Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil filter saga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil filter saga
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 12:25am
Sorry, but its not at all that easy to find the correct filter. Bear with me. I think my canister is a fram. A 10 micron 1006 napa will just fit. The height is great, the side clearance is snug at the filter end caps. Question #1) This yeilds a clearance around the media of about 1/8th". Is this ok? #2) The stand pipe somehow was galled about 1"above the canister bottom. So maybe I need a new one? #3) Oil pressure with this set up is ~35lbs idle, all temps and ~35-40 at higher rpms. This engine was rebuilt not too many miles ago. Before the 10 micron filter (a 30 micron) pressures were 20lbs idle 30 @ rpms. I believe the other filter was not sealing IMO regardless of results. It was also much shorter and narrower. Thoughts? Thanks, Joshua
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 1:59am
Joshua,

I'm not an expert but I'm getting pretty good at finding what our real experts say about stuff.

In the thread linked below from the Tech FAQ section, scroll down to the end. Sean has put together a guide on how to ID which oil filter canister you have and which filter goes with it. What you describe seems a little tight to me, but as I said I'm far from an expert.

http://thecj2apage.com/forums/what-oil-filter-element-do-i-need_topic19963.html

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 2:10am
Yeah, the napa 1010 30 micron is what I had in there prior to the 1006. Lots of room. What I need, perhaps, is a replacement canister without the galled stand pipe.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 3:05am
Since the system is a bypass, and not a full flow filter, I doubt it would effect oil pressure.
BOULDER 48 2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Since the system is a bypass, and not a full flow filter, I doubt it would effect oil pressure.

The element might not make much effect on oil pressure but the filter system would that is why there is an orifice in the stand pipe in the housing to restrict oil flow.

Jim   
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 1:04am
I'm not sure what canister Ol' Unreliable has, but I buy NAPA filter 1076.  I can't recall how I came up with that number, but it fits and works, as far as I know.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 1:30pm
Whatever the cause, clearance or media, in using the 1006 cartidge, its added restriction and raised pressure.
 Post Reply Post Reply