Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help w/Coupler Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help w/Coupler Replacement
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 11:17pm
My search for an original Fulton Coupler for my T3-C has proven fruitless. I thought I had a suitable replacement figured out and ordered a "Coupler Repair Kit" for a Fulton Model 308. I received it today and found that it is too big. The diameter of the bolt is larger than the hole in the trailer and the coupler itself is too wide to fit up under the tongue where it is supposed to go. 

Can someone point me in the right direction so I can order the correct parts?
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 2:22am
Wish I could, but the only source I'm aware of hopefully find an unrestorable one being parted out. Occasionally I find and purchase these old Junkers for their parts,and make them available. If I find a useable replacement I'll keep you in mind.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 2:47am
My original post may have been a little confusing. At this point I'd be glad to find some newer aftermarket parts. I just need it to fit and function. Is there anything manufactured today that will work? 
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 2:51am
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 3:00am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

http://bantamt3c.com/

Yes, I read that before I ordered mine. Here's what I got and it's too big. 

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 3:01pm
can you post a picture of the coupler on the trailer itself?
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 7:48pm
Sure thing. First, a little history. When I got the trailer it was wearing this contraption:

I removed it to find this:

There are lots of extra holes drilled but I think the original shape has remained intact as well as the sizes and location of those two overlapping holes on top.

So it seems pretty obvious this Fulton 308 kit I have is just too big:

This is the only T3-C I have ever seen up close so I don't have anything to compare it to except web pics. Any continued input is welcomed. Overall, the thing is in superb condition aside from this abomination. 

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 1:22am
wow !!!!

let me look and see what i have, i know i do not have a "usable" replacement, but i have original removed parts that may need a little tlc....

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 1:27am
Low - Anything you can come up with at this point would be appreciated.  I have a beautiful trailer and no way to tow it unless I re-install that monstrosity of a coupler that came with it. 
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 12:19pm
replied to your pm......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 4:25pm
Ryan,
You've noted that the repair kit won't fit since, it looks to me, it's for a 2" ball.  Have you looked for a 1 7/8" kit?  Most I've seen have the modern latch vs. the hand wheel but have the correct sized internal parts (ball clamp).

The hand wheel that came with the 2" kit has the spring loaded lock latch.  Until MDJuan has replacement parts, you may need to mash the parts together (I would opt for not drilling out the original Fulton coupler and make everything else fit).  I'd weld a bolt into the hand wheel and put a nut (could also add weld extensions or grind sides to assure nut won't spin inside) under the ball clamp - like the original Fulton setup.

Also, I have a dated spec sheet from Fulton.  They did offer wheel kits for several 1 7/8" couplers at one time (listed below).  Whether they are still available or not would probably require a phone call.  I remember contacting them years ago, explaining what I needed and they sent me a bag of springs, locks etc to see if any would work.

Fulton Coupler repair kits for 1 7/8" size:

54-0801 for 1-500, H-Series Couplers

56-0801 for 107, 108, 07 & 08 Couplers

58-0801 for 11 and 1 Series Fas-Lok Couplers

Good luck with your search!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 9:44pm
I appreciate the info Russ. I have been looking at other 1-7/8" options but haven't found any. I have not called Fulton with your list of part numbers but I may do that. 

As of today I may have located some semi-usable original parts from another member here. I'll loudly sing his praises when I receive the parts Hug

Regardless, I will not cut or drill the remains of the existing coupler. I'll let it sit unused for a long time and until I exhaust all other options before I do that.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:57am
Art has some pics on our Bantam page that may help.

http://bantamt3c.com/bantamhitch.htm

Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:04pm
Ryan, the parts that i have are in the mail.... the botom of the original knob is broke out, so you will need to find a way to re-install the square headed bolt and weld the broken area closed... only part that i am missing to send to you is the "release", or locking tab lever......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Ryan, the parts that i have are in the mail.... the botom of the original knob is broke out, so you will need to find a way to re-install the square headed bolt and weld the broken area closed... only part that i am missing to send to you is the "release", or locking tab lever......

Definitely appreciate your effort. You've gone "above and beyond" to help a fellow Jeeper. I'm hoping I can return the favor someday. I'll post an update if I can get the thing repaired and usable!
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 2:36am
Well Low's care package arrived today and I gotta say I'm thrilled. All the pieces were there except the locking tab. The wheel was a little rough but with the help of a local welding guy I think it'll work.

Here's the BEFORE pic:

And AFTER:

Not bad, huh?? I may need to grind out those notches a bit more and I'll need to come up with a locking tab but I think I can use the one out of that useless U-Haul kit I pictured earlier in the thread. 

I did a quick test fit on the Bantam and initial results were good. I'll need to spend a little more time getting it right but I had other projects to tend to tonight. I'll post more pics when I get it all on the trailer. 
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:45pm

Nice work on the notches!  I will have to do the same thing to my knob as well.  I think they get worn over time with contact wear and tear on the release tab. 

How did you fill and grind those notches?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Nice work on the notches!  I will have to do the same thing to my knob as well.  I think they get worn over time with contact wear and tear on the release tab. 

How did you fill and grind those notches?

I wish I could take credit for the work but I had someone else do it. Not sure what he did. I was so excited when I saw it I neglected to ask for the details Big smile
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>