Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original frame or Aftermarket???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWS5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original frame or Aftermarket???
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 5:42pm
I recently inherited a 1947 CJ2A from my Grandfather so I have been looking it over deciding what to do with it. 

Its been patched welded and painted  a few times and the frame needs a bit of work. Its been in the family for decades so I want to fix it up. I also understand the it could be worth $$10 -15k or so "Restored" so it seems worth the effort and $.

QUESTION: Would an aftermarket frame frame hurt the value vs. patched up original frame? Im not looking to make a profit just break even if I have to ever sell it. 

Thanks for your opinions.
FWS 
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 5:53pm
I think an original frame will make your restoration a lot easier - especially if you are doing a 'correct' restoration. You can probably find a decent frame for less $$ than an aftermarket frame.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
FWS5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWS5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 6:24pm
Thanks for the reply. 

I want it to look basically stock when done but Im not intending to do a "strictly accurate restoration" UNLESS thats the only way to keep the value up. Im keeping the original engine, trans and axles etc.- all running good- but want to upgrade where possible and makes sense - brakes, tires, shocks, mechanicals etc. Maybe steering. Nothing extreme and will keep all original parts if I want to put back to stock.

Its already has been converted to 12v. , has remote spin on oil filter and aftermarket air filter/housing on top of carb instead of original intake system. 

Most of the body has been patched/covered/welded/bondo'ed up or replaced with non stock sheet metal and painted. Newer gas tank and all dash, lights, guages switches etc. in great condition and functional.

I could just patch the frame, drop a new body on it and have a pretty good jeep but if Im going to make it "NICE" (like some I see on here) I want to start from the ground up knowing that all the running gear and frame are "as good as I am going to do". The body will be coming off anyway. The body is easy and can do later on. Im not the kind to remodel a house with a bad foundation.

I have a very good mechanic/fabricator to help who has done several frames for race cars, trucks, rock crawlers and a couple other jeeps so its only a matter of the cost difference between fixing the old frame and buying or fabricating a new one.

The real question is  - will it hurt the value to have an aftermarket frame?

Thanks
FWS
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 6:31pm
I'd be curious to see a show of hands from folks that got their jeep to that level and "broke even" Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 6:31pm
Where are you getting 10 to 15K in value? I'm not saying you won't get it but if you're hanging your hat on that value and you end up pouring that (or more) into the "restoration" and then look forward to someone writing a check for that much you might be a bit disappointed. That being said you will always be better off with original. Those 15K + or - jeeps will be numbers matching all original untouched or exquisitely restored marvels. Decent frames are out there. you just have to look.....they turn up here from time to time. Heck you can buy a roached jeep for parts that has a decent frame and now you have an original parts donor. Oh and guess what? Break even? not gonna happen. A Willys Jeep is a relationship not a a financial investment.....now a 1967 Pontiac GTO is an investment.