Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need an Honest Opinion/s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need an Honest Opinion/s
    Posted: 09 Sep. 2016 at 1:20am
Hello All:

Like the title says, I'm looking for an honest opinion/s on my 1940ish Bantam T3-C.  So much has been done to her I can't even begin to put it all down as my memory does not help due to TBI but I'll do my best.

Trailer was purchased from a Retired Navy Master Chief who at the time owned an Avocado grove.  I pestered him to sell till he sold it to me back in 2010.  The trailer was not in bad shape to begin with as the worst of it was just surface rust.  Once I took ownership of the trailer I proceeded to have it sandblasted, treated and powder coat cherry red.  The exact color is not cherry red but close.  I have forgotten the exact color given to her but if all fails, I can go back to the place where I got it blasted and coated and ask for their color match.

At the present time it has M416 trailer chains on but that's because the original chains were just too short for my Jeep JKU to use but I do have the original chains with me and they too were blasted and coated black...easy switch if you want.  Everything else on the trailer has been gone through meticulously and every bolt changed to grade 8.  The taillights are reproductions from a Model A or T, I do forget on that part.

I have the bows that were made for it from scratch.  They are reproductions as well and paid $475 for them, at the time.  Hardware is also included, by the way.  It does not, however, have the original 1 7/8 ball hitch.  I sold that one unfortunately.  Tires are brand stanking new.  At a cost of $150 per tire PLUS the tubes.  I have some $60 wrapped up in them.

In all I have some $3500 invested in this restoration and I'm basically looking to see how much I could honestly get if I was to sell her.  Again, I don't want to be misunderstood.  I'm not selling her at this time but contemplating selling her.  

The trailer sleeps nicely in an inside storage facility I have and has been in it ever since restoration was completed back in late 2010.  Please see pictures and please do chime in with your comments and opinions.

Here are some shot of before restoration.

After restoration.

Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2016 at 2:11am
Well the secret is out. You have $3500 into it. Seems to me you have to work from that point. Do you get more or settle for less?
Since you're not looking to sell you are in the drivers seat. The more you show it off the more chance there is that someone will see it and start a conversation. Who knows? Maybe he just "gotta have it".
If you google bug- out trailers and other places that make special trail ready / survival trailers you will see that they are asking a hell of a lot more.....and people must be buying them. At this point I think you are in the networking/marketing part of the plan. Someone, somewhere will be looking for a good trailer. Set your price based on what you can live with. I picked up an M416 and am doing the same thing you're doing.

I think I've got like $2000 into this restoration.
Oh and Semper fi jarhead!

Edited by damar2yxr - 09 Sep. 2016 at 2:15am
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2016 at 3:26am
damar2yxr:

Thank you for your response and for the honest assessment.  I welcome your comments and will be thinking about it.  These trailers do take up a lot of money to restore but it all depends on what kind of restoration you are looking for.  For this restoration, I really went all out...maybe too out.

I don't know what type of money these type of trailers might be fetching now-a-days, ESPECIALLY in the condition mine is right now.  That's why I was debating of not selling or selling.  I was told, by someone, that I would not be getting my money back on something like this.  Am I suppose to go by that suggestion?  

I have seen trailers in far worse condition fetching more money than my mere 3500 invested.  Of course, people always try to low ball you when it comes to negotiating a price.  Do you think that if I was to list this trailer at 4K FIRM, I would actually sell it?  The pictures do no justice to this little trailer.  You would have to see it to appreciate her for sure.

By the way, nice M416.  Is that a B1 by any chance?  I ask because I see the jerry can trays on the side and was just wondering.  It's looking pretty good.  Is that going to be your end color?  How long have you had it?

Thanks and thank you for your service and the one of your kids.  You must be a very proud papa, I know.  Semper Fi brother!!!

Thumbs Up
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2016 at 4:17am
It's just a 1967 Stevens that I found in a junk yard. I added a fabricated Jerry can mount and an ammo can strap box. The floor was bad and a repop one was too expensive so to save money I went with 10 gauge steel. I patterned it after some of the trailers I saw that I talked about that are expedition equipped. The color is the real deal desert tan in honor of my son. It has USMC markings now but is by no means authentic. When it comes down to it if I did sell it the price will not be the biggest determining factor. Yeah I'd like to get what I've got in it but to me I got my money's worth in the hunt, the creation and the use of it. If I can sell it to someone who appreciates the effort that went into this project that would be a plus as well. I don't like lo- ballers because they are disregarding the level of effort we put into stuff. Keep all of that in mind it might make your decision easier.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2016 at 3:18pm
Thank you for the sound advice.  I'll keep it all into consideration.  STILL!!!! I would not like to sell as this was one of my best restorations EVER and I have done 7 trailers already and this one, by far, has been the best and most memorable.  But, times and the lack of money have made me considerate the sale of it.  I have not decided wether I want to sell or not but I'll be some what sure by the end of January of next year.  We'll see about that then.

I like what you did with your trailer.  You were able to save it's life for sure.  Would you be able to post some more detail pictures of it.  You know, front, rear, sides, under carriage, inside tub, etc... I just want to see better pictures.  Do you have a data plate on her?  Does she have a serial number to speak off?

Good deal...Semper Fi brother Thumbs Up

1940's Bantam T3-C
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2016 at 10:28pm
I think it is overpriced for our area.
Not an original restoration.
Lights, hitch etc.
What did you pay for it initially ?
They can still be found in the $500-$600 dollar range; granted they won't be restored/pristine, but they can be found if you look long/hard enough.
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2016 at 3:00am
flatfender47:

Thanks for your views but I tend to disagree a bit on the over priced bid.  I have seen people purchasing 416 look-a-likes and paying way over $5K for them with nothing on them.

As far as the restoration is concerned.  I got as near as a complete restoration as I could without modifying it.  Given that the taillights are NOT the originals but this trailer didn't have the one original Arrow taillight to begin with.  I think I got as close as original as I could with the Model A taillights.  The chains are NOT correct for this trailer but like I previously said, I have the originals with me.  They are with the trailer at the present time.  The only part which I know it is NOT correct for this trailer is the 2" ball receiver I put in her.  The 1 7'8" was not going to cut it for me because I didn't have all the parts to make it work.  If you want to see pics of it, I have them with me and the same for the chains.

You made the comment that these trailers can still be found and YES, you are right about that but NOT in the condition I have mine.  When I originally purchased the trailer I paid well and beyond $500 so my first estimate of parts and labor included in this post of $3500 I did not include what I paid for the trailer.  If I was to add it, I would have well and beyond $4K easy.  I have 10 months of time invested on her.  I know I won't get that back but just to put it out there.

Thanks, :)

1940's Bantam T3-C
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2016 at 3:16am
I read your post the first time.
No need to preach.
You asked for an honest opinion.
I gave you mine. I think it's honest.
You don't like my honest opinion, that's okay.
Good luck with your in-the-future sale.
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2016 at 3:22am
I do apologize it I sounded a bit preachy and I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.  Was just giving you a background of where I was coming from and what has been done.  

I'm sorry if you took it that way.  I'm not here for that and yes I do appreciate your honest opinion.

Thanks,

Geek

1940's Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply