Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 11:20am
Another newbie question... what gauge is the tub sheet metal? (Maybe the more relevant question is what gauge are you using to make the patches?)

I got my welder this week and am ready to start practicing....

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 3:53pm
I've been using 16 gauge. I have a bunch of pictures of various patches I've done including how I formed the rear quarter panels in my thread.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 7:42pm
Thanks! Yes, I've been studying the pics
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 4:17am
I was using 18ga on the two side panel patches that you see but for the floor I used 16ga
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 12:19pm
Andy  -
it all is looking really great!  Thanks for the response..now a couple more questions -

What did you use to make the nice clean straight cuts for cutting the rot out?  

I like the "molasses + water" for rust removal ... approximately what ratio was the mix?

thanks,
Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 3:15am
4 parts water to 1 part molasses, now just be aware it will get a little stinky as it ferments, I have a small tent outside that I set up for this, and I used a under bed storage bin with a lid from Ikea, the bin was just right for the rims.
Something to be carful of is don't soak non Ferris metal parts in the molasses it will dissolve them very quickly
Now for cutting the sheet metal and cutting the patches I use what is called a zip disk,
I will take the time to mark out the part to be removed with a pencil this way if I don't like how it looks or I want to change its easy to do, now after I have cut out the part to be replaced I will use it to trace out a patch slightly larger then trim to fit so I can get the proper gap all around the patch for a good weld, this is where the butt weld clamps come in handy,
Before you weld in your new patch be sure to clean the metal really well or the weld will have porosity or a lot of spatter, the cleaner the metal the cleaner the weld
One of the things I do is use a sheet metal gauge when in doubt on the thickness of the metal and I have found there is some variation in sheet metal, there is also a difference in hot rolled and cold rolled metal, at this time I have been using cold rolled for my patch pannels

Edited by shadow - 04 Mar. 2017 at 3:37am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

4 parts water to 1 part molasses, now just be aware it will get a little stinky as it ferments, I have a small tent outside that I set up for this, and I used a under bed storage bin with a lid from Ikea, the bin was just right for the rims.
Something to be carful of is don't soak non Ferris metal parts in the molasses it will dissolve them very quickly
Now for cutting the sheet metal and cutting the patches I use what is called a zip disk,
I will take the time to mark out the part to be removed with a pencil this way if I don't like how it looks or I want to change its easy to do, now after I have cut out the part to be replaced I will use it to trace out a patch slightly larger then trim to fit so I can get the proper gap all around the patch for a good weld, this is where the butt weld clamps come in handy,
Before you weld in your new patch be sure to clean the metal really well or the weld will have porosity or a lot of spatter, the cleaner the metal the cleaner the weld
One of the things I do is use a sheet metal gauge when in doubt on the thickness of the metal and I have found there is some variation in sheet metal, there is also a difference in hot rolled and cold rolled metal, at this time I have been using cold rolled for my patch pannels
Thanks Andy -- I greatly appreciate the "sharing the wealth"!  It will be helpful for me.  Thumbs Up
Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 12:03am
Hey Shadow.  Thanks for all the information you are sharing with us.  I am using your technique as far as spot welding the new pieces in and then letting it cool before I go back and fill in between the spot welds.  I am teaching myself  how to weld too.  I am learning a lot from your post.  Thanks again.
Mark
1946 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 10:27am
Hey Sparky,
     Another tip on butt welding is to either clamp a piece of brass behind it (the brass spreads out the heat) for small runs or cut a 1/2" wide strip and spot weld it tight to the back so you cover the gap.  That will eliminate blow through.  Weld the one side, but jump around to allow it to cool, only doing an inch at a time and then go to the other side and do an inch and so on.  Remove the strips and then get the other side if needed.  That is why straight cuts are your friend.  Also, take a hammer and dolly and make sure your 2 pieces are exactly even along the length of the gap, that way when you grind it down, you won't have thin spots.
P.S. Where in Lancaster are you?  Ever been over to Henry Welch's in Mountville?

Edited by McG - 05 Mar. 2017 at 10:29am
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 8:22pm
Hey McG,  
   Thanks for the tips on welding. I live in Washington Boro.  Henry's is only about 3 miles from my house. I have been to his shop a couple of times. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2017 at 9:55pm
Started on one of the bigger patch panels on the passenger side, this side had rust but also the metal was severely stretched from hitting and rubbing hard on something all down the side,
I wanted to try and repair the side panel and if I cant then I will replace it but not until I give it a good try
And now the panel is welded in I need to do some grinding.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 2:16am
Andy - keep the pics coming .. they are a great help for me as I prepare for this part of the project .. still a ways off, but I'm "learning" (I hope) as I read...

thanks

Jim 
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 2:56am
I am glad to hear that this is good information for you,
I had a look at your build thread and what a great jeep and have fun
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:18am
A few years ago I did the rust work on the 3B, Measure up the patch and clamp it to the body. Scribe around the edges and cut to the lines with a cut off wheel in a right angle grinder. Clean up the area and weld. There is a bit more involved to finish things but that's how I got things to fit. Including the round pieces on the rear corners.
Just don't put your hand on the place you just welded.
uncamonkey
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 11:15pm
just some more rust removal and patching, and one of the other things I have been experimenting with is wheel colour, one is body colour, old cat yellow and the other is a medium grey or machinery grey and so far I am liking the machinery grey.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 12:21am
Hey Shadow    I just did the same basic repair to my Willys today.  I spot welded it just like you did and it worked out pretty good. Then went back and welded the whole piece in. The tips you gave me earlier really helped me out a good bit. 

Thanks again,  Sparky
Mark
1946 CJ2A
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 2:59am
Hi Sparky I was looking for your post or build thread ? do you have one, I would like to see your jeep project
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:55pm
Hey Shadow,   I do not have a post or a build thread.  Not sure how to do it.  I take pictures with a digital camera. 
Thanks,  Sparky
Mark
1946 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>