Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help on frame bracing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help on frame bracing
    Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 4:07am
Ok, if you are following my build you see that my frame is a mess. I am in the process of cleaning it up. I need to fabricate some support plates for the outside of the frame to strengthen it. There are some cracks and rust, and I think this approach is best. Once I have the bracing in place, I will address the cracks, etc. I am posting a before pic of a bunch of plate that will be removed. I am also posting a pic of a plate I will fabricate. I made the plate template with round edges. Is this better than pointed angles? What about the location of the holes. Each circumference of the hole will then later be welded to the frame to add strength. What about the location of the holes? The number four hole is right over then natural bend in the frame. Do I need to slide this hole over? Lastly, what thickness plate should I use, 1/4"? Thanks.

Edited by bosshoff - 21 Feb. 2017 at 4:32am
Chop chop
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 11:44am
Pattern looks nice. 1/4" would be way overkill in my opinion. I'd go 1/8, maybe 3/16 at most. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 12:09pm
generally curves and circles are better than angles in terms of stress risers... in this case I honestly dont think it matters so long as the point of the angle is at or near the midline and you dont leave a notch when you weld it.  Curves are harder for most folks to cut, fit and weld.  

You're cutting and fitting this, or applying it over the damaged section?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 1:15pm
This new plate is going to be "sistered" right up against the old frame.  
Chop chop
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 2:54pm
I would agree with what Mbullism stated with your patch having no sharp corners. Maybe a diamond shaped reinforcement would work in this instance. I worked in a truck shop where we would lengthen/shorten big rigs and this is how we would reinforce a section. Also be restrained from welding this patch in solidly, I would recommend imitating factory welding or welding in a skip stitch fashion. If your patch is too rigid, it will just shift the stress to the next weak spot and crack there.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 10:30pm
Ok, went to the steel store at lunch and got some 3/16" plate for the sister and 12 gauge sheet to redo the factory boxing.
Chop chop
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 5:57am
Progress. Cut in the intermediate M38 crossmember and pintle V-bracket. Used grade 8 bolts. Removed horrible passenger side plates. Found holes and cracks underneath them. I now have to start staging the work in steps. I have to get e side plates welded in to stabilize my frame. Next step is to pull all the new parts off and weld in the new donor rear frame horns/ends. Then weld in inner frame plates to back up the horns. Next reinstall all of the new parts. Weld in the V-bracket. Then fab and replace the rear inner frame boxing. Then weld in the rear upper shock mounts. Then POR-15 time!
Chop chop
jaybird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 7:43pm
that is what i will be doing soon to mine
Tommy
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 3:37pm
Jaybird, check out my Stealth Maggot build thread for more updates on the bracing.
Chop chop
jaybird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 6:25pm
thanks i need ideas on how to do the repair i think mine is a ford jeep maybe 1943 odd that right side is in good shape but left side bad
Tommy
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 11:24pm
Be sure to measure against specs and check your frame for aquare before you weld in the braciing. A lot of these old Jeeps have frame problems and cracks are just one symptom.

Your work looks good.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply