Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jpet avatar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jpet avatar
    Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 10:07pm
Hey Jpet, If you don't mind me asking whats the story on your avatar? Is that an air compressor you have hooked up? Thanks Joe Wadoyado.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 8:18am
That's a Willys advertising photo.  Check out a copy of Fred Coldwell's book "Preproduction Civilian Jeeps" for more.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 3:54pm
The photo is one of a series of photos that Willys-Overland had made illustrating the practical uses that the civilian jeep could be used on the farm and in industry. The jeep in the picture is actually one of several CJ-2 preproduction test jeeps that were used in 1944-45 as test beds for various features that W-O hoped to market for the post-war civilian market. The preproduction CJ-2 is an extremely rare vehicle as there were only a very few made because the war department only allowed only a few to be made during the war. I believe, if memory serves, that only 2 or 3 still exist.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

The photo is one of a series of photos that Willys-Overland had made illustrating the practical uses that the civilian jeep could be used on the farm and in industry. The jeep in the picture is actually one of several CJ-2 preproduction test jeeps that were used in 1944-45 as test beds for various features that W-O hoped to market for the post-war civilian market. The preproduction CJ-2 is an extremely rare vehicle as there were only a very few made because the war department only allowed only a few to be made during the war. I believe, if memory serves, that only 2 or 3 still exist.

Look a little closer. The jeep in jpet's avitar is actually his Cj2A General Willys. The the guy in the picture is Jeff himself. He and Bob3b (I think) reproduced the picture you are describing a few years back. I'm I sure they would be happy that you mixed them up. That means they did a darn good job at matching it up.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 5:38pm
Thanks to all for the reply. Last yr I saw a small compressor pump that mounted directly on the PTO shaft on Craigslist. Looked interesting wondering if that was what the avatar had and if it worked? I've always been interested in the Utility side the Jeep. Thanks again Joe Wadoyado
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 6:01pm
 Anyone who has any interest at all in the history of the CJ2-A really needs to have a copy of Fred Coldwell's book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps. In my opinion, it is absolutely essential to have in order to understand the changes that the war-time jeep went through to become the CJ2-A.
  You could probably get one from Fred by PM'ing him here. I read and re-read mine so much I wore it out, and Fred kindly gave me another.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Look a little closer. The jeep in jpet's avitar is actually his Cj2A General Willys. The the guy in the picture is Jeff himself. He and Bob3b (I think) reproduced the picture you are describing a few years back. I'm I sure they would be happy that you mixed them up. That means they did a darn good job at matching it up.

HA! The joke is on me... I see the differences now that I examine the avatar carefully. They did a very good job of getting it right.

I don't know jpet personally, but I have enjoyed his sense of humor on here on several occasions.

Thanks, Stan, for pointing this little known secret out...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Anyone who has any interest at all in the history of the CJ2-A really needs to have a copy of Fred Coldwell's book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps. In my opinion, it is absolutely essential to have in order to understand the changes that the war-time jeep went through to become the CJ2-A.
  You could probably get one from Fred by PM'ing him here. I read and re-read mine so much I wore it out, and Fred kindly gave me another.   BW

I have to agree, Bruce. The book is very good at telling how Willys-Overland arrived at the final production design of the CJ-2A and each of the design steps that were taken to produce the little truck that we love so much...that is when they are running properly.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2017 at 12:29am
The picture came from a very cool project that I was a part of along with Fred, Tremaine Cooper, Todd Paisley, Keith Buckley, and Sean Collins to recreate the early style CJ2 prototype canvas top:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj1-cj2-canvas_topic9838_post154605.html#154605

Fred's book was very instrumental in recreating the top as well as his agrijeep X33 and Tremaine's agrijeep X30

The picture was created on page 9 and Bob3B adjusted the color to make the final picture on page 10

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj1-cj2-canvas_topic9838_post176571.html#176571

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj1-cj2-canvas_topic9838_post176814.html#176814

... Fred and Tremaine's tops are two of my favorite projects and the research was quite helpful for GW's soft top with rollup doors. I see that project is 6 years old now. Time flies....

Edited by jpet - 16 Jan. 2017 at 1:20am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 5:26am
Well, I'll be doggoned!  I never looked closely at the avatar pic, as it looked to me like the Willys photo.  Now I see that it is more in focus than the original and everything.  Whaddaya know??
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 3:01am
Looks like I'll be getting Fred's book as soon as I can, maybe try Bruce's suggestion haven't PM anybody yet need to learn anyhow. The 48 that's been in the family since 1950 came with the "Universal Jeep" sales book, if you notice on page2 there is a similar pic of a guy painting (probably same model), but the air compressor is huge! Didn't know the pic was all about the top, but I really like that compact pump. Anyone ever seen one in action? And speaking of tricky photos anyone ever notice the pic printed backwards on the cover of the sales brochure? Looks like outside mirror and steering wheel are on the left. Joe wadoyado
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 11:18am
More useless information on the original photo - the man in the shot is Harvey Hill. He is painting a pig barn at Cesor Farms in New Hudson, MI. Harvey is seen in many of the CJ2 pictures taken at Cesor.
Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 1:14am
Bill I don't think that's useless information, I find it very cool especially that he's a fellow Michigander. Did he get any perks for the shoot, like a new jeep with every attachment? Thanks Joe Wadoyado
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 11:41am
Joe,
I actually met Harvey's daughter a couple of years ago. She still has the original photographs Willys gave her dad. She was really interesting to talk to. She grew up on Cesor Farms.

Harvey was like a supervisor at various farms- Sorenson owned quite a few different farms in New Hudson, South Lyon and Farmington. He didn't get any perks other than driving these preproduction Jeeps, He was just doing his job.

Where abouts in MI are you?

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 1:27pm
I remember messing with the color and tone of this for Jpet...it's a very close representation of the original photo.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 5:41pm
Bill, thanks for the info update "very interesting". As far as where in Mi.? I bought our original 10arce "hobby farm" in Grand Rapids in the early 90's after my father pasted away. My neighbor has the last remaining commercial farm in G.R. So it still has that rural setting with development all around, though. When my father bought this place it had 300 apple trees and my father used the 48 to drive to work at G.M. as well as run a 3cyl. Hardee orchard sprayer(quite the contraption),a buzz saw, and a 4 gang disc harrow. Always had a interest in ag. attachments. For yrs I've wanted to make a man lift off the back of the jeep with a sprayer attachment to paint the barn and house, which is why I was interested in Jpet's avatar. If your in the area look me up. Joe Wadoyado
 Post Reply Post Reply