Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass etching-DIY- Now available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass etching-DIY- Now available
    Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 5:24pm
I have now put together a DIY kit for the glass etching that was shown in my previous post.
I am selling the kit for $15 plus $2 for shipping. It will include two (2) vinyl transfers, brush and enough etch material to do the job.
I am providing a detailed instruction guide here so that you can obtain great results. Trust me! You will be amazed at the results. It's so simple a Caveman could do it!!
You can put it anywhere you want but it seems that most of the applications seem to be on the PASSENGER glass--lower outside corner--etch to the inside-- viewed normal from outside--reverse inside. Roughly 1" up from bottom of glass--about 3/4" in from side of glass. This is somewhat arbitrary but pretty darn close.

PLEASE do this on a piece of scrap glass first!!!!! That is why you get 2. You must be comfortable with the technique to trust it on your mounted glass. The LAST thing I want is for you to be dissappointed.

1. Lay your windshield flat.  Clean glass with a Windex type product.
2. Use masking tape to set your straight edge for the decal.
3. Slowly peel off the white paper backing so that the transfer remains behind on the transfer tape. (stuff that looks like masking tape)
4. Carefully place the vinyl transfer along your straight edge guidelines. Start in one corner and with the edge of a credit card or other flat object slowly lay the vinyl down so as not to incorporate any air bubbles.
5. Rub the vinyl down with your credit card to make sure all vinyl is adhered to the glass. Slowly peel the "masking tape" backing off the vinyl--watch for any vinyl lift off--re-rub if any lifts off.
6. Mask off all around the decal. Any exposed glass is subject to accidental etch--be complete!
7. Apply etching cream with supplied brush. Make sure all lettering is covered. Agitate the cream over the lettering for a couple of minutes with the brush. This will ensure complete coverage and an even etch. Don't wipe any of the cream off the letters--add more if needed but don't get sloppy.
8. Let this stand about 20-30 minutes. It won't hurt if it goes a little longer. Wipe away the material with a clean shop cloth and then peel away your masking and your vinyl. Clean again with Windex or denatured alcohol.
9. BANG! Done. You will be impressed.ClapThumbs Up

Edited by damar2yxr - 22 Sep. 2011 at 12:01am
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Torquemada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torquemada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2011 at 6:14pm
Hi,

You would sell me only decall?

thanks and good job ...!! Clap
Javier

1947 Cj2a #127275

__,[__|__],       
l---L -OlllllllO-      
()_) ()_)---)_)
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2011 at 1:38am
David You say it is done to the outside of the windshield correct? So the windshield will have to be removed from the Jeep correct?
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2011 at 2:33am
No No All you need to do is fold your windshield down and apply the vinyl to the glass on the inside. That portion which faces the inside of the jeep.
The etching will be done on that surface. When you are complete you will have etched the interior facing surface. As you look at the jeep from outside you will see the lettering and be able to read it. As you sit in the vehicle you will see the letters backwards.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2011 at 6:02am
Oh, I got it now  --etch to the inside--  Thanks I will be getting one I will send you a check in a few days, I still should have your address, Mike
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 2:35am
Got mine today but have not had a chance to try it out yet, Thanks, Mike
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 7:26am
Any chance of me having the stencils only too please?
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 6:19pm
Sure you can just have the stencils...........I'm just curious as to whyQuestion If you try to do it with sand blasting you will not see very good results as the vinyl will not handle the sand very well in the delicate areas. I would send you just the vinyl stencils for $9 US----that will include shipping.
eat,sleep,jeep

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Sure you can just have the stencils...........I'm just curious as to whyQuestion If you try to do it with sand blasting you will not see very good results as the vinyl will not handle the sand very well in the delicate areas. I would send you just the vinyl stencils for $9 US----that will include shipping.

I suspect the reason both of the requests for stencil only was due to the difficulty(or legality) of sending a chemical to another country.  The etching paste is an acid and is generally easily obtained at a craft store. (I've used it in the past on furniture restorations I've done where I had to replace a broken piece of glass in a cabinet that had etchings in the originals)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

I suspect the reason both of the requests for stencil only was due to the difficulty(or legality) of sending a chemical to another country.  The etching paste is an acid and is generally easily obtained at a craft store. (I've used it in the past on furniture restorations I've done where I had to replace a broken piece of glass in a cabinet that had etchings in the originals)

Yep - I think that customs would have a fit - and I checked where I can get the paste over here so that's OK! Big smile
So, is it still $9 to send to the UK?LOL or is it going to be more?
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2011 at 9:42pm
Sure. Sending to the UK is fine. Price is the same $9 US. So you can get the Armor Etch over there?
eat,sleep,jeep

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2011 at 7:48am

Sure. Sending to the UK is fine. Price is the same $9 US. So you can get the Armor Etch over there?

Yes - from one of the craft suppliers that deal in glass hobbies - it is available.
Can I pay you via Paypal?
(Please PM me the details if so .... )
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
downrangeking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downrangeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2011 at 2:14am

downrangeking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downrangeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2011 at 2:16am
Sorry picture above, I wasn't going to fool with flash and holding window frame in one hand and camera in the other.    Works like advertised.  I did both panes and they look really nice.
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2011 at 7:43pm
Guess what came in the post today?
They look great - thank you Hug
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
Anyone seen my marbles?
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2011 at 12:27am
Great detail for our Jeeps!  Thanks for sharing your expertise with us all!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
edusua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edusua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 7:26pm
Hello Dave
 I Got mine  , It's really a nice detail.  Thanks for sharing,
edusua
pasturegreen

cj2a SN 18366
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2012 at 11:54pm
Any chance of custom stencils?  ie;  A person Name
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>