Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More barnfind '46 engine seized work- PART 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2013 at 2:42pm
lookin good. I can smell it running now. Oh wait, thats the smell of  my Jeep from the sweatshirt on the back of my chair.
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2013 at 9:23pm
I cant wait until you get it running, these are real simple engines, just make sure you have some compression, and the valves seal up and you are good to go.

FYI I did a total rebuild on my 48 a few years ago and had about 2K in parts and machine work.
I could have done what you did, but the motor was out and on the engine stand so I went thru it.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2013 at 12:33am
Pulled the jeep out of the garage and drained and cleaned the fuel pump filter, connected my temporary tank. Cranked over the engine to push fuel up to the carb. Turned key and bumped the starter, engine began to run and sputtered along so I shut it off. Then walked over to my GoPro camera and switched it on and then began my start sequence again, sprayed just a bit of starting fliud into carb and reached in with my foot and bumped the start switch. Engine started back up and I reved it to a high idle to begin breaking in the new rings. Oil pressure is reading 22 psi during a rev. Water temp reached 190 then dropped to a hair over 180. I over filled the radiator as it heated up it spewed out. Should have left the tappet clearance alone, but it runs good but is noisey. As I guessed it smoked out the neighborhood for a while and finally then smoking began to decrease. I ran it for twenty minutes, then shut it off for a retorque  when cold.
   Wow somebody here said they heard "gravel hitting their garage door" when they fired up their engine, and boy it sure shot out some grit and black soot when it burned out all the MMO. 
  Not excited about the low oil pressure but I plan on installing a new pump to help that out. At least it is a self propeled jeep again!! Wink Oh yeah I need to flash the field or whatever to get a charge outta the geny.

Here's a short video after about running 15 minutes

Edited by willysnut - 16 Jan. 2013 at 12:38am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Bear Gulch Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Gulch Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2013 at 2:01pm
VERY NICE !! Great looking jeep ! Your "barn find " is way above our recent "yard find" in the crazy world of occasional "great deals" Congratulations on a super find. Thanks for the neat pictures & thread! Maybe some day I'll learn how to post a picture. Bill
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2013 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Bear Gulch Bill Bear Gulch Bill wrote:

. . . . Maybe some day I'll learn how to post a picture. Bill
Bill, in the Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ, jpet and I have posted some useful links to instructions in this thread: Brief Picture Posting Instructions. So we don't trash this thread further, take any additional discussions to Testing and Support for the forum.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2013 at 5:53pm
Willysnut,

I would try with 20W50 oil to see if the oil pressure recovers. On those revs i thibk it would be nice to have it higher, just a thought!
Would be nice to hear it idling when you have everything settled.

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 12:31pm
Hey Jeff. That is absolutely gorgeous, my friend. Kudos on a good job!Thumbs Up
2many View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 6:31pm
Nicely done, sir!  Makes me want to go out and try and revive a couple of the piles I've got sitting!  Yours looks to be a very nice survivor - congrats.
Too many 2A's - ask my wife
'45 CJ2A (10231) in progress
'57 FC-150
'74 CJ 6
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 12:04am
Hi WillysNut

I dont think I have ever heard a CJ2A motor run...So now when I get mine to fire it should sound nothing like the new stuff does....sorta kinda reminds me of a sewing machine.

You are much more talented (and braver too) than I am...I can swap parts around.....but as far as getting stuff to run and figuring out what is wrong when there is a problem...I am dumb as dirt....

So how long have you been puttering around with these old vehicles???

Thanks for posting...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 3:51pm
I've been foolin with jeeps since '76 when I had a new 1975 CJ5. wrecked it and bought an ol willys wagon. Dropped a 289 ford engine in it an never looked back. Bought my 1st flatty in '08. Had early CJ5s before that. I am a mechanic by trade, but don't let that slow you down, most of what I know about jeeps I learned from forums like this one! 

Next step in the barnfind engine is to replace the oil pump- easy to do just have to line up the distributor shaft properly. It has an offset tang on the bottom of it that can keep the new pump from sliding in if new pump is not indexed properly. Plan on taking several pics- more nice weather coming this way for a few days. 

Edited by willysnut - 28 Jan. 2013 at 3:54pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2013 at 6:42pm
Picked up my new oil pump and installed it using the 'ol skool book of knowledge in my noggin. Turned the key to see what the oil pressure would be now. Pushed the starter switch and it began cranking, but nada, nothing. I figured I had installed the pump per the willys manual but not so much!!! Anyway today I tweaked my plug wires to get it running with an incorrectly installed pump per the Geico schematic. It fired up and I had to set the timing by ear to get it to idle.

I even took the jeep for a short drive around the nieghborhood-even with dragging brakes. ran good with oil pressure 40psi cold and 20 after warm up. Here's a short unedited video of the engine running;

Edited by willysnut - 02 Feb. 2013 at 6:48pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 1:24pm
Back to top,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12