Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my TC3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 12:03am
I finaly got my trailer up north. It really didnt like going above 65 MPH!!!!!
I had a decent amount of tounge weight, but it still seemed squirly at speed.
Since they were ment to be towed behind a vehicle that would scream its guts out above 45 maybe I am expecting too much.
I had to take it offroad a little to see how it would work, and I was quite pleased with it. Also I was impressed by how easily I could swing the unloaded trailer around on snowy ground.
The ideology of RADICAL Islam is very much like Nazism, except they don’t have the cool black uniforms.
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 2:21am
You definitely need most of your weight up front or it will get squirrely.
I pull mine all the time at 75 with no problems, but you do need some weight in it.

Edited by dmeyerrph - 16 Dec. 2009 at 2:21am
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
fflintstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 3:26am
Originally posted by dmeyerrph dmeyerrph wrote:

You definitely need most of your weight up front or it will get squirrely.
I pull mine all the time at 75 with no problems, but you do need some weight in it.

I had it loaded heavy enought that it was difficult for one person to move the tounge, there were 3 engines, a front axle and a T90/dana18 combo. my guess would be 1500-2000 lbs? after connecting the trailer I then shifted the trans/Tcase from just in front of the axle to about a foot in front of the axle. I would think that should be more than enought toung weight.
When the weather is not freezing I will be putting water in the jerry cans the previous owner added. maybe a small ammo/tool box to the tounge.
The ideology of RADICAL Islam is very much like Nazism, except they don’t have the cool black uniforms.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 1:52pm
2000 lbs (sounds like more than that if those were complete engines..)  might have been a little much for that speed.. You also might want to go thru  your springs and axle with a fine tooth comb, there may be something loose or bent. You also might want to check and see if you have toe problems on the wheels, if you have excessive toe out it will make em behave evil.  I would expect 1/8 toe in per wheel  as a baseline as a WAG.

Was it squatting a bit with all that weight? If it was , just chalk it up to being overloaded and go slower next time.. Wink

The combo of short wheelbase tow vehicle and short tongue trailer will also add to the instability mix.  The few times I hauled my MBT on the highway with a pickup it behaved OK but not as stable as my longer trailers.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

2000 lbs (sounds like more than that if those were complete engines..)  might have been a little much for that speed.. You also might want to go thru  your springs and axle with a fine tooth comb, there may be something loose or bent. You also might want to check and see if you have toe problems on the wheels, if you have excessive toe out it will make em behave evil.  I would expect 1/8 toe in per wheel  as a baseline as a WAG.

Was it squatting a bit with all that weight? If it was , just chalk it up to being overloaded and go slower next time.. Wink

The combo of short wheelbase tow vehicle and short tongue trailer will also add to the instability mix.  The few times I hauled my MBT on the highway with a pickup it behaved OK but not as stable as my longer trailers.
Yes, short trailers tend to be less stable, more so behind a short wheelbase jeep.
They were complete engines (see picture in earlier post)the springs did flaten out some, but not too much.
while jeep trailer springs are fairly short, new trailer springs are shorter(18"-25" single axle) For whatever reason they give more stability to a trailer.

All in all it wasn't too bad, but I am used to pulling trailers that you really can't even feel behind you. I built a 4 x 8 flatbed trailer this summer and you dont even notice that one, even at 80.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 2:30pm

Got a heavily loaded harbor freight style  4 by 8 behind my truck right now.. plenty of tongue weight and tongue is about a foot longer than stock,  and when you get above 65 it starts wagging if you let it..  

Been traveling with it from NY to TX, and so far no major probs as long as I go 65 or less most of the time it isn't bad.  Before the trip it got new tires, wheel bearings,  major structural repair, and U bolts....but let me tell ya, if I can use my tandem axle 16 footer instead of it I will. That you can basically forget it is back there.

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2009 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by HillBillE HillBillE wrote:

Just thinking, since yours has a tailgate, it wouldn't have the floor drains.

The ones without tailgates would need the drains. They also could float with 500 lbs of gear in them!

Actually the early civvy ones used the military tubs, but covered over the drains to make them inoperative .......so the drain hole stampings were there  even with a tailgate. At least that is how what is left of the  floor im my 45 Tc3 looks.

Speakking of floating have you seen the military guys  have rowboat races in their trailers.. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2009 at 12:53am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Just thinking, since yours has a tailgate, it wouldn't have the floor drains.

The ones without tailgates would need the drains. They also could float with 500 lbs of gear in them!

Actually the early civvy ones used the military tubs, but covered over the drains to make them inoperative .......so the drain hole stampings were there  even with a tailgate. At least that is how what is left of the  floor im my 45 Tc3 looks.

Speakking of floating have you seen the military guys  have rowboat races in their trailers.. LOL
After I unloaded it and removed the protective piece of plywood, there were no drain holes. and not even the signs of a patch of any sort.
the military vehicle shows around here are poorly attended. you would be hard pressed to find a dozen MB or GPW's in one place at one time. out of the four michgan MV shows I went to this year, I think I only saw 1 or 2 M100 trailers and none of the shows have been near a body of water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2010 at 3:21am

The drains (if it has them) will be in the front left and rear right corners. Just a small round pull ring that can be pulled down and turned 90* to open/close the drain.

Drain:

I did the spring over and big tires on my '46 M416, but did it in a way that everything is easily put back to original.

They are great little trailers! I like the theme you have, and the Rambo photochop is great!
I was quite certain I did not have a drain in the right front, however, after unloading all the crap out of it and removing the protective wood I found this in the right rear corner. it looks like an oval plug, and a reinforcement strip. ANY THOUGHTS???
frederickflintstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frederickflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2015 at 7:08pm
I had to re register with a new name as my physical address and email had changed but I am back on this page. while occasionally using my T3-C I always wanted the real thing.
Well I picked up this baby for a I couldn't turn it down price and I will be restoring it as I am able.

first thing is to cut that plate off the ring and fab up a pintle hitch mount for my jeep.

frederickflintstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frederickflintstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 11:06pm
got a wild idea to run tandem trailers. opinions???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12