Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compression test after head gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compression test after head gasket
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 8:53pm
Ok so being the new head gasket leaked after installed. Refilled radiator and leak started. Thats sitting still not turned over. I have purchased the copper head gasket and will install tomorrow. My question is after install,before running engine can i pressre test? Before addind the antifreeze? Or does engine need to reach temp prior to the test? Never had this problem on any motor ive worked on.strait edge check looked fine on both mating surfaces.torqued in sequence 25 lbs then 45 lbs and finally 65 lbs.(dry).any and all suggestion are appreciated. Thanks again advance.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 9:57pm
Your true compression reading will show on a warmed up engine.  You can do it cold, but I think it's a waste of time.

Really inspect your surface before setting the new gasket.  The studs are prone to leaking.  If possible, it may be worth it to pull them, clean them, and reseal them with some Permatex 2.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 10:22pm
Sounds like a good idea.what about the suggestion to warm up engine without the antifreeze in it? Using a heat temp gun to limit temp? What wiuld that be. Never heatd of that trick. But these old girls are their own breed. Thanks for your help
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 3:18pm
I wouldn't warm up the engine without coolant.  The coolant is needed to distributed heat evenly.  You could get hot spots and warp something.  Because of the water jacket void, a heat gun will not give you an accurate reading of the temp.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 6:46pm
Just use water for the initial fill, and when all is OK drain and use antifreeze.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:07am
Thanks for the responses. Already did the startup and warm up . No leaks with the copper head gasket. Now im having problems with the carb after rebuild. Different thing all together. But thanks again. I really do appreciate your help
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:55am
There is a lot of good WO Carb information at

http://oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:32pm
Talked to Scoutpilot. He put me in the right direction. Wonder site and great help. Pass it on to all
 Post Reply Post Reply