Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

transfer case levers removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transfer case levers removal
    Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 1:53pm
My question is - Can the shift levers on the transfer case be remove while they are in their installed position in the CJ2A?

I am trying not to scratch the paint on the tub with the shift levers as I remove the transfer case.  

Background -  I am working on a restored 1948 Lefty with class "A" surfaces everywhere.  My current task is the remove the transfer case and replace the paper gasket between the transmission and transfer case (yes I will replace anything else that might leak while it is out).  I have the 1948 up on jack stands, skid plate removed, PTO removed, drive shafts removed, parking brake cable disconnected, speedometer cable disconnected and the fluids drained.  I will wire the main shaft on the transmission forward to kept everything in place when the transfer case is removed.  I may remove the parking brake just to make it a little more manageable.

I will tape off the transfer case lever hole in the tub  floor, sleeving the levers with bicycle inner-tube material and lowering the transmission cross member to gain access to the shift lever. 

My plan is to use a rolling lift table to aid in the removal and installation of the transfer case.

Thoughts? 

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:19pm
Yes, they can be removed. Remove the pivot pin and the levers and springs can be removed from above. You may need to slightly lower the tc to get clearance  to remove the pin.
BOULDER 48 2A
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:29pm
No need to completely remove the pivot pin. Loosen the lock bolt for the pivot, remove zerk fitting from pin. Release the spring clips that hold your two levers. Slide pivot pin out till it touches the body a little at a time. This will give you room to slide your springs and shifters off the pin
willys jeep
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 3:02pm
If that pin is rusty, it can be a big issue.  When I first got my rig the transfer case shift levers had big weld gobs on them where someone had cut the levers to get the transfer case out then welded them back together.  I also have a hole cut in the tub tunnel that gives access to the  pin. When I was fixing the floors I almost fixed the hole, but since my jeep is a rust bucket anyway and that hole is so handy, I left it. What one will do when they are desperate i guess.

If you can get the transfer case out without dropping the transmission needle bearings into the bottom of the case, you are a better man than I. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 3:16pm
Terry, Autolite and Stan,

Thanks, I will try to pull the shift levers from above before removing the transfer case.

Stan - I have pulled transfer case on our 1946 with no issues.   The key was to wire the main-shaft forward.  Hope the 1948 goes like the 1946.  Otherwise, I will be adding a note about dropping the transmission.   Trying to get the Lefty back on the road for the 25 Spring Reunion in Indiana next month.  
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:33am
Update - The pivot pin is stuck.  I removed the zirk, released the springs, removed the set screw and hit it.  Started as taps end like a solid hits.  The angle is poor even with the shift tower removed.  Moved levers and it appears to be stuck on the high / low range shift lever.  I prayed it with PB Blaster.  Will tap / hit it again the morning and try one last time before removing the case with the levers attached.  
Stev
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 5:41am
Steve you can use a zerk fitting cleaner like this to try and force a fluid lubricant through the zerk fitting. I use this method on our fleet of plow trucks when the tailgate hinges freeze shut due to salt and corrosion.

Alemite 339841 Zerk-Mate Grease Fitting/Joint Cleaner

Glen
49 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:14pm
Glen,
I am considering putting the zerk back in and using a wrench on it to try to turn the shaft now that every thing but the bind on the high/low lever is free.  I will also try to force more grease into it.  

Thanks
Stev
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:36pm
Stev, the only problem is grease doesn't normally do much to break up the rust and doesn't penetrate to free it up. I have found by forcefully injecting a penetrating fluid thru the zerk sometimes helps. Good luck, tight area, not much room to drive the pin out.
Glen
49 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:39pm
Careful with the zerk it's not very stout....twists off fairly easily. Just something else to fix.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:11pm
Great points - Zerk is a pipe thread so modifying a bolt to replace the zerk might be some work but might be better than trying to turn is with the zerk.   
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:15pm
The issue I am envisioning with using the Zerk-Mate is that the Pivot Pin has two holes in it and the pressurized fluid is going to just pour out of the other hole.  I don't have away to seal up the second hole with pivot pin installed.
Stev
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 3:36pm
Can you safely heat it?
 I've never tried to get the tc out with the levers attached, is there space for that?
If you drop the crossmember on a jack, can you get more room to use a punch and hammer?
BOULDER 48 2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:20pm
Terry,

I don't want to heat it if at all possible.  The restored jeep is a pain to work on.  Everything is clean and painted.  If it were our 1946 trail jeep this thing would be on the floor head to the bench for new seals.   

Edited by Stev - 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:31pm
Stev
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:47pm
Is grease coming out of the second hole? I don't remember pumping grease in and having it come out the opposite end, it might I just don't remember that being the case. If not then you may have a chance to get the pressurized fluid through the lubrication holes and between the cavity and pin before it makes it's way to the other hole. I don't think you will clear the tub with the levers installed unless you are on a hoist or have a way to lift the jeep higher than a normal jack and stands.

Glen
49 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 4:35am
Update - Bummer.  I think I will end up pulling the engine, dropping the transmission and transfer case then removing the pivot pin.  Major tear down will have to wait.  I did separate the cases about 5/8", cleaned them with brake cleaner and swabbed them with High Tack Gasket Sealant.  Will have to do until next winter. 
Stev
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 6:31pm
Stev, will you have your jeep at the Midwest Jeep Rally at Hueston Woods this year?  I think I will go for one day.   Alan
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 2:35am
Alan,

Yes I will be at Huston Woods this year.  Last year I just went just on Friday.  May do that again this year.  If the weather is good I will bring the restored 1948 Lefty.  If it is bad I will bring the 1946 trail Jeep.  What day are you  thinking of going?
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply