Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep In the snow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep In the snow
    Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 6:41am
On Saturday my cousin and I decided to try a little snow wheeling near Clifton, Idaho (population 450, give or take). He had some clown tires that he lent me to try and stay on top of the snow with. We usually can go quite a ways on the wide tires by using a process we call "Pack Your Track." What you do is drive really slow on the snow and watch your tires. As soon as you get ANY spin, stop, back up a little and then go forward. 

This works really well if the snow is a little bit cold and stiff, but on this day the temperatures were in the mid 70's and the snow was really soft. We had a hard time staying on top of the snow and didn't get very far. 

Here's the video.

At one point, my uncle took me on a little side hike to show me this old early 1950's Chevy truck sitting in the brush on the side hill.  The story is that the man that rolled this truck down the hill from the top died in the accident.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 10:36am
Snow is very strange stuff. In my youth we'd try or experiment with just what we could do.  On one particular day the snow was deep and sticky. My Jeep would go just about anywhere on top. It was about 2 feet deep.  I got quite a ways back in and was thinking how cool it was and then noticed things changing due to temperature and sun and it suddenly hit me. Hey if you fall through this snow pack, No one is coming to get you. I turned around and tip toe'd out. 

That truck that rolled looked like it first fell off a cliff.  The hillside didn't look steep enough to roll that many times. Was it steeper above it? Cool pictures Stan, Thanks. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 12:03pm
Stan,  What were you running for air pressure in those clown feet?  We used to treat snow like sand, and air way down...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 2:24pm
Had 6 psi in the tires. I did a run with these tires last year and did really well, but the temps then were getting below freezing at night so the snow was not near as soft that time as it was on this ride.

Here's a picture from the the ride last year. There is probably two feet of snow under our tires at this spot, but we stayed on top of it.

That hill is steeper than it looks in the picture, and it goes a long ways up. The truck had to have done many rolls to get to this spot from up top. Wish I had a picture of what the hill looked like from the top but we didn't make it that far.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 3:05pm
I'm guessing that truck was stripped of any good usable parts over the years.

Edited by mickeykelley - 19 Mar. 2017 at 3:30pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

I'm guessing that truck was stripped of any good usable parts over the years.

Yep, engine was still in there but the head is off. All the other bolt on stuff was gone. Surprising how that chrome grill has held its shine after sitting out for so long. I've never had one of those straight six cylinder engines apart. I was surprised at how small the pistons are. Should have taken a picture of that.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 8:29pm
Well if you needed a valve cover,it's already pulled I see it on the ground.
Fun trip thanks for sharing
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 9:00pm
Chrome grill, 7 window cab. What a shame. I've owned a couple of them. Both mine had the 216 motor. Babbit rod bearings and the spoons on the rods for lubrication.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 9:57pm
Looks like fun! What's the white stuff? Seldom see it down here in GA

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply