Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Patches"- another WWII tribute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 12:33pm
Wow, impressive work.  You are dealing with some rust...  I like the idea of using the straps to hang the body from the garage ceiling.  This might help me with my project.  Thanks for sharing all the great pictures.

Dave L.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 6:31pm
No problem Dave. The ratchet straps is a double edged sword, on the good side it makes it easy to make minor adjustments with moving a part up or down and it's a low cost method for those of us that are broke like me.
The down side is that it can be a pain to get the tub up high plus when you lower or break the strap loose the body drops a bit on that spot. Oh, and you have to make sure you don't melt your straps when welding or grinding.

Anyhow, my parents flew back home to CA yesterday so I am on my own working on this thing. Since everything is tacked in I am going through and putting down a solid bead on everything that needs it, and running short brass in areas on the driver's side floor that needs it.
This is the passenger side floor and firewall area that we have patched and fixed.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 7:49am
Today I decided to Hell with pounding out the driver rear quarter panel and made a new one.

sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 10:37pm
How are you going to weld that 1/4 inch lip on your new quarter panel? What did you cut that panel out with ?
Mark
1946 CJ2A
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 12:46am
I used 16g flat sheet steel bought at Lowes (frigging expensive at $30 for a square sheet).
For the Lip I cheated on this side and cut the panel out leaving the strip on, on the opposite side I am going to cut a 1/4" strip and weld it in.
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:54am
What did you use to cut it out with? Will you weld that strip on after you put the panel on?  Will you weld the lip from the inside? I keep on having trouble burning through the old metal when welding in the new pieces.  What for welder are you using?  My corners look like yours. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:42am
I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. I threw the first bead on the exterior of the panel but I found that I needed to weld the inside as well (most of the weld was ground off when I was smoothing it out).
I'm using a flux core mig machine, just an el cheapo Chicago electric. I keep my settings between 2 and 3 on the heat, the lower setting for the old metal, higher setting for when I'm working with fresh 16g steel. I still have burn throughs but have been realizing that if I speed up my welding vs trying to make slow pretty and tight beads that I don't have as many burn throughs.
I'll take closer pictures of the welds if you'd like.

Edited by 2t2-crash - 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:44am
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 6:14pm
Could you post some close ups of your welds? Thanks
Mark
1946 CJ2A
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 6:30pm
Sure thing, just don't judge. LOL

I'll have them up shortly.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 9:50pm
I haven't cleaned the welds in the back but here's how I have it welded in
The front:

Inside:

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 11:19pm
WOW!  Lot's of work.  I'd love to get in on the ground floor of the BONDO concession on this jeep since I suspect you will be going through ALOT of it! (lol)

Given a brand new steel MB body will run about $5K, how much do you anticipate saving rebuilding the old body (or are you just doing the work for the experience).

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 11:32pm
I'm guessing around $2500-$3000. I'm at home all day and have a lot of time on my hands so it saves money, let's me work with my hands, as well as turn this rust bucket into an MB look alike without feeling guilty about messing with the body like I would have if it was in great condition from the start.
I am going to blast it and paint it myself as well.

As for bondo, you would not believe how much I have had to pull off this tub, I'm going to use Metal 2 Metal on the weld seams to smooth it out and do what I can on most of the damage but if there are dents and dings here and there like my drivers side step I'm not overly concerned since it adds character. Some spots on this had literally 1/4" thick bondo
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 5:17am
Originally posted by 2t2-crash 2t2-crash wrote:

I'm guessing around $2500-$3000. I'm at home all day and have a lot of time on my hands so it saves money, let's me work with my hands, as well as turn this rust bucket into an MB look alike without feeling guilty about messing with the body like I would have if it was in great condition from the start.
I am going to blast it and paint it myself as well.

As for bondo, you would not believe how much I have had to pull off this tub, I'm going to use Metal 2 Metal on the weld seams to smooth it out and do what I can on most of the damage but if there are dents and dings here and there like my drivers side step I'm not overly concerned since it adds character. Some spots on this had literally 1/4" thick bondo

Hey, if you have the time, tools and talent.... go for it

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 5:23am
The biggest thing is I don't have the money for a new tub.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 5:41pm
A little update:
My son wanted to help so I got him working on a patch. He learned how to use the bandsaw, table top belt sander, angle grinder and played with the welder on a scrap piece of metal.
He's pretty damn good at grinding down welds.

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:06pm
Not much work accomplished on the Willys so far but I did get practice converting 24v military lights into LED. These are going on my M416 trailer.

CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 6:29pm
John, That light came out great. Have you tested it yet? 
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 7:43pm
Boy does this bring back the memories! Not sure which of our tubs were the worse but dad and I spent the entire winter sticking it back together. Good time and means even more now that he’s gone.
My front forks were a mess too so it enabled me to do whatever I wanted without hurting anything. Think my rear quarters were worse so I rolled 11g diamond plate and very happy with it.

As for the BONDO concession, he didn’t make ANY money off me. Fiberglass; my friend & yours!

LOOKIN GOOD.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>