Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID this bellhousing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID this bellhousing
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:45am
So... the threads stripped out on my 47CJ and I need to get a new bellhousing.  Found a member here to sell me one.  Sent him these pics.  He says it's a CJ3 bellhousing.  IDK.  Can anyone positively ID the bellhousing for me?

Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 12:28pm
Helicoils will fix Your old bell housing better than new, cheap and easy to do.
A.L.Fain
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:30pm
The two posts up top are for a starter bellcrank. Willys pickups used that type. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:53pm

I do have two of those if you need one cal. bar                              http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/parts-identification_topic39978.html

Edited by mike in oregon - 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:55pm
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:08pm
The Bell housing shown is an early CJ-3A or earlier bell housing. Notice the open port for the starter bendix to extend into. Some where in the Late 3A run they switched over to the closed nose stater and did away with this bearing opening.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Paleot Paleot wrote:

Maybe, but for $45 plus shipping, I figured why fix. Maybe you're right, but I have no experience with them.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

I do have two of those if you need one cal. bar                              http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/parts-identification_topic39978.html

How are the threads on them?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Maybe, but for $45 plus shipping, I figured why fix. Maybe you're right, but I have no experience with them.

Cost. Around here any of my machine shops will install 2 or 3 Helicoils for about $50.00. This saves you the hassle of finding a bell housing that will work & it saves shipping costs & time.

If I didn't have the Helicoil tools at work, I would have them do it. The Helicoil kit, which includes the tools & 5 coils, cost about $35.00. Just one coil costs about $4.00, which is what I pay, since I am doing all of the work. The work consists of drilling out the hole, tapping it out for the Helicoil, and installing said coil, 5 minutes tops. Ten minutes if we include checking the tool kit out of & into the tool crib.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 26 Apr. 2017 at 6:50pm
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 7:20pm
I'll vote for Helicoils, end result is better than stock.

I saved my original engine block by Helicoiling all 15 head stud holes.

Also saved the original 1945 dated fuel pump body with them etc etc.

They are very easy to use, especially when the original metal was soft, ie: Cast Iron/alloy etc.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Cost. Around here any of my machine shops will install 2 or 3 Helicoils for about $50.00. This saves you the hassle of finding a bell housing that will work & it saves shipping costs & time.

If I didn't have the Helicoil tools at work, I would have them do it. The Helicoil kit, which includes the tools & 5 coils, cost about $35.00. Just one coil costs about $4.00, which is what I pay, since I am doing all of the work. The work consists of drilling out the hole, tapping it out for the Helicoil, and installing said coil, 5 minutes tops. Ten minutes if we include checking the tool kit out of & into the tool crib.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Capt.  Not sure it's worth having  a repair done when I can replace for very little more.
BTW - ten minutes to drill out four holes.  Run the tap by hand for four holes (hoping it doesn't bind or break) and inserting the coils?)  Not sure about that.  Anyway, very few mechanics or shops in my area to do that kind or work. And given my area, even if I find one to do the work, will likely costs at least $50.00 if not more than a replacement bell.  Best stick with replace I think.

Thanks for the help though!

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 5:07am
To clarify, 10 minutes per hole. I had no idea how many holes had stripped out. Four! That is quite a few.

Why did all four holes strip? That is very unusual. What is to keep the next bell housing from stripping all four holes as well?

Unless you live in downtown L.A. I would bet that most mechanic shops in your area do this repair fairly often. It is a common repair. My friend, who works in a Jeep dealership, does at least one every two weeks, so...

Good luck. Cpt Logger.

PS. I am not trying to change your mind. I am only posting so the next Jeeper with this problem has some good information.

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 5:44am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

To clarify, 10 minutes per hole. I had no idea how many holes had stripped out. Four! That is quite a few.

Why did all four holes strip? That is very unusual. What is to keep the next bell housing from stripping all four holes as well?

Unless you live in downtown L.A. I would bet that most mechanic shops in your area do this repair fairly often. It is a common repair. My friend, who works in a Jeep dealership, does at least one every two weeks, so...

Good luck. Cpt Logger.

PS. I am not trying to change your mind. I am only posting so the next Jeeper with this problem has some good information.

Yeah, can you believe all 4 stripped out.  When I rebuilt it, I remember one of the four just kept spinning and wouldn't tighten.  The other 3 tightened ok, but not to 40 lbs of torque.  So, after a few months of driving, I started having clutch problems, only to realize my trans was moving away from the BH every time I stepped on the clutch.  Further investigation reveals one bolt MISSING ENTIRELY, and the other 3 finger lose in the holes.  So... yep all four need to go. I suspect with only 3 holding the trans to the BH, it caused too much stress on them and they stripped out.

As for my area, I'm in South OC.  Virtually no shops work on old cars at all - much less jeeps.  Jeep dealers want nothing to do with a 70 y/o jeep.  Most mechanics around here have never SEEN a 47  Willys - much less worked on one. PLENTY of BMW and Mercedes dealerships and mechanics though (lol)  So, yeah, 40 minutes of work in South OC will cost you WAY more than $50 for a new BH.  I just love the stories I hear hereabouts about folks in other states taking their whatever "down to the local machine shop" etc. and being charged $20.00 or whatever for this or that or even not being charged at all for some small favor. LOL  Must be nice.

This time, I will not only use split washers, but also threadlock and tighten to 40 LBS.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 10:58am
Send me the old one and I'll throw it away for you ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 3:14pm
cal.bar, this is just a suggestion, nothing more nothing less. If you are going to own one of these fine old machines and there are no repair facilities in your area that will work on them I would suggest starting to expand your skill set. The work never ends, and you are never finished with them. 

There are plenty of stories on the various build threads of individuals that started with little to no mechanical or body work skills. They asked questions, practiced and learned to make repairs. Their rigs turn out awesome. 

The suggestion was to heli coil your existing bell housing, it isn't a matter of it being just as cheap to purchase a different bell housing, it is a matter of learning a new skill that you may need further down the road for a part that is not readily available. 

You can find how to videos on You Tube for just about everything. The knowledge on this and other forums is a great resource. All it takes on your part is the willingness to attempt a repair and to buy some tools.

Good Luck
Glen
49 CJ3A
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:22pm
Go on eBay check item #162218462743 $21.26 free shipping has every thing You need to do repair except drill bit. Plenty of You tube videos to show You how to do it.
A.L.Fain
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

You do realize it costs more to ship than its worth. For the same amount I can get you one that DOESN'T rewire 40 min of work and $40+ in tools and equip to fix. Lol
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:49pm
[QUOTE=Paleot] Go on eBay check item #162218462743 $21.26 free shipping has every thing You need to do repair except drill bit. Plenty of You tube videos to show You how to do it.
[/QUOTE

Oh I LOVE buying tools. Still gearing up the shop to deal with the CJ. I just can't see the repair being as good as the replace in this particular case.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 4:54pm

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

You do realize it costs more to ship than its worth. For the same amount I can get you one that DOESN'T rewire 40 min of work and $40+ in tools and equip to fix. Lol

I don't know about mbullism, but I've got the tools and equipment to repair it, and shipping will be about $35.00 (I shipped one recently). That's less than half of the $45.00 plus shipping that you're going to pay.Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>