Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MDJuan Tubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2013 at 11:08pm
In my recent experience it is very important to have you're frame checked to make sure it meets the specs in the manual. Just a small bend that you cannot detect by sight can mess up a whole lot of mounting points. My frame looked fine but was out in 3 places.
groundhawg
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2013 at 1:28am
One other measurement that seems to be off is the fitting of CJ2a seat frames. 2A frames do not reach the wheel well rests. The most common explanation is that your patterns are based on a 3a tub which explains the discrepancy. Can you comment on this at all?Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
RommelJuan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2013 at 1:41am
let me get back to you on this damar2yxr 
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2013 at 8:22pm
I was going to bring up the 2a/3a rear wheel well thing too. As the owner of a 3b, I had thought about a new tub when I did mine, but had seen a few and saw that there was a seam across the firewall where they clearly took a 3a tub and added the 4.5 inches to the firewall to clear the f head motor.

Also, I have seen some of the spot welds and how much you see them compared to an original tub.

I have not bought one of your tubs, but in the future might have a need for one.

I've seen improvements over the years in the quality of the MD Juan tubs and applaud your willingness to get input on improving them further.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2013 at 2:14pm
Here are the differences of the 2a and 3a wheel wells (or wheel housing as we call it here) that we have been doing with our tubs. We have differentiated our CJ2a and Cj3a wheel wells since early 2000's.

We also measured the original CJ2a that we have.

FYI :)
Keeping em rolling from the Far East!

All for One at MDJuan!

http://www.facebook.com/MDJuanjeeps
http://www.twitter.com/mdjuanjeepparts
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2013 at 2:33pm
Rommel, you do notice the different lengths of the wheelhouse ribs between your tub and the original,right? To some that is an obvious key that a replacement tub has been used. THe 2A ribs go all the way forward, the 3A changed in mid 51 to ribs more like yours.  And the profile of the ribs is a weird non symmetrical shape.

I realize wheelhouse ribs do not affect the jeep's ability to go down the road or the fit of other parts and pieces, but that is the sort of accuracy we strive for when restoring jeeps.

How about the top bow sockets?? Why are they left off? (Perhaps to save time for those without original top hardware and aftermarket tops?) Maybe they should be provided in a box with the tub and the tubs need to be marked somehow for accurate installation by the end user??
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2013 at 3:13pm
this is where we put our serial numbers on flat fender jeeps. On the toe board brackets.

for the round fenders we put them on the firewall:

All for One at MDJuan!

Heimbig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimbig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2013 at 9:52pm
RommelJuan-  I have a couple of questions about the latest version of the CJ3B or CJ3A body tub kits.  Someone else asked for a photo of the firewall from the front for the CJ3B to see if it has a seem where a piece is just added to the 3A firewall or is it one piece like the factory willys.

Next, I assume that the JEEP script on the front of the toolbox is not there because of royality issues with the name.  The royality is based on the price of the object it is on.  Since the grille, hood and tailgate can be bought seperate the royality issue would be based on each part and the toolbox being attached makes the royality issue on the whole tub.

This brings me to the issue of a grille, why don't you include the grille with Willys on it in a Mater kit?

Also are the fenders with the 3A/3B kit still M-38 fenders.  That is do they still have the support lip about 2 inches from the front of the fender that runs from top to bottom, also the holes to bolt the fenders to the grille are cutout(this allowed the army to fold down the grille on an M-38)  The stock 3a.3b fenders have holes to bolt to the grille like a 2a.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your product.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 6:53am
Hi Mike,

Yes, our CJ3B firewall has an extension plate welded to the firewall plate.

And presently, our CJ3A and CJ3B fenders are the same as M38. 
We will just make new blanks unique to CJ3A and CJ3B fenders. We will inform everyone once this is all available.

thanks,
Rommel

All for One at MDJuan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Rommel, you do notice the different lengths of the wheelhouse ribs between your tub and the original,right? To some that is an obvious key that a replacement tub has been used. THe 2A ribs go all the way forward, the 3A changed in mid 51 to ribs more like yours.  And the profile of the ribs is a weird non symmetrical shape.

I realize wheelhouse ribs do not affect the jeep's ability to go down the road or the fit of other parts and pieces, but that is the sort of accuracy we strive for when restoring jeeps.

Thanks for the info Bill. We will develop dies for the 3a wheelhouse ribs and report the progress here.

Please show us the non symmetrical shape that happened mid 51 so that we are informed.

Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

about the top bow sockets?? Why are they left off? (Perhaps to save time for those without original top hardware and aftermarket tops?) Maybe they should be provided in a box with the tub and the tubs need to be marked somehow for accurate installation by the end user??

We really don't include the top bow sockets and just supply it as an optional accessory. This is because it gets damaged in our crate.

But seeing that the market calls for it. We will include them. 

I will post pics of our repro sockets as well as top bows.

All for One at MDJuan!

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:13pm
That's the main thing I did not like about the 3b tub was that seam on the firewall...I just could not stand looking at it!

yes, there are subtle differences in fenders over the years, All will fit, but are not correct. It takes a trained eye to spot, but there are quite a number of trained eyes here.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:24pm
Hi Rommel,

This has turned out to be a really good thread.  I can't wait to see the end result of these discussions  I'd love to see some photos and/or videos of your operation.

BTW.  do you have a jeep?  If so, let's see.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:28pm
this is my Jeep :)

All for One at MDJuan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:29pm
I posted this before.

This is our operation at MDJuan:

Our french dealer took these pictures when he visited last year:

All for One at MDJuan!

regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:32pm
I will add my .02 here, relative to my early 46 (#13241). After purchasing a full floor, utility box and windshield I experienced the following:
a. After cutting out the original floor the MD Juan floor did not fit, nor did the utility box, due to mismatching contours. I replaced the original floor with new metal, hat channels etc.
b. I returned the previous, but kept the windshield. It failed to mount to the tub as you can see in the attached picture. Additionally I had to change out the popsicles and; round to square washers on the top bows brackets. I should have returned this item and found an original as it would not have required anymore work.

Sorry Rommel, I too encourage more originality. If I were to replace everything above the frame, an MD Juan would work for me. I have seen Jeeps with total MD Juan body parts and they look original.

I went back and re-read all of the previous post and found where you said the cowl measurement had been corrected in June of 06, About the time I had purchased the windshield that didn't fit.

Edited by regor - 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:44pm

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by RommelJuan RommelJuan wrote:

I posted this before. ....
Oops! Embarrassed Sorry.  I see that now.  Thanks!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 3:08pm
Here's an interesting read on the wheelhouse top issues. We have a similar thread on the 3A page, researching just when the length of the ribs changed. Nobody yet has come up with the actual design Willys intended for this part. We are working on it.

Note that your 2A wheelhouses are not correct, the ribs, besides being the wrong shape, do not extend all the way to the front of the panel.  They are quite functional and an excellent replacement for the part, just not right on a show jeep. Again, what we are trying to acheive is a tub that looks like and interchanges completely with an original.  And original parts fit it well with minimal adjustment. Every change you make gets us closer to that ideal.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2013 at 4:41pm
I know that their stuff isn't perfect, but I still love seeing those jeep body's and parts being made.  Shelves and shelves of parts in there, I wish that was my garage ha-ha.  Cools pictures Rommel thanks for sharing them with us.Big smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>