Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

metal_miner Kubota swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 1:03pm
John, that looks like the pivot for a swing out tire carrier with the clamp on the driver side.
I agree with John, neat project, a small diesel as a power plant in one these is a great idea. Should last for a very long time.
From the looks of it, when you are done, I bet with your pile of torn off items you will have almost enough to put another Jeep together.

Edited by bretto - 30 Nov. 2015 at 1:23pm
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 5:21pm
Metal_miner...it is looking really nice. Great work.

Regarding the Willys fan noise...I do love the sound of it....but.....the turbo on my Kubota sounds even cooler (to me)  and the interior of my Jeep is so much quieter with the Kubota. I was really afraid that I would miss the Willys sound but the turbo singing makes up for it. I can actually carry on a conversation in my Jeep...even with the top up now that there is no fan noise. My Kubota runs ultra cool...around 190 on even the hottest days....
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
metal_miner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2015 at 5:15am
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

From the looks of it, when you are done, I bet with your pile of torn off items you will have almost enough to put another Jeep together.

I've actually sold many of the parts to a coworker whose son bought two old flatfenders earlier this year. He's happy and I get $ to "reinvest" in my project.

I kept the old frame and fenders for measurement and mock up purposes. I'll eventually get new wheels and tires...

But, yeah, over the past few years I have accumulated a few extra parts while deciding on the the scope (creep) of this project. LOL
M38. SM465, 3.6 D18, Saturn OD. Soon to be Kubota V2203.

Other toy: 2003 Dodge Cummins with a few mods to 725 HP/1260 TQ.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 12:01am
Work has been extremely busy, so I haven't been getting as much time on my swap as I wanted. However, it gave me a lot of time to think about details I've been spinning my wheels on:

-front shackle angle
-engine mounts
-fuel tank
-transmission crossmember
-radiator

After a lot of body off - body on - repeat, followed by drivetrain out - drivetrain in - repeat, cutting out and redoing work, I'm ready to post some updates starting with the next post.

Edited by metal_miner - 19 June 2016 at 12:57am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 12:18am
Front shackle angle:

I screwed up my measurements I gave Jeremy at Throttle Down Kustoms and found that with the drivetrain weight on new suspension, my front shackle angle was too steep. It would probably only get worse when the springs started wearing in.

I cut these mounts off and made new mounts:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 12:32am
Engine mounts:

I decided to switch to hydraulic engine mounts, so that required making new frame buckets.

First, I had to buy a new press courtesy of Harbor Freight coupons and then outfit it with a SWAG weld it yourself press brake kit. I also bought their arbor plates because the cast HF ones are known to shatter under load. Safety First!

I used 3/16 flat bar, laid out the measurements, cut the angles with my SWAG Portaband, and 10 minutes later had these:

I spent about 2 weekends juggling the drivetrain as well as body tub and fenders followed by repeated measurements for angles, firewall and radiator clearances, tacked the mounts in:

After I made new frame buckets, I modified the engine mounts via new holes, filling in old holes, and adding in some lifting brackets:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 12:56am
Fuel Tank:

I want to install a rear fuel tank under the tub. The steel postal jeep tanks are not available anymore so I ordered a plastic tank from MTS. I did a test fit - or shall I say attempted a test fit - and it wouldn't fit in the space because the second to last crossmember, which you can see with a TDK logo cut into it from an earlier post of mine from November, was about 2 inches too close. In addition the rear bumper had a flange on it where the fuel tank skid plate bolts to, which stuck about 1.5" inboard. The plastic fuel tank from the molding process is not a shape with right angles. It bulges out at its seams and therefore takes up extra space.

Long story short, I'm going to design a rectangular aluminum tank. I also cut out the TDK crossmember and built a new one out of 0.120 wall 1.5" DOM and moved the new crossmember 3" forward. I installed 3/8 threaded weldwashers from Ruffstuff Specialties in this crossmember as well as in the rear bumper flange for the tank skid plate:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 1:04am
Transmission crossmember:

This part took me 3 months to figure out. In short I built 4 different crossmembers and installed / resinstalled 2 different types of frame brackets before I ended up with a design I was satisfied with. The main sources of causing this much time and energy to be spent was juggling body tub clearance, engine mount redesigns, and clearance against the D18 transfer case torque mount.  Pictures of the crossmember will come later, but these are the frame brackets I ended up with:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 1:19am
When you look at the following pictures, it's obvious I skipped showing you a few things around the transmission mounting and radiator mounting. I'll explain these in the coming weeks, but the following shows where I am today.

