Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"VIN" number question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "VIN" number question
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 1:00pm
Trying to get my jeep registered.  Long story short the paper work I have all designates an old engine serial number as the "VIN" which has either been replaced or the deck shaved so I can't read a serial number.  Would I be correct that the "VIN" I should be using to register is the one on the passenger side engine compartment tag (CJ2A 17----)?
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 1:34pm
Yes, the tag on the firewall is the vehicle SN... but that not matching your paperwork can be problematic depending on your state.

In MA I'd be tempted to just register it under the paperwork I have, frankly, and restamp(?) that number on the deck if necessary...MA sucks as far as retitling under the correct number.  There are ways "around" it, but for older vehicles they make it more difficult than need be, imo.

Edited by mbullism - 25 Apr. 2017 at 1:42pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 2:50pm
My jeep's paperwork has the engine number as the vehicle's "VIN". Sometimes it's just better to let those sleeping dogs lie.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:00am
I thought about doing the "restamp" but not sure how the DMV will like looking at an engine for a VIN number.  Down here in Fl its great, no real inspection to register but they do a VIN verification.  Basically guy walks out of the DMV office with you then looks at the paper work then the VIN on the vehicle.  I may try and call and see if they would allow the "VIN" to be on the engine that would make it easy for me because the paper work I have will match up.  We will see what happens.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:36am
Do what I did and go with the VIN number on the paperwork. Stamp the number on the proper place on the engine block...

...and go to www.dataplates4u.com and purchase the serial number plate and body number plate and put them in the proper place on the firewall. You can even get a frame number plate if you are so moved... I guarantee that the person inspecting won't know if it is right or wrong. If you are really concerned you can age the plates to look old.

As long as you have a valid title and you didn't steal anything, you should be good to go...

...and if anyone is wondering, the title I had when I bought "Ol' Red" 47 years ago did have the same number as the engine with the serial number stamped on the deck... 64462. The data plates were missing. The original motor is long gone, having spun a main bearing long ago...I didn't feel guilty about having new plates made because I was real sure that that was the correct serial number on the Jeep.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:44am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:28am
Since many states used the engine serial number as the VIN, I am fairly sure that Florida has seen this before. Heck, they may have done this as well. I would stamp the engine with the "correct" serial number & show that to the inspector.

What do you have to lose? The worst they will say is that they will not accept it. If they say that, stamp the frame rail. Problem solved.

There were a lot of odd things done "back in the day" as far as VINs go. My 1959 Ford pickup has the data plates screwed down to the inside of the glove box door. It came from the factory that way.
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 4:27pm
Thanks for the input and options.  Jeep is definitely not stolen, Great Grandfather bought it new in 48.  I have a pretty good "family" paper trail, I just know that usually the most direct and least amount of paperwork makes it easier dealing with the DMV.   I will reach out to the DMV and see if I can feel them out for the best option.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply