Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Button

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG_48CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Button
    Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 12:53am
Any recommendations and/or directions for how to install the horn button on my 1948 CJ2A?  It looks like the wire runs down the inside of the linkage, then out the bottom of the gear box?  At this point does it simply connect to the wiring harness?
Fish
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 6:37am
If you've got the original steering box, the wire runs down through the steering shaft but not out the bottom of the gearbox.  You can find the info you need to make it work... somewhere on the site.  If I knew where, I'd direct you to it.....
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

If you've got the original steering box, the wire runs down through the steering shaft but not out the bottom of the gearbox.

If he has a '48 (and his forum name suggests that he might), then it's quite likely that he has the stock set up where the horn wire DOES run out the bottom of the box, through the tube and plug provided for this purpose. It only came out of the shaft on the early models.

I haven't yet completed my wiring, so can't answer the original question, sorry.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 8:13am
Well, he responded to a post elsewhere with the information that his box has a threaded hole in the bottom, not the tube for the wire to come out.  I've never before seen a threaded hole like that, so what I said does not apply.  I had a feeling I should have stepped away from the keyboard.  Embarrassed
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 8:32am
Sorry if my post came across as too hard. It was not intended as such.

My intention was for any others, who may in future come across this post without reference to the other post, to know that there are two styles of horn wiring. "Early" has the wire coming out the shaft just above the gear box, "late" has the wire coming out the bottom of the gear box through the tube.

My parts book says the change happened at SN 178361, which could be late 47 or early 48. The serial number/year matchup can be found elsewhere on the forum.

All good.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 12:20pm
He may have a M38 column. They had a horn swith that  threaded in.  We'll need pictures to tell. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 1:10pm
That may explain his issue with the outer column not fitting the shaft as posted in another thread, it's a Frankenjeep set up. Sounds like maybe an M38 box might have been rebuilt using a CJ2A shaft.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 2:02am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Sorry if my post came across as too hard. It was not intended as such.

No problem here.  I had thought there were only the two horn connection methods, now I see the M-38 may have had an entirely different setup.  There's always something new to learn here, and I hope to do so.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 3:27am
Originally posted by DG_48CJ DG_48CJ wrote:

Any recommendations and/or directions for how to install the horn button on my 1948 CJ2A?  It looks like the wire runs down the inside of the linkage, then out the bottom of the gear box?  At this point does it simply connect to the wiring harness?

Run a fish wire up from the bottom. Then tape your new horn wire to it and pull it back down and out  if you have a hole in the center base of the steering box. This wire is the ground for the horn when you connect it via the button. 

Earlier units had a horn ring and brush contact setup.

Different type buttons also.

The M38's had a adjustable horn thimble at the top with a stiff wire rod that pushed on the screw in horn switch at the base.  

Much to learn about these horn types. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply