Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy questions and intro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy questions and intro
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:06pm
Hello everyone!

Well a 46 cj2a seems to have followed me home and I expect to become a regular reader of the site so I wanted to say hello and thank you in advance.

This isn't my first jeep or rebuild project.  I've had a problem with these bad ideas for years now. Quitters never win so I might as well just find new projects. 

As for my cj2a.  it's a basket case of course. original L Head is complete and turns but doesn't run yet.  3 speed on colum that I've never seen in a jeep before and the usual north east body and frame issues.

So here are my questions: ( yes I'll be searching database more soon)

1. 3 speed on colum? What why how do I make it go away?

2.  keep the L Head or swap it?  I'm considering buying a complete 1985 chevy truck with 4.3 v6 carburated and 4 speed.  I don't know if trans will even fit under a cj2 but I'm open to discussing. 

Thanks for all help and opinions. 

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:25pm
Welcome Mike
Make it yours!
But some here would say keep it the same!

RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:04pm
The very first CJ-2A's in 1945 and 1946 up to serial number 38221 were equipped with a column shift transmission and are relatively rare.

If the rig is in restorable shape it would probably be better to leave the L134 engine in it.

Welcome to the forum...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:39pm
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. 
On this forum we like all forms of flat fenders, but we tend to lean towards the more stock ones. When you say "column shift" many here get a bit of an envious twinge, then when  you say "how do I get rid of it?" some even get a little pain in their heart because of the rarity of surviving column shift jeeps.  Not that many made and lots of them got changed to cane shifters over the years.

That having been said, I strongly believe, as do many others here, that it's  your rig and your money so do what makes you feel good. 

We love pictures!!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:42pm
If you are serious about the 4.3 read the really long and detailed build thread about Bam Bam.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:55pm
Mike,

Welcome.  Post a few pictures of the 1946 if you can. 

One way to frame your options for the 1946 is there are four paths for you project:

1. Historical Rebuild - upside - Jeep will probable out live you and be taken care of long term.  Down side probably little to no off road use, lots of money and you will be chasing better parts forever.
2. Historically correct - upside - you can uses it off road carefully and it is saved in a close to correct condition.  Downside - you will not have the total car show Jeep but a working jeep and you will not have a trail queen.
3. Updated some modification - upside you get to have it your way sort of - but still looks like a 71 year old jeep, used off road.  Downside - it is a bubba modified jeep for all time.  
4. Heavily modified - Retains a title and some parts - Upside - you can uses any parts, any technology, get info from any on-line form, it will be awesome off road, anything you want to fund can be added. Some people end up with just a grill and a title after repeated modifications.  Down side - You will have ruined one of the few surviving Civilian Jeeps and probably should have purchased a rail buggy and hung a early CJ grill on it.

People on this site have experience with all of these options and have become comfortable with their choices.  They justify them based on budget, starting vehicle condition and a dream they have.  All good.

Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:23pm
Thanks for the info. I'll post some pictures later tonight. My current pics on phone are too large.

Interesting to hear the 3 on tree is rare or original.  I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'll think about it more. My first though was I hate it. I have no idea where the gear positions are and I'm used to floor shift jeeps.

That being said I'm open to keeping it if I go stock.

My original plan when buying it was simply a fun summer toy to put around town in on weekends.  I had no initial plans for a true restoration. I just like the flat fender look and history. But I won't rule out a full classic restore.

So far the bed was shot. Floors were replaced by someone with 12 guage. And sides were fair but need some patching.  frame has usual repairs and cracks at front just ahead of the springs. Rear of frame is getting a new rear crossbar and bumper tonight. It was shot.

So I assumed true stock was going to be difficult. Again I'm not ruling it out yet.

But I was thinking of sanding the frame and welding 3/16 plate on all 4 sides. The current frame is mostly solid but I didn't want to have 70 year old parts break while driving.

I removed the old bed already. I used a hand chisel to break the bolts out and simply a pair of gloves and my hand to pull the bed off. It was that solid. :)

I was thinking of just cutting a 40 x 36 inch plate and then fixing the inner sides of the bed with a new 12 guage box. Then seeing what I could do for the floors.

