Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Filter truly needed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieP-CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 11:27pm
Thanks so much to everyone for your comments and advice.  I will be buying an oil filter and re-installing.  

To keep my engine in good running order should I pull the oil pan and clean it out?  I don't know how many years or decades the jeep has been without an oil filter. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Unless there is an oil line going to the timing cover on a gear Drive engine the gears do not get any oil. This will cause accelerated wear. A lot more oil goes through the filter then you might think.

FYI- there is an timing gear oil jet just below the cam and it is a bigger culprit for nbr 1 bearing oil starvation, willys recomended that you weld up the .070 squirter hole and drill a new smaller hole .040 to help keep enough oil flowing to the bearing instead of the timing gears. 

unless you have an earlier timing chain Lhead.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 12:09am
Originally posted by CharlieP-CJ2A CharlieP-CJ2A wrote:

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments and advice.  I will be buying an oil filter and re-installing.  

To keep my engine in good running order should I pull the oil pan and clean it out?  I don't know how many years or decades the jeep has been without an oil filter. 
While you have the pan off, you probably should check the screen on the oil pump pick up and make sure it isn't sludged up.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 1:01am
I would recommend dropping the oil pan on an engine like this. As mentioned, you can get all the gunk out of the pan and the oil pick up. You can also do a visual inspection of the lower engine innards.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 3:04am
Yes, drop the pan and check the screen. This screen is from an engine that I bought and installed in my jeep. The engine had perfectly good oil pressure, ran great, got me up some good climbs and some good adventures. Towards the end of the summer I went on a ride that included a few miles of "high speed" highway running. Just befor I got home, the oil pressure dropped and the engine started knocking. Dropped the pan and found the screen almost plugged up (see pictures below), and the front bearing spun. Full rebuild followed. About $1100. If I would have just dropped the pan and and spent a few bucks on a gasket, I would not have needed to do the rebuild.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 6:13am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Yes, drop the pan and check the screen. This screen is from an engine that I bought and installed in my jeep. The engine had perfectly good oil pressure, ran great, got me up some good climbs and some good adventures. Towards the end of the summer I went on a ride that included a few miles of "high speed" highway running. Just befor I got home, the oil pressure dropped and the engine started knocking. Dropped the pan and found the screen almost plugged up (see pictures below), and the front bearing spun. Full rebuild followed. About $1100. If I would have just dropped the pan and and spent a few bucks on a gasket, I would not have needed to do the rebuild.

Excellent point!  I have been meaning to drop the pan on my '46 for a long time as it leaks and I need to replace the gasket.  Now seems like a good time to do it, and check the screen too.  That screen looks like my clothes dryer lint filter after my kids have done a few loads of laundry!

Edited by jaksjep - 21 Feb. 2017 at 4:47am
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 11:17pm
Is that a new type of bearing designed to wear on both sides?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Is that a new type of bearing designed to wear on both sides?

Same old type. I was just using it wrong.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 3:01am
lol... shouldn't it last twice as long used that way?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12