Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 1:26am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Those extra photos did help. I can say with some certainty that the tub is an early MD Juan reproduction. It has a mix of features from the M38 and the CJ3A. Much of the sheet metal could be reproduction components. Maybe 1970s vintage. What is shocking is how deteriorated it is. I almost wonder if the red paint is actually the original primer finish from when the tub was shipped...and the PO didn't bother to paint it with a real top coat. Although, there is some green paint there too.

HA, i'm red green colorblind and would never pick up on any hints of green in there, lol.  As for its setup, the previous owner left it in the yard year round, and used it as a plow for snow and such in the winters.  In the past... 30ish years, its sat in a field and had trees literally grow up around it, the spare frame had a tree grow through it.  I appreciate all the insight, once I "finish" the blue one I have in the barn i'll tear into this red one more and figure out what is salvageable and what to transfer over to the spare frame.  This might be a prime candidate for a full replacement tub.  Will take and update more photos of the current blue project jeep this weekend.  
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 5:15pm
The red Jeep also has an M38 air cleaner. One hole for the snorkel, the other to the engine.

I'd like to see some dash pictures of the Navy Jeep.
dougc21032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 5:33pm
Navy jeep is FULL of parts and such.  But these two get you an idea of what the looks like.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 2:30am
Update.  Tub is off.  Wire brushed the top of the trans, shifter assembly, etc.  Shifter was stuck, took the top off to find some water in the trans and drained that.  Shifter would not move even when in a vise, so I was kinda hopeful that is the problem, decided to take the shifter assembly off one of the jeeps that shifted fine... which btw, was amazing, still sealed up, not a drop of water, bottom 1/2 full of gear oil... looks like it was rebuilt before being parked.  So, shifter assembly from that jeep was able to get the current trans to shift, little rough, but with water and no gear oil... makes sense.  So hit the frozen shifter with pb blaster and i'm letting it soak, returned the good shifter to its home, which I will now have to focus some energy on getting that setup out of any potential weather, but hopefully that won't be too awful.  Pretty good weekend overall, bit worried about the water in the trans... but knowing it shifts is a relief, time to start on some motor things and worry about patching the floor and hat channels on the tub.  Along with wire brushing everything else I can see... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 7:22pm
Also, while i'm thinking it.  I've been reading, and lots of people talking about putting diesel into the trans to clean things up.  I'm reading that correctly?  Should I fill it up and let it sit for a week, drain, repeat?  

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 2:30pm
Wheels off, locking hubs off, brakes drums off, carb cleaned, motor oil drained.  Going to head back today and see if I can't get the motor to try and fire up :)  Have to figure out the connections so I can attempt and gravity feed the carb cause the fuel pump/filter looks like garbage and I feel like I can address that after I find out if the motor actually wants to run.  Should I disconnect the almost 70 year old exhaust?  Worried something is going to be clogged in there.  Maybe take it off and see if I can blow some compressed air through? Wish me luck.  Maybe some updated photos today too.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 2:36am
Starter trouble today... Any suggestions on where to find rebuild parts for them? Bendix moves and is in good shape, brushes look decent but the stud is wobbly and not connecting right and whatever the coils are inside on the top, one or two are broke. Other than that, cleaned out the trans today, added new oil to the motor and got the glass bowl off the fuel pump which looks to be corroded pretty bad inside.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 3:07am
I've purchased brushes and bushings on eBay. I've seen the cable connection stud too. I have not seen new field coils offered on ebay. What starter do you have? Some folks here might have some parts.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 3:48am
Ebay has NOS Autolite 6 volt fields listed for 45.00

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2017 at 12:22am
So, the spare starter I found had the coil pieces I needed and now the starter is able to spin, but once it was reinstalled... it doesn't engage the flywheel.  Going to take it back off, removed the snap ring and try to clean the shaft and put some dry lubricant on there in hopes that it will work.  Thought about just ordering the hand crank and using that for starts.  Invest money into a starter down the road when other things are functional.  Also, here is a picture of the starter model.  Only picture I took as it was dinner time and the boss was already mad that I was down in the barn (again) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2017 at 6:58pm
Cleaned everything up, starter spins... but the bendix does not engage the flywheel.  *SAD*  When I remove the power cable, I can hear it kinda clicking against the flywheel, so it moves up, but not enough to engage the flywheel.  Google is telling me that the shaft isn't spinning fast enough for its momentum to move the bendix gear into place.  Back to the drawing board, maybe take it to a shop for a rebuild.  
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 3:16am
Before taking it to the shop, you might double check your grounds. Clean shinny grounds are critical for the starter to work at full power. If a 6 volt system, the battery cables need to be "0" or "00" gauge in addition to the clean grounds. Again, critical. If not super clean on the grounds, you're not delivering the full power of the battery to the starter.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Before taking it to the shop, you might double check your grounds. Clean shinny grounds are critical for the starter to work at full power. If a 6 volt system, the battery cables need to be "0" or "00" gauge in addition to the clean grounds. Again, critical. If not super clean on the grounds, you're not delivering the full power of the battery to the starter.

I did a quick clean of where I was connecting the ground to the mount, but never really did anything in depth.  I'll get to check that out this weekend and see what I can sort out.  Also, it looks like it was converted to a 12v system cause there is a older chevy alternator on there and the coil was removed/moved previously.  So I had the tech look up the stats on the older 6v battery and found a new 12v one with similar CA and CCA to ensure I wasn't using a older crappy battery that I had laying around from an old boat that I sold two years ago.... lol.  Cause who would try to use a battery like that?!?  
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 8:37pm
If it's already 12v you can buy a new gear reduction starter on ebay for less money than rebuilding the old one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 8:50pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 1:18am
That's the one, I was going to get one but my old one is holding out for now. I was able to take mine apart , clean it and reassemble it, what a pain, I wouldn't do it again. It seems to work fine on 12v though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougc21032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 1:32pm
Father in law has nothing buy time, he has taken it apart like 3-4 times already (could be also why its not working right, lol)  but still no go.  Gonna check it out tomorrow on the bench and again on the car and go from there.  Gotta figure out if this motor wants to run or if my timeline is going to be expanded exponentially by a motor rebuild.  
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 1:33am
What's a time line? More like a no time line for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>