Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh, where to start . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2014 at 12:54pm
While the frame is in my garage in various stages or prime & paint, I started the tub last night.  First order of business was to remove the rusted out flanges on the bottom where the old floor was welded in:

The sides weren't too bad, but the front of the tub is really rusted out:

Once you pull the floor, the body becomes really flimsy.  To keep it as true as possible and to keep out as much flex from the body panel joints as possible, I welded a cross brace to the back to keep the tail end spaced appropriately.  Then I pulled to tops of the panels together with a ratchet strap and welded a temporary brace to the top rails to hold everything in line until I get the new floor supports and floor installed. 

I plan to weld 3/16" 2x3 angle to the bottom sides of the tub as new support for the floor.  The original floor was beaded.  The replacement will be 1/8" flat sheet.  The metal is on order from the supplier.
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2014 at 2:47pm
Well- a little progress . . .  Frame is painted up.  I had to disassemble to 10 leaf springs because some of them were broken and won't pass inspection.  I think I can get by with removing some broken leaves and putting the springs back together.  10 leaves was a bit of overkill anyway.  

Now turning attention to the tub . . . .That will take awhile.

Will get a new axle also.  I priced the replacement bearings, races, and seals at Napa.  $145!!!  Just gonna buy a new axle for that money.  Then, at least, I'll have standard sized spindles and bearings.   I priced new spindles and hubs for the existing axle tube and they cost almost as much as a whole new assembly.  

Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 3:22am
life put me out of commission for awhile, but finally working again on the tub- it's coming along nicely, but I am spending WAY too much time with a grinder and cup brush. it wont be perfect but it will look good and be very serviceable.
My Build:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/oh-where-to-start_topic27685.html
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 10:07pm
Hay6, your work has been outstanding! Great job on the fabrication, the tub looks great. Looking forward to more pics!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12