That being said it's cheap metal but a lot of welding so I am also considering a full omix body. 2800. Was what they had them listed at. My home made body would be stronger but theirs would be quicker. Are they considered "original" or is there a better more correct oem body I should consider?

Moving to the front. My fenders and dash are ok. My grill is fine. Hood isn't perfect but certainly in usable shape. 

Engine looks like if I rebuilt carb and either found a 6 volt battery or a 12 volt starter it would run. I haven't tried either yet but previous owner said he drove it into his shop 9 years ago. It's been sitting since.

Wires and electrical are completely shot. There wasn't a piece of copper that was burnt or chewed or just brittle and corroded. I pulled all the wires out the other day. Really they were junk.

My axles look good. Drive train in general is solid and clean. Brakes and lines are present and complete but not functional.

Tires are 16 x6.5 non directional. Hardly road worthy but jeep rolled on trailer with them. 

What happens next is yet to be determined.  I'll read the opinions carefully as well.

In the mean time I had kaiser willys .com send me a parts catalog.  sounds like I might be their new favorite person if I decide to go closer to original.

Again if there is a better parts source I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks.

mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:39pm
Assuming title is correct the serial number is 5298. ? That's what nj officially believes anyway.  odometer has 486132 miles. I can't find anything to make me believe otherwise yet. As for pictures does the site have a feature I haven't found yet to auto resize or do I have to compress pictures on my phone?

I have to work again for now. I'll come back to jeep issues later tonight.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:58pm
Serial numbers for the CJ-2A would have started at 10001 in 1945 and 11825 in 1946.

Title # 5298 would not match any CJ-2A serial numbers. But don't let that throw you. Let New Jersey DMV believe what they want to believe.

Possibly the serial number could have been 15298, 25298, or 35298 and still could have been a column shift 2A.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 6:01pm
Pictures --- You can resize your photos using an online resizer such as this one http://www.picresize.com/
My preferred method is to upload my pics to a photo hosting site like photobucket.com then  you can just paste a link into your post and your picture  will automatically appear in your post.  That's what I did with this one.  The picture is not really in the post, just the link that automatically displays the picture from photobucket.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 6:05pm
Also, check out this thread from the Tech FAQs section.  Sean has links to his spotters guide document that shows a lot of the different changes over the years to the CJ2A , and to his Serial number chart.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 6:27pm
Mike, Welcome to the madness!

1st, posting pictures is covered in the "Forum How To's" section further down the main menu as are a lot of other things that you will find handy to know.

2nd, forum search is your friend. Always use the advanced feature, it is found using the blue "advanced" link on the search feature. The regular search feature is useless.

3rd, It is your Jeep do with it as you please. I suggest that you get it driving safely, IE good brakes & steering. Then just drive it for the summer. No mods & keep it safe & reliable. After you have driven it for a while, you will know what you want to do with it. Then next winter you can do whatever mods &/or repairs that you want to. You may decide that it is not for you. Then you can sell it here to another Jeep nut.

4th, The shift pattern is the same for all other Jeep 3 speeds, just turned 90 degrees. Reverse is toward you & up. 1st is toward you & down. 2nd is away & up. 3rd is away & down. Try it first before you decide that it has to go, you may like it.

5th, The column shift is a rarity, if you do decide to yank it, sell it complete to someone doing a serious restore on theirs. Complete means, from the shift knob down to & including the transmission. It includes all the linkage & brackets. Send them all of it even the broken & bent stuff. This stuff is hard to find. Even broken stuff is hard to find, many folks on here can make new parts if they just have a pattern.

6th, The frame does not need to, nor should it be as beefy as you are suggesting. It is designed to flex a certain amount. If it can not flex, it will crack &/or break. By stiffening it up that much you may cause it to break. If it does not break, the stresses have to go somewhere, something else will have to deal with added stress. Think broken springs & axle housings. Heck, it has lasted 70 years, do not mess with success, at least not yet.

7th That serial number seems awful low. I think it needs one more digit.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. Again welcome to the forum. 

PPS. Yes, let NJ think what they want to on the serial number! Do not open that can of worms.

Edited by cpt logger - 26 Apr. 2017 at 6:30pm
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:13am
so here are the pictures so far. as you can see some disassembly required.  Ill post in the pics and  progress section  from now on.
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:15am
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:17am
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:19am
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:20am
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>