Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep uses the skid plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep uses the skid plate
    Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 6:15am
When I first got him going, I did not have a skid plate on Grampa's Jeep. I beat up the cross member enough that I had to replace it. At the same time I installed a skid plate. At the beginning of this jeep season at Easter, this skid plate was a brand new out of the box item. Not a scratch or dent on it. I pulled the skid plate off yesterday to get the transmission out so I can fix the syncros. This is what the skid plate looks like today. Can't wait to get some more scratches and dents on it.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 6:48am
WOW when I took mine off it had been through 10 years of Dad wheeling the jeep in the 60's as well as some truly scary stuff I did with it for three years in High school and it looked way better then that one.

I guess we did a different kind of off roading.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 7:29am
Yep, you used it. We were up doing Holy Cross City trail and I got the 3B through French Creek without damage and a friend following did a good belly flop on a rock so I turned around to winch him off of it. A few years later I crawled under another friends Nissan 4x4. "Oh, that's what the cross member should look like."
uncamonkey
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 11:50am
Can't wait to get more dents and scratches on it. Stan, I'm starting to wonder about you. Didn't you have a sandbox growing up? LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2016 at 8:03pm
I'm surprised it looks that good, Stan. Between watching your videos and watching you drive in person, I'd say that skid plate has fared exceptionally well! I hope to help you give it some more character next year!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I'm surprised it looks that good, Stan. Between watching your videos and watching you drive in person, I'd say that skid plate has fared exceptionally well! I hope to help you give it some more character next year!

Are you saying I'm a bit loony? Or that my driving-fu is weak? Or both?Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2016 at 3:03am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Are you saying I'm a bit loony? Or that my driving-fu is weak? Or both?Smile

I'm just sayin'........

My Videos
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 4:05am
Anyone ever consider building a skid plate out of UHMW? I know the side by side guys use this stuff all the time for belly pads, etc.
Chop chop
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 6:53am
That skid plate's condition goes in the win column. :)
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 5:01pm
UHMW is an excellent idea! I have it under my Teryx. On my TJ rock crawler I recessed carriage bolts into 1/2 inch and bolted it to the metal skid. I think I will do the same to my 48. Thanks for the reminder!
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 9:24pm
Stan,

We put a second factory skid plate on our 1946.  Just bolted them together on top of each other.  This makes for much stronger skid plate that can be disassembled for straightening if need be.  

Just an idea for your consideration base on the serious use you put Grampa's Jeep through.

Stev. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 9:52pm
Thanks Stev.
Well see how I make it through this summer. Might be a good idea, although that 1/4 inch of lost ground clearance might hang me up. Wink

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 12:56am
Stan,

We use carriage bolts to join the plates and just slide right over those rocks!

Be safe out there!

Stev
Stev
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 1:37am
Nice!
I need to acquire a skid plate for mine.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 2:16am
Stev,
The old skid plate really does make it so you can slide over things better. When I first put Grampa's Jeep together I didn't have a skid plate and was such a rookie that I didn't know I needed one. On my very first red rock jeeping experience ever, before I had the skid plate or the front lockers or any experience, I bumped down this wall (my first) then turned around to go back up and accidentally backed over a sagebrush. I got hung up on the cross member with a small crowd watching and laughing. I think with a skid plate I probably would have slid right off of it. Here's a video of it. My 12 year old nephew didn't have much camera experience either so you miss some of it. Apologies to those of you who are sick of seeing my videos, especially repeats.

Here's the decent from another angle. It stops before I get stuck though. Had to grab the passenger seat to keep from rolling out. Probably should have gotten a straighter shot at it. Once again, this is the first red rock wall I ever tried.

I did make a successful return climb. Here it is from both sides. As soon as I got home from this trip I removed that draw bar tab and started looking for a skid plate.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 8:49pm
Stan,

I watched  your videos with my kids.  They wanted to know if you have plans for a roll bar?  I told them I would ask.  

Be Safe out there.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 08 Feb. 2017 at 8:52pm
Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Stan,

I watched  your videos with my kids.  They wanted to know if you have plans for a roll bar?  I told them I would ask.  

Be Safe out there.

Stev

I commented on that once in a thread before you joined the page, but couldn't find it, so here goes:

I've had many comments on my videos by strangers, as well as family and friends, regarding roll bars and seat belts. Many concerned for my safety, and others questioning my sanity, some in very non-family friendly terms. After I tell you how I think about it, you will probably be on the side of insanity.

Grampa's Jeep is a family rig that I have tried to preserve in the same form that it came down to me, including the patina. It is also, in every way that you can see, a "stock" jeep. Mods I have done I have tried to do with the limitation that they don't show and, at least in my mind, are in the spirit of what someone back in the day might have done.

So with a mostly stock, 70 year old rig, what can I do, and have myself and my machine survive? That's the internal challenge and thrill for me. I am a fat old man that can't hang glide, BASE jump, or do a trapeze act. What I can do is take this little jeep places that people think I have no business being or that think I'm an idiot for trying, all without a net (roll bar.)

Don't get me wrong. I always walk challenging obstacles before trying them. I watch videos of others that have been both successful and unsuccessful. I'll never be ashamed to get a strap on if it seems prudent. I don't ever want my wife to have to take care of a broken bodied man and I treasure my jeep and it's history. I think I'm being as careful as I can while still testing myself and my machine. I don't feel like I'm being stupid although many do.

So that was a very long way to say; no, no plans for a roll bar or seat belts.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 8:31pm
Well spoken Stan. I am much of the same mind. I can build a rig that can conquer most any obstacle. Plenty of horsepower, lots of suspension, you're strapped in, full roll cage and minimum risk of serious injury. Where's the rush in that? Where's the accomplishment? Now when you tackle a really tough obstacle in a flattie with no rollbar or seat belts, and its essentially stock, now that's a rush! And, yes, I've been told I'm nuts for trying some of the things I've done in the little Willys also. But like you, I walk it first, pick my line, and know when to say no.

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>