I was alluding to........a cart before the horse the way I was seeing it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 8:56pm
Hydraulic clutch gets my vote. Im sure you could even mount it under the floor with stock pedals. Otherwise the other thought is hand clutch, like on the old Allis Chalmers tractors. I'd be concerned an automatic would be too parasitic for the go devil.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 2:00am
Some Samurais had a 1.6 motor with an AT but it's a higher reving engine and Advance Adapters has a Ford c4 to d18 adapter. Still just thinking out loud, this would be quite an expensive and time consuming project. Found out today I don't need surgery but I have more or less 4 weeks to sit around in a brace and think of other foolish things to do. Very interesting discussion though.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 2:47am
That is the adapter I was talking about....the Pinto C3 can use that adapter. (it is essentially a C4)

2000cc engine + C4 auto + AA adapter = $$$$

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 4:59pm
No money, no problem, problem solved. In a perfect world I would use the 134 and fabricate a new bell housing. It would take some research and lots of $$$$ like you said. If I ever came across a free c3/c4 it would be fun to play with. Still just thinking out loud and a "I wonder if this would work" situation. Interesting subject though.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 3:24pm
I don't think it would be that terribly hard. I think the challenge is the flywheel/starter combo. I forget the company now - but i used used a simple plate adapter to use a BOP transmission on a SBC motor. I would think a concept similar to this would work. The 134 bellhousing may be too small to support a flywheel diameter. 

2 speed powerglide doesn't rob much HP and they are very compact. Might be a thought. 

They have been doing this with Ford flatheads. Just for concept ideas, check this out: 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 3:43pm
Yes, I own one of those.

It uses a C4 starter not a flathead starter....same route you would take for an L134.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 4:41pm
Looks like a real good place to start.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 6:24pm
Interesting thread!    If I were not juggling three Jeep projects I would be all over this, I have cocidered a project like this for several years. We have a couple older guys in our local MV club that would like an auto in a flatfender due to age and we have talked about it. I'll keep an eye out for a C4 for a ginnea pig.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 7:09pm
What about a YJ or TJ engine repower with the stock automatic? 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

What about a YJ or TJ engine repower with the stock automatic? 

Looong! How about a Nova Four & Torque Drive/Powerglide from a postal DJ?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>