Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep uses the skid plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I am a fat old man

With Swagger Stan, with Serious Swagger..Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 4:18pm
Stan,

At least you have thought it through.  I have been wheeling Willys and M151s since the early 1980s.  I have seen a lot of jeeps go through a lot of remarkable terrain.  I have also seen very experienced people roll or put them on their sides both Willys Jeeps and M151s.  I have also seen Willys fail mechanically in difficult situations on the trail (brakes, leaf springs, electrical system, steering (me), tires, drive shafts, transmissions, differentials, Dana 25 lower steering knuckle race and so on).  I love the look of a Willys with no roll bar great for parades and shows.  But things do go wrong.

Here are a few examples:

1947 Cj2A was the third jeep of about 8 Willys on a trip near Lake Alma, Ohio.  We ended up on the trail late and came out using head lights.  This 1947 picked the wrong line on the trail and dropped the tire into a rut on a bypass for a big hole.  The jeep rolled over on to the right side.  The passenger ended up in a foot and a half of water.  Damaged the windshield, fender, and body.  Passenger was OK because of the roll bar and seat belt.  We were not even in four-wheel drive at the time.  Without the roll bar I am sure a trip to the hospital would have been in order.

M151a2 Northern Norway USMC.  One of my Gun Jeeps (HMG) pulled up next to my Jeep at about 2 AM in the morning on a slight rise.  The gunner climbed out of the stopped Jeep.  The Jeep slowly rolled over on to the drivers side.

Then there are the stories about Mighty Mo.  Ric was a very capable off-roader.  A true Willys guy.  He insisted that we run with roll bars, seat belts, real mounted recovery hooks, Highlift jacks that were bolted to the vehicles, everything strapped down, working parking brakes, recovery straps with no hooks, fire extinguishers and first aid kits.   

I would not encourage anyone to Wheel in a Willys without safety gear. 

All the best to you.  Be safe out there.

Stev 

Edited by Stev - 24 Feb. 2017 at 2:19pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 6:51pm
Since I'm waiting for transfer case parts, I'm mostl,y just cleaning up the garage a little a puttering. I had the skid plate in the sink to clean the mud and grease off of it. Left it there a couple of days and got a little bit of rust started.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to compare what it looks like now after a Moab Easter Jeep Safari and a couple of other small rides.

Top picture is the same picture as the beginning of this thread from last September after Grizzly Lake Trail at the Fall Color Tour. Bottom picture is current condition.

I can honesty say that putting those marks on the skid plate has been some of the greatest adventures of my life. That includes the jeep riding and the great company I have had while doing it.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 2:18pm
It's aging beautifully!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 3:19pm
I can't say that I have never drug a skid plate, or an axle. When I drive out there I'm more concerned about my PTO box so I pick a line to save it.
You gave it some good battle scars.
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 12:44am
Another Jeep season has passed. My transmission is dropping a pancake of gear oil every time I stop so it’s coming out. As part of the process, of course I have to pull the skid plates. I thought I would update this thread with a picture. 
The side plates are ones I made for the crossmember and the pedal cross tube.
This year I made 8 trips to Moab, ran the Rubicon, Black Bear Road in Ouray, Hal John’s trail in South Dakota, Yhe Northern Colorado Mountain Run, plus a few local trails near my house and some construction site dirt pile climbing. It was an amazing year!

Here’s what my skid plates look like today.  There’s a little Moab dirt on there. You can’t see from the picture, but the main skid plate I have taken Stev’s advice a step further and bolted 3 stock skid plates together for extra thick armor.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 1:18am
Stan,

Thanks for the update.  My jeep still has some Moab dirt on it and I plan on keeping it there.  Great idea having 3 stock skid plates...

Dave
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 4:15am
Wow what a year Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 3:10am
Washed the Moab dirt and mud off so you get a better idea of the beating these things have taken this year.
The side skids were newly painted at the beginning of th3 year. The middle one is cumulative.

Here’s a side shot of the triple layer stock skid plates.

Edited by smfulle - 25 Nov. 2018 at 3:23am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 3:25am
I used two for the one trip over the Rubicon with you guys. The bottom skid plate is a WWII style that bolts to the passenger side frame also. To say the least it got well used!!!
Jay
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 3:29am
   Ha !

The side shot of the triple layers looks about as straight as 3-ply, 3/8 CDX Plywood roof sheathing.

There are some trails which prove to be very Demanding on skid plates:
   _ _ _ or is it just the Operator's confidence.
   ( 3-layers 'will' boost one's confidence ).

So, instead of carrying a spare, just bolt on one or two more. :)

that granite is highly abrasive stuff.

Stan, how would you rate the Rubicon compared to your 'regular' trail run ?

Personally, I rate it as pretty punishing on equipment. I don't know of any other trails in California north to Oregon that are as consistently punishing.

Edited by Greaser007 - 01 Dec. 2018 at 4:07am
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 6:37am
Have the skid plate off to fix the broken crossmember. Thought a current picture might be appropriate for this thread.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 5:11pm
Would 'surf plates' be a better name?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 11:11pm
How about we get you a skidplate built out of some XT100 type material. It is about 3x as strong as normal A36 steel. I would say a 3/16" unit would probably be plenty, but a 1/4" thick unit should last forever. It is also a lot harder and slides much better over rocks.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 6:09am
Stan from watching the you tube stuff I’d say you ought to quit with the skid plates and start thinking about a full belly pan. Maybe something with some rollers built in. Think about it. The added weight will help the ride. And since it’s down low it will lower your center of gravity. It may limit flex some though. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12