Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another '48 Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another '48 Restoration
    Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 1:08pm
Well I'm new to the forum, but I've been looking for an old Willys for some time when I walked into a local shop to ask about some welding on a prospective find, the guy at the shop said he had just picked up a local one and was looking to flip it for cheap.  So after some thinking and getting permission from the fiance' I pulled the trigger and brought home a fairly solid CJ2A SN: 161039.  It ran enough to get it on the trailer, but we will see what happens when I get into it.

My plans at the moment are to just do a restoration (if there is such a thing as just a restoration), with a few upgrades like discs and better headlights.

Its going to be a fairly slow build and I've got a 91 Cherokee Prerunner that I need to sell before I can start buying parts.  Until then I'll just be cleaning and doing some disassembly so I can see what I'm really starting with.

Here are some initial pictures and I'll try to keep it updated.

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 1:59pm
Looks to be a nice vehicle to start with. Smile
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Dmac Dmac wrote:

Looks to be a nice vehicle to start with. Smile

+ 1

And it's nice to see another garage flying a Gadsden!
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 3:05pm
It is in pretty decent condition for being 70 years old.  It has some cancer in the floorboards and supports (so the usual spots), but nothing a few patches can't fix.  I believe it has a 3A driver seat frame because it sits about 2-3" taller.  One of the previous owners had to stack washers under the rear seat mount, so that will be replaced.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to working on it, learning about it, and eventually cruising around.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 10:13pm
sweet!  Welcome aboard!

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 2:16am
That has to be the weirdest hood damage I have ever seen! Is it pushed out from inside?

Welcome aboard
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 2:27am
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm really excited about this project.

As a side note, the fella I bought this jeep from had a nice old MB/GPW trailer that was in need of a new floor and some of the frame.  He wanted to sell the pair, but I had nowhere to keep the trailer without the future wife killing me.  If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 3:00am
Great project!  Cool hood damage.

Can you post some pictures of the engine compartment -  horn, fuel pump, generator and its mounting brackets, Oil bath air filter, radiator?     

Also do you know when in 1948 was made in ?

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 1:23pm
The hood damage is some bullet holes.  Bullets went in on the top of the hood, then either punched through the side or were caught and redirected downward and stopped on the inner lip of the hood.  One of the previous owners had it on his property and forgot it was behind what he was shooting at, so... at least it was only the hood that was shot.  Haha!  It is cool damage, but I'll either repair it or replace the hood.

I'll work to get some pictures of the engine compartment, but I can tell you that it has been converted to 12V so no generator, but I may still have the mounting brackets.  Also, I don't have an oil filter.  Is that normal?  

And I was able to brush some paint off the data plate and unearth the SN: 161039, so is there a way to find out when it was made?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 1:49pm
In the Tech FAQ section there is a post by Sean that gives lots of details on serial #s.

If your trying to find the Tech FAQ section look at where I have the arrow below. (Its packed with all kinds of good information.)

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 6:30pm
Welcome aboard .Nice looking jeep,good find and have fun working on it.

Giles
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 7:18pm
Well based on the list Sean put together and crunching the numbers, it appears my Willys rolled off the line around 12/29/47.  Pretty nifty.  I guess that means I need to have it back in running condition by Dec 29th this year to take it for a 70th birthday drive. Smile
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 4:47am
The seat frames are 2A.  The bar across the front of the frame sits on top of the side rails.  On a 3A seat frame, the bar is sunken down.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The seat frames are 2A.  The bar across the front of the frame sits on top of the side rails.  On a 3A seat frame, the bar is sunken down.

OK, well that is strange because there is a large stack of washers under the rear mount for the seat and the whole seat is about 2-3 inches taller than the passenger seat. Confused
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by TXtea TXtea wrote:

. . . .  I guess that means I need to have it back in running condition by Dec 29th this year to take it for a 70th birthday drive. Smile

Now you have a goal date.  Smile

Looks in decent condition to begin a project,   welcome!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 10:29pm
Bubba did something to that driver's seat frame to make it sit higher.  Extended the front legs maybe?  There is a hole in the seat back at the bottom outboard corner with a threaded insert of some kind that is supposed to take a bolt that goes in through the fenderwell.  That is how high the seat back was originally. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 4:15pm
Here are some pics of the engine bay some of the numbers on the block/head.  Let me know if you spot anything interesting, I'm still learning about it all.  The engine purrs like a kitten.  The jeep will roll if it is started in gear, but does not want to go into gear if started in neutral.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 4:51pm
If that engine purrs already, you are miles ahead of where most of us started. 

Everyone has a different idea about where they want their project to end up. I personally like the weathered look. (Maybe it's because I stink at body work and know nothing about paint.) I think your jeep is beautiful just the way it sits. I think the bullet hole in the hood is an interesting "battle scar" and I would never do anything with it.

I get so much enjoyment out of driving my rig in the wild that I never want to see a runner broken to pieces for a "restoration" that may or may not ever get completed. I seen many a new member here start their project with a burst of energy, pulling the thing into thousands of pieces, then never to be heard from again. Hopefully they just finished their project up and didn't bother telling us, but I suspect that they got discouraged and now they have a pile of parts that won't move and putting it all back together is too much for them either in time or money or enthusiasm.

So if that were my rig, I would try adjusting the clutch (lots of rigs that sit for a while get the clutch plate rusted to the flywheel, yours might be that)  fix all the brakes and lights, do something to the seats so  you can stand to sit on them, then I would hit the trail. You can always do more stuff to it later if you decide you want or need to. 

That's all just my opinion, which is worth exactly what  you paid for it. And if you decide to do a full up restoration into a factory fresh machine, I will love that too. I really do think everyone should do what they want with their rig. Not everyone is like me and thinks the driving is lots more fun than the wrenching.

PS: Here's a couple of threads discussing stuck clutches. Might help with yours.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>