Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old 1/4 ton trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old 1/4 ton trailer
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 12:11am
Hey Folks,

I posted a question on the "other trailer discussion" forum just down the page, it doesn't seem to get much activity, so I though I would post on here to ask for a little help. Could you guys take a peak at it and see what you think? I know it's not a "real" military trailer, but I think it's pretty old and I would love to find out more about it. I didn't want to post a question about it on the wrong forum, but I feel sure if enough folks look at the trailer someone will know something concrete about it, there have been a few guesses, but none of those pan out as being an exact match or have documentation.  Thanks a bunch in advance for any help.

Casey
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 2:53am
It's a keeper.  Restore it and look for clues!
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
m casey stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:48am
Keeping for sure, restoration done, clues coming hard! I need the memory of someone a few years older than myself. LOL :)

Edited by m casey stock - 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:58am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 12:48pm
 I figured with all the knowledge here surely someone out there has seen a trailer like mine and has some idea? Come on guys, dig deep, all thoughts are welcome.

Edited by m casey stock - 23 Apr. 2015 at 1:25pm
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 5:51pm
Can you post one from the gate side too?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 5:56pm
Sure, anything to help. Thanks

Edited by m casey stock - 22 Apr. 2015 at 6:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2015 at 1:01pm
It was mentioned that this might be a Spen even though it isn't patterned in the M100 style. The original blue paint was suggested to be for the Marines. I've seen the M100 style Spen trailers that were produced for the Marines, but has anyone heard of Spen producing a lower side style like mine? Maybe they requested one with a tailgate and lower sides for easier loading? The mystery continues.....
Life's a Garden, DIG IT! Joe Dirt

Don't trust a mechanic with clean hands! GrandPa
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2015 at 1:32pm
Casey,

I see no indication or design features that would lead me to believe this is a Military trailer. The Ben Hur trailers and the Converto dump trailers are the only thing I found in the 1/2-3/4 style that I've come across that were Military.

I believe this is just one of many Civilian Utility trailers of the period. There were many different companies building these back then.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2015 at 2:09pm
I agree, I've always pegged it as civilian. I never even thought about it having an axle under it that was also used under a military trailer until I started poking around and came across a picture of an axle being restored and it was from a Spen M100 style trailer. (the one in the background)

Everything about this axle is identical to mine. I'm sure that some companies bought military surplus parts to build their trailers and If I'm not mistaken, Spen  had a facility in Florida, not too far a trip from where I am. As I mentioned above, someone suggested the idea that it might be something built by Spen for the Marines, I knew it wasn't the common one styled like the M100, but it got me thinking, 1) it was painted blue (Marines?), just like the only other one I've seen like it and 2) it sparked my memory of a conversation with a retired Marine buddy of my father in law. When he first saw my trailer, he said "nice old military trailer, I pulled one around just like it on the base for years when I worked in supplies" I told him I didn't think it was military, it just looked like a military trailer, and that I was told it was homemade (later told otherwise). He said "Oh" with a perplexed look on his face, and then said "well they did a good job, because it looks just like it"  So the  other day I asked him about it again, and he said he had no clue about the manufacture of the one he pulled (I'm sure most guys back then didn't care about who made what piece of equipment, especially something like a trailer, as long as it worked) only that he was pretty sure it was just like it. I don't know, just figured I would throw it out there, I know how people's memories are, I get that pretty regular, someone will say "I saw a truck just like yours the other day" and I'll be like "really?" (my truck is pretty unique) then later that same person will be with me and the truck they saw before will go by and they will point and say "there it goes, the one like yours!" I'll look and it will have a paint job kinda like mine and will be a different manufacture LOL :)  so, I get it, people don't always remember things in detail and see things in a different way. It's what is cool AND frustrating about humans. I'm just following every lead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2015 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Casey,

I believe this is just one of many Civilian Utility trailers of the period. There were many different companies building these back then.

I was told the same thing about my 1952 Duracraft Aluminum runabout, Nobody knew anything about who made it, and brushed it off as just another cool looking old boat made by one of many boat builders of the time. Come to find out, it was actually built by one of the most successful builders of the day and was still in business (changed hands a few times) all the way up to the first decade of this century. The descendents of the founding brothers (Ward brothers) started a new company building boats called "War Eagle, team Ward" and it's my understanding that they have repurchased the rights to the DuraCraft name. That's all interesting stuff to me, I like History, but only correct history.

Edited by m casey stock - 29 Apr. 2015 at 2:23pm

Post Reply Post Reply