Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood side emblems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood side emblems?
    Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 1:45am
First off, any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Total newbie to Willys. I bought what I was told to be a 48 CJ2A. It is titled as a 48 but is a manufactured title. The previous owner said the BMV didn't know what to do with the previous title since it was so old. I'm guessing it was still on a certificate of origin, but he's still looking for it. I had the replacement title and all checked out otherwise. So far everything ads up and looks fairly correct. Someone has pointed out that the top is incorrect though. My biggest question so far is what are the four holes directly behind my hood latches? Identical on both sides, and was told the hood was original.

Edited by andyjeep - 28 Feb. 2017 at 1:47am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 2:30am
Welcome. Nice looking rig.

The holes in the location described are not original. Don't get get too hung up on extra holes though. Many of us deal with Willys Jeeps that resemble Swiss cheese. Lots of things are added and subtracted over 70 years.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
andyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 2:56am
Oh yeah....it's far from original, and I'm not a purist by no means! I just thought if something actually went there I would utilize the holes!
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 6:45am
Welcome to the site! You are in the right place.

I must admit I don't see the extra holes you mention, and the photo is a bit small. Can you post a close up?

From your description, I imagine the holes are from a second set of hood latches that were added later, either to replace the originals or as a second "safety" set. I have seen many rigs with more than one set of hood latches, often towards the rear of the hood, or close to the hinge. Only one set are original though.

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 8:40am
Andy, Welcome to the madness! I also cannot see the holes that you are asking about. Until I can see them, I will guess along with Mike.

Around here, the outfitters, farmers, & ranchers would often install an extra set of hood latches fairly quickly. The extra set is usually near the aft end of the hood. While it is uncommon, I have seen three sets of hood latches. My uncle had three sets on both his MB & his GPW. We used & abused those Jeeps! We also never had a hood fly open unexpectedly.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 1:47pm
Andy,

" My biggest question so far is what are the four holes directly behind my hood latches? Identical on both sides, and was told the hood was original"

If the holes are directly behind the hood latches they may be for a set of hood to windshield latches.  The Jeep may have had a shorter WW2 style windshield at one point that used a second set of latches to secure the window to the hood. (Again - a better photo of the holes with solve the mystery.)

Capt Logger's - Suggestion of a second set of hood hold downs is a fairly common modification that people made by added a second set of hood hold downs at the rear of the hood just before the flat part of the fender ends.   The addition of this second set of hood hold downs would keep the back of the hood from bouncing.  Overtime the bouncing would work-harden the metal in the hood hinge and cause it to crack.  Again you will see lots of well used Jeeps with cracked hood hinges. 

If this is your biggest problem with your Jeep you have an awesome 1948 CJ2A!  Welcome to The Cj2A Page.

Be Safe Out There

Stev

Edited by Stev - 28 Feb. 2017 at 1:51pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 3:20pm
I like the others do not see any extra holes, I expanded the picture as much as I could.
Both of my Jeeps have 4 latches, that's how I got them.
It's not any fun to have your hood fly up at 45 MPH. You can't see too well.
A friend was driving his CJ5 and the hood not only came up, It came out of the hinges. It flew over his Jeep and landed in the road behind them.
uncamonkey
andyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 3:29pm
I'll snap some better pictures this afternoon. The first pic was just one I had from the day I bought it. Again, I'm just looking to utilize the holes for something at this point. lol It bugs me having them empty! 

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 4:38pm
Do these images show the holes you're describing?

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 5:43pm
My 48 had some extra holes up front near the latches as well that didn't seem to fit anything. A couple of small bolts with nuts, rattle canned the same color as the hood, took care of the holes.
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
andyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 5:19pm
Holes measure 1 1/8" top to bottom and 3/4" left to right.  Center to center of holes. Just looking for ideas to either utilize or cover! 
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 6:14pm
I can't help you with the extra holes, but that year of jeep had two wood blocks bolted off center near the front edge of the hood to provide a "pad" for the windshield frame.  It might not be a bad idea to install new ones to protect the paint.  Most of the original ones have rotted away over the years, but schematics are probably still available online if you wanted to replace them.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 7:42pm
Andy,

Are there extra holes in the fender in the same area?  Could be someone along the way installed a gate style lock claps for a padlock so they could lock the engine compartment.  Not telling for sure.  Just paint some bolts black and put them in the holes.

Be Safe Out There.

Stev 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 9:31pm
I'd make some kind of emblem and install it there.  You've got the holes, why not use them?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply