Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Clubs for jeeps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoosiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 8:44pm
Dad always talked about your goggles, and that wire cutter on your front bumper Andy, which never failed to start a “war story” about the wire stretched over the roads you had to look out for.
Jim, your brand new "right off the show-room floor”  jeep always impressed dad too. He liked keeping up with improvements and changes.

Dad liked the way the new seat upholstery/repairs was done, felt more comfortable and said he didn't’ feel like he was going to slide out anymore. We got to ride down to Cathy’s a few time after they were repaired and he enjoyed it.

Thanks guys.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2016 at 2:37pm
Sorry to hear that Russ. He's in a better place now.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2016 at 7:43pm
Sorry as well to hear about your loss. The last trip I did with my father was a fathers-sons camping trip. Jeeps, guns, good food and beer. I like to remember him as he was that trip.
uncamonkey
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2016 at 12:28am
Thank you gentlemen. I’ll never forget dad helping me work on my jeep and going for short rides through the country.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2016 at 2:42am
Sorry for your loss Russ. Peace to you and yours.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2016 at 5:33am
Thanks Jeff, to bad you never had the chance to meet, he would have enjoyed seeing BamBam all decked out!
    1945 CJ2a 11495
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by BENSH BENSH wrote:

Dad always talked about your goggles, and that wire cutter on your front bumper Andy, which never failed to start a “war story” about the wire stretched over the roads you had to look out for.
Jim, your brand new "right off the show-room floor”  jeep always impressed dad too. He liked keeping up with improvements and changes.

Dad liked the way the new seat upholstery/repairs was done, felt more comfortable and said he didn't’ feel like he was going to slide out anymore. We got to ride down to Cathy’s a few time after they were repaired and he enjoyed it.

Thanks guys.

Yeah those goggles were cool that they had back then!!  I remember your dad talking about how he got an officer to push the jeep out of a sand pit.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 5:54pm
Hey guys, we doing anything this fall. I see the Ky group has a big deal up soon but I have a kind of estate-yard sale already set for the Columbus Day weekend, but the Covered Bridge festival starts in Parke County Saturday the 15th I believe, or we can just do a bon fire/Brown County/Morgan-Monroe ride through the country if anyone is interested.

Sorry Andy, I think the tents will be down, going to the yard sale by then - but wait till you see the old Airstream I got parked out back, just be careful with the holes in the floor!

Bring the half doors if you got em Wee Willy.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 6:18pm
Russ,

I doubt I will be able to attend, my jeep is tore apart because of the exhaust studs being broken.  I would have that done, but I'm going back to school taking master's classes.  If I get my paper done early somehow maybe I'll make it up there. 
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2016 at 4:47pm
I asked the Facebook group if anyone was interested in a ride, but we never set a date. While at school I'm pretty close to Brown County and regularly go to the Lake Monroe area. Just last night we were cruising around some wicked roads in the Wrangler. Lake Monroe has plenty of gravel-style trails.

Redbird off-road would be a great place to visit. It's easy terrain for the flatfenders and has no risk of damage. $10 ride all day. Backroads are fun, but Jeeps love the dirt!

Side note: Russ, didn't you tell me a professor at IU has a CJ2A? I spotted a green one with white wheels on campus and left my number a few weeks ago.

Edited by Nick_ - 02 Oct. 2016 at 4:51pm
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2016 at 11:27pm
There are a few guys down there Nick, they belong to the Monroe County 4X4 Club that a few of us visited last summer, but we have not been in contact with team since. One of the professors (?) down there was the guy I tried to put you in contact with but never answered.

Far as Hoosier Willys FB page goes..... there are issues.

Andy, finally saw your post - good luck with the degree. Hope it leads to more jeep time and MONEY!

Edited by BENSH - 05 Oct. 2016 at 11:30pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 12:33pm
Hey thanks Russ, I like the program, its natural resources and water treatment. 

Do you still have your cj2a and cj3a Russ?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 3:49pm
I have been lagging waiting to see if anything is being set for a fall ride before I contact any others to see if they want to go. I met a couple this summer that has a 48 and said he might be interested to go along with us. My son also might be able to make it if contacted early enough before he ties up the week end with other plans. Ranch Hand is down in the barn waiting to get some new dust put on it.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 4:16pm
You guys are welcome to come to Badlands off-road with us this Saturday. It's gonna be muddy fun and we're doing a night ride.

Jim I'm heading your way sometime tomorrow for my trailer.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 6:05am
Good to hear from the normal crowd, sounds like it will be a small group, like we haven’t done that before.

Jim, did you get your trailer?

Andy, so maybe you can help me find some clean water around here. I gotta keep bleaching the well, make sure the UV light is on round the clock and replace those $35.00 industrial filters ever month. The water table is polluted with coliform bacteria, me and all the neighbors in a large area are fighting this. To answer your question, yes I still have my 45 up and running, though I need to check the left front wheel, need shims or something the wheel will move in & out from top to bottom when shaken, not stirred. I don’t know what it is but should be able to get it fixed for a ride in a few weeks.

Nick: I’ll pass on the Badlands at night!

What does everyone think about the 15th or 29 for a convoy or just bon fire at my place, I have bottled water...

P.S. I got a big yard sale going this weekend so can’t get the jeep ready right now, but all are invited to help tote, lug & buy - or just come hang out and we’ll light the fire and talk about it - not politics!

Edited by BENSH - 07 Oct. 2016 at 6:09am
    1945 CJ2a 11495
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 11:42am
Hey Russ, how deep is your well and how close is it to your septic field?  Also, aren't they dumping liquid waste as a fertilizer on the fields around where you live?  I remember that weird smell.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 3:21am
Yes, I got the trailer Russ, it looks a little rough and I want to go over it with a few changes and fresh paint but it will work the way it is for now. It made the trip from Arkansas to here with a load equivalent to a total jeep so I shouldn't have any problems with it. Life gets in the way and some things just has to wait.
I vote for a convoy on the 29th but any time will work for me.
    Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 5:52am
Thanks, Jim. I’ll put the 29th on the calendar and we will just see what happens. Glad you got your trailer and it is solid, made the trip up O.K. I’m sure it will be pretty nice once you are able to get to it. Someone from the Hoosier Willys FB page may post something in case anyone else wants to join in. We can just meet at my house and go from here since it will likely be a small group, trailer parking should not be a problem.

Andy, The well is 80’ and quite a ways from the septic, the water table is contaminated. I learned of this back in 1990 upon returning from Florida, I had the water tested, I then talked to several neighbors who had their water tested and discovered same, one nearly 2.5 miles away. The guy that bought my uncles part of the farm (from grandpas estate) a couple years ago is on some kind of program where they pay him to spread solid residue from the landfill as fertilizer - and yes it’s terrible stuff, but when I started running all this down I learned that the county health department knew the problem and used to monthly chlorinate the well for the elderly residents of a nearby farm, and of course didn’t bother to tell anyone else. I have a UV light and industrial filters on the main line to the house to kill or sterilize and clear the bacterial mud which everyone always thought was iron, and I have to treat my well every month. Have not found any other solution, except perhaps paying several thousand to have city water line run to our area. Many in our area can not get adequate wells on their property and are using drop boxes in ponds, which are most likely being fed by the same springs that carry the coliform bacteria throughout the area. I had one company tell me that they could install an ionization unit that would make the water in a given ares fresh as rain, depending on how “hot” I ran the system I'm guessing. Now that dad is gone I’m free to move on I guess, and will probably have to do something for health. The diabetes is under control but infections can be common and devastating.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>