Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project!
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 3:38am
Finally got around to asking the in-laws about some old jeeps on the property and got permission to dump my own time/money into fixing one.  Figured I would start looking through the forums for ideas and what other people have done with their setup.  Right now i'm pretty sure i'm starting with cj2a, but its in a bit of rough shape.  I had three to choose from on the farm, well 2 1/2 kinda.  I lucked out when the best tub also had the crankshaft that turned.  I plan to patch the body on my own, and would like to do all the motor work possible, but it will be my first attempt at anything along these lines.  I've done what I to consider generic car stuff in the past, nothing to this extent.  
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 5:53am
Welcome and you should go back and get the other 1.5 Jeeps LOL  Looks like a 2A, did you get a title with it? What are your plans for it?

Data-->http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 1:02pm
Wait a second. You are just now getting around to asking the in-laws about some jeeps on their property?
Are you new to the jeep craze?
If I knew there were jeeps on their property I would have married your wife just to get at them.
How long have you been married?
If you got interested in Willys Jeeps BECAUSE you saw them on the property that's one thing and is understandable. If you've been a jeep freek forever then I wonder why it took so long to ask about these relics. Were these jeeps part of a dowry or something? .........marry our daughter and we'll throw n the jeeps.......
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 1:17pm
Seen it a million times... lure the guy in with dreams of a bomb Willys, let him do all the work and investment without a title, have the daughter divorce him and enjoy my...er, their new ride.  It's an ancient story LOL

(Have fun with it Wink , and welcome aboard!)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
dougc21032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 2:49pm
Hahaha. I owned a jk and loved it, then kids came along and sold it. I've known the jeeps were there but it was always a situation where the grandpa still thought he would work on them one day. I have asked approximately 4k times about them, finally got a, "have at it, I'm never actually going to do anything with them" depending on how this build goes, I might do more than one. Wife's uncle has a few also... Eyeing up an old navy one at his house, has a old gasoline heater on the hood area and seems to be in good shape overall since it has a cab. Gonna pull it out next. Cleared a space in the shed to store it already pretty sure I'm quickly getting into the jeep craze. Wife is gonna kill me.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 7:43pm
" Wife is gonna kill me."

But it's her fault!LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 9:31pm
Now I need to setup some sort of order of operations  (open to suggestions).  The more I can put on paper and "plan" the more I can show progress to the boss.  Also, I started the process of taking the tub off the frame and got to a point where the steering column is a hold up... any suggestions on how to properly remove the tub?  Time for me to go search the forums in the meantime.  
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 11:04pm
The thing is are you stuck because you cant get he steering wheel off? If so then there are a lot of threads on pulling the wheel. Take your time, you don't want to wreck the column. If not, then all you need do is drop the steering box. Three bolts and it's gone....oh and the clamp that holds the shaft to the dash.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:37pm
in Maryland, eh? I'll be there in a couple hours with trailer in tow ... send wife and grandpa out for a nice dinner and we can load the rest before they get back!!!  Big smile

I'm looking forward to your notes -- I'm just getting started myself...having to cut welds where the fenders had been welded to the tub decades ago....
Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by pilot195 pilot195 wrote:

in Maryland, eh? I'll be there in a couple hours with trailer in tow ... send wife and grandpa out for a nice dinner and we can load the rest before they get back!!!  Big smile

I'm looking forward to your notes -- I'm just getting started myself...having to cut welds where the fenders had been welded to the tub decades ago....
Jim

LOL, That would be certain death, for the two of us.  Luckily, the fenders on this guy weren't welded, I disconnected them over the weekend.  Had to use the torch on one bolt, but that's to be expected.  Think i'm using a different set of fenders on this guy anyways.  One is MIA and the frame I have available has two really good fenders on it.  I'm going to attempt the steering wheel removal sometime this week, along with taking out the drivers seat and gas tank  (have a stainless tank already :) ) 

Really cool to have such an active forum on these things.  Really wasn't expecting that, but its nice, hopefully keeps me motivated and moving along.  Gonna be hard when boating season starts up :P  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 4:24pm
Here is a picture of the other jeep I have to work with (The one I want to work on).  That windshield is all one piece, was told its a M38 (and I have a spare frame for it :P )  Need to check the drivers side for the indentations for the ax/shovel.  The motor didn't want to turn over, so we decided to pull that blue one out since that one turned super easy.  Going to get some oil on the cylinders and see if I can't get this motor to turn  :)  If it turns, i'm REALLY going to piss the wife off and have two project jeeps.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 4:42pm
Nice looking jeep, I don't think it's a m38,axe/shovel would be on passenger side and the grill doesn't look like a m38,could it be a cj2a with a different windshield . Seem to have front bumper gusset also.Really nice jeep.                                                                       

Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 4:47pm
I like that windshield, vent and such and the front bumper.  I will probably end up with them on w/e I end up building.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:05pm
Only an opinion, but my order of operations would always start with the engine/mechanicals(driveline)/safety(brakes/steering)...  you can have a blast driving patina, but all the shine in the world aint worth squat sitting still...

Get one to run, or at least know where you stand because you can drop a lot of money there... fast.  It may turn out they all got parked with issues and you still may be in search of an engine...  and you don't want to get months or year(s?) down the road and be faced with a ticket item decision-

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Only an opinion, but my order of operations would always start with the engine/mechanicals(driveline)/safety(brakes/steering)...  you can have a blast driving patina, but all the shine in the world aint worth squat sitting still...

Get one to run, or at least know where you stand because you can drop a lot of money there... fast.  It may turn out they all got parked with issues and you still may be in search of an engine...  and you don't want to get months or year(s?) down the road and be faced with a ticket item decision-

Thanks!  So my plan to start with whatever crank turned seems correct.  Gonna get the tub off and start with the potentially expensive stuff.  Patina is what i'm looking for on the outside anyways.  No plans to clean it up and get it painted all pretty.  
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:45pm
Nice new/additional project.  Can you post a few more photos from other angles?

Gil has a good eye.  Frame gussets are 2A/MB/GPW features.  The grill looks to be modified. Either late 2A or 3A with M38 headlight rings.    Hard to tell from this photo if the windshield is M38 or 3A.  If the vent is bolted shut...M38.  If the vent has hinges and opens...3A.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Nice new/additional project.  Can you post a few more photos from other angles?

Gil has a good eye.  Frame gussets are 2A/MB/GPW features.  The grill looks to be modified. Either late 2A or 3A with M38 headlight rings.    Hard to tell from this photo if the windshield is M38 or 3A.  If the vent is bolted shut...M38.  If the vent has hinges and opens...3A.

I should have time today to get over there and snap some more pictures to help identify.  I'll even take some of the spare frame I was told to move that body/engine/trans over to.  Try to identify it while i'm at it.  I'm pretty sure i'm going to end up with more than one project out of this... 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by dougc21032 dougc21032 wrote:

... we decided to pull that blue one out since that one turned super easy.  

"super easy" gives me pause, lol... and my order of operations would also typically involve buying a bag of chips, and then eating them one at a time, if you know what I mean LOL

(pick one thing, do it very well, and then move on to the next... rinse, repeat.  People that take on too many projects at once end up with multiple jeeps rusting away in the weeds while their son in law harasses them about fixing one of them up Wink )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>