Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Bumper Fitment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Bumper Fitment
    Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 1:41pm
Currently trying to fit on a new front bumper (MB style with MB gussets).
I have the wheels off and one side is a little bit higher than the other. The passenger side seems a little bit higher.

Long story short its not allowing the bumper holes to line up quite correctly.
My rear passenger side leaf spring is a little higher (need to remove it and have it set at the correct ride height).

Would this difference in height on each side cause the bumper to do that?

One other thing, the bumper doesnt actually fit on the inside of the gussets. I know the gussets go on the inside. 

I have a frankenjeep of MB axles, CJ2A tub, and an early cj3a frame. 

Are the frame rails higher on a CJ3A that would not allow the gussets to fit inside the bumper?

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by jscheiner.09 jscheiner.09 wrote:

. ..Would this difference in height on each side cause the bumper to do that?
not in my opinion since the front of the frame is held parallel with the front cross member.

Quote One other thing, the bumper doesnt actually fit on the inside of the gussets. I know the gussets go on the inside.
 The bumper is 4" tall on the outside so the inside should be approximately 3-3/4" depending on if your bumper is made of 11 ga or 12 ga. 

Quote I have a frankenjeep of MB axles, CJ2A tub, and an early cj3a frame.
a cj3a frame, early or not, does not have the MB style gussets.  Did you add them?  If so, did you cut off the raised portion of the frame to make it match a 2A frame? 

Quote Are the frame rails higher on a CJ3A that would not allow the gussets to fit inside the bumper?
They are if you don't cut off the raised area like i discussed previously:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 3:19pm
Yeah I cut it off just like the picture and removed the raised portion, that is why I am confused.

I added the gussets for extra support, I wanted to add an MB bumper so I decided to use the gussets from it as well instead of trying to recreate the raised portion of the CJ3A bumper.

It seems like the gussets are 1/6th of an inch too tall to fit inside the bumper.

Dammit.
I will measure the front bumper tonight to make sure it is of the right height.

js

Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 5:43pm
Mine was tight too... I left everything loose on the gussets, until the bumper was installed, and bolted ...this allowed me to lower/adjust the gussets accordingly... I did not use rivets
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 2:28pm
Loosened the bolts for the gusset and was able to fit it in.
Thanks!
js
 Post Reply Post Reply