I had  coworker's son come over a do finish welding on  the various mounts I wasn't confident yet in welding. He had just graduated from trade school so I figure I would give him his first paying job in his chosen career. It's amazing what I learned by stepping back and watching. Later on I had new tips and techniques to practice. Anyhow, some pictures - the crappier looking welds are mine:

Degreased / cleaned frame:

Hoping to paint the frame next weekend:

Hoping this is the last time the drivetrain is out:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:26am

Greg keeps on reminding me every few weeks to update this thread so here are some more updates by month.

In July and August 2016 I finished up my leaf spring plates and transmission crossmember.

The spring plates are made out of 3/16 and I had them bent at a fabrication place. The shock mounts were purchased off of EBAY. I didn't end up using the plates on the front axle because of clearance problems with some brake lines due to where I drilled the holes and the 1/2" U-bolts I used so I reused my old plates. I'll come back to these later when I get my jeep running on the road again.

The crossmember was built using mandrel bent pieces from Columbia River Mandrel Bending that were sleeved together and then welded. I used 2 bent DOM pieces, 1 straight piece of DOM tube cut to fit, and 1 long inner DOM sleeve that was a slip fit. The bent and straight pieces were plug welded to the inner sleeve and then the outer pieces were butt welded to the center piece. The bent pieces were notched to fit the mounting tubes that fit in the frame mounting brackets. The frame brackets were purchased from Ruff Stuff. The transfer case torque mount is a long tab with a nut welded to it. The tab is welded to a sectioned piece of 2x4 tube that I cut and ground to match the curve of the crossmember.

I then mounted the drivetrain back in the jeep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:38am
Shameless plug!

In September and October 2016 I started working on the hanging pedals. First, I had to beef the firewall. Most people on the forums work with old jeep so they plate the outside of the firewall. I messaged all these folks and asked them how they did it and they all said the old jeep sheetmetal sucks to weld. Because of this I decide to plate from the inside. I used 1/8" plate cut to fit and tried to weld the perimeter to the inner firewall as well as used plug welds. Well, the pictures tell the story. I'm not proud of it, but it's solid. I'll clean up and flatten the outer firewall surface with some epoxy filler.

I searched all over EBAY and bought a few different pedal assemblies to see how I could make them work with minimal modifications in terms of bent and short pedals. I bought Cherokee XJ and Geo Storm assemblies, but soon decided I didn't want to fit hydraulic clutch actuation to my L134 bell housing. So after more searching for manual cable clutch activated pedal assemblies I purchased Suzuki Samurai, Ford Mustang, and Honda Civic assemblies to mock up. I eventually settled on the 88 Honda Civic assembly since it required no pedal arm modifications and it only required a 4" spacer off the firewall for clearance. I also wanted manual brakes and low clearance brake MC so after a lot more research I purchased a brake booster delete from a tuner shop and a MC for an 88 Ford Aerostar. The spacer was built from 3/16 plate and small diameter DOM tube. I will tie the pedal assembly to the dash.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:42am
In October 2016, I started working on my radiator and intercooler mount. After a lot of searching, I decided on a Spectra CU845 radiator. It is for a newer CJ with 4 cylinder engine. The best thing with this radiator is that it has multiple flanges on it so I instantly visualized how I could mount it to a detachable frame as well as mount a shroud to it. Once I received the radiator I used my plasma cutter to trim the flanges. The IC was purchased from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291660453938?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The pictures show my THIRD iteration of my radiator mount. The first 2 versions I got fed up with and trashed because they were too bulky and heavy. The grill that wraps around the IC inlet and outlet will have rubber edges to cover any sharp edges.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:48am
In November 2016 I started on the radiator shroud. This is my first version built out of 22 gauge plate using my Harbor Freight brake.

I wasn't happy with the first version, so after 3 more iterations I ended up with this in February 2017. It is made out of 18 gauge plate. I used 2.75" tube I split in half length-wise for the forms around the radiator inlet and outlet as well as the crankshaft snout.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metal_miner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 3:21am
My next project is to figure out the clutch linkage. I'm going to use a cable operated assembly in conjunction with a design similar to the Advance Adapter chain clutch control.

On another note, one of the reasons this project is taking me so long is that I make 3-4 of something before I like it. I'm also learning this stuff as I go so I usually ruin a few pieces of steel in the process. The positive in this is that I've built up my scrap steel collection.

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 5:38pm
It is looking REALLY good! :)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 5:47pm
Wow awesome work
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2019 at 3:29pm
Any updates?
Thanks
Jay

Triton28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triton28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2019 at 3:35am
Got to love it Photobucket has ruined every picture in this post!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>