Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motivational speech

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motivational speech
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 7:18pm
You know that old jeep you keep wanting to stop and ask about?
This is to motivate you to ask!
Sitting in a shed I've driven passed a hundred times, is a very original early cj5.
I don't have a cj5 and that seems like a good reason to get one
Well I never have asked about this one.... and last time I drove by this is what I saw

THE JEEP is sitting in the 2nd bay from the left UNDER that big pile of snow!!!
So much for nice original sheet metal!
Just wish it had been parked in the 1st bay where the stupid boat is!!

ps (NO FLATFENDERS WHERE DAMAGED IN THIS SHED)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 7:24pm
And yes I still plan on stopping to ask about.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2017 at 5:45pm
Maybe it got lucky and did not sustain to much damage.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2017 at 10:06pm
There is a place here where one family never threw away an automobile. now they had 18 kids in the family so not hot little 2 dr coupes they were all big 4 doors etc. But there were a few neat ones in the pile that went back to just before WWII. And for years and years people would stop and ask about buying one or two. Heck as a kid I did. And one day there was one hell of a wind storm and since they were all parked out under the oaks the wind storm messed up about half of them. And almost all those were the older neater cars.

The answer everyone got when asking about the old cars was that one day they would be worth so much more they were going to hang on to them. Well by the time they were willing to sell (wind storm and the old man passing on) no one was stopping by any more and most of them were hauled off for scrap metal.

I did hear a couple of the oldest ones and a Corvair were parted out but with much of the sheet metal either rusted or bent to sh*t they got nothing compared to what they would have 10 or 20 years earlier.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2017 at 10:31pm
 At one time I thought about obtaining and restoring some old horse-drawn wagons, buckboards, buggies, and wooden-framed farm equipment, to then be sold for yard-art or whatever. I thought that once I saw how they were built, I might even build some from scratch. People were paying big bucks for that stuff.
  A farmer down the road a piece had a bunch of farm wagons, farm equipment, etc. lined up along the fence in a pasture, drying out, rotting, falling apart and being rubbed to pieces by cattle. I tried to buy some of them, but got the same old,"No, I'm going to fix them up myself some day."
  One day the pasture burned, probably started by a tossed cigarette butt from a passing motorist. I was one of the firefighters on that fire, and got to see all that stuff destroyed. I almost felt like crying. Cry  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 12:29am
That's happening a lot out here in New England, most of the old barns are gone or going because people can't afford to maintain them and the old "swamp yankees" out here hate to part with anything. I did a lot of restoration work on an almost 300 year old barn in town, while we were working there part of the foundation caved in from a heavy rain, if we hadn't already supported a lot of it, it would be in the hole.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 5:15am
What about that Corvette museum that had a sinkhole open up under it?  Lots of Chevy's finest sitting in a museum and still destroyed...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Labe46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Labe46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 5:01am
My wife's grandfather just passed down number 80701, a 1946 to us. It had been in his barn in Chilhowie VA for what he figures was at least 15 years. It has 19,128 ORIGINAL miles. It has rear PTO with front weight he says he is pretty sure came on it. I am super excited and cannot wait to get her on the road!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 5:47am
Very nice.... has a newgren 3 point and possible governor as well. Would like to see more pics of this one.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 6:01am
Wow! Awesome looking jeep.
Definitely start a thread on this one, if you haven't already.
We need lots and lots of pictures

I see that you did start a thread for it.

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 12 Feb. 2017 at 6:10am
1948willysjeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948willysjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 4:02pm
Not sure of your familiarity with the jeep three point lifts but they are sought after. Take inventory of what you have and possibly what your missing. Then look in the barn for the missing parts. Some dismiss all the little pieces as old junk farm equipment and scrap them. Awesome jeep!
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Labe46 Labe46 wrote:

My wife's grandfather just passed down number 80701, a 1946 to us. It had been in his barn in Chilhowie VA for what he figures was at least 15 years. It has 19,128 ORIGINAL miles. It has rear PTO with front weight he says he is pretty sure came on it. I am super excited and cannot wait to get her on the road!

Welcome and congrats!  From the manuals I've scoured on this web site, that sure looks like the front weight that was used to offset the equipment weight hanging off the back - so I'd say your grandfather was correct.

Abingdon is a hike from NoVa but if my daughter gets into VT I'll have to come check up on your progress! If you get up my way, holler and we can compare notes ... yours looks like your starting with one in better shape than I am .. :)

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 1:39am
Nice looking untouched jeep. By the way, the rear bow set up belongs installed in the sockets behind the driver and passenger seats on the wheel wells. Those are for the front.
willys jeep
501st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 501st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 12:40pm
Know of 3 more Cj2A's within a 3 or 4 mile radius of me. One of them in use on a farm. Going to ask about all of them!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 1:05pm
That is a sweet one to find. Has lots of goodies on it. Definitely look around that barn for the arms and adjustors for that hitch. There is a discussion and some photos about that hitch here on the page that is recent, that will show you what the stuff looks like. That will save you the trouble, and the money, of trying to find those things later.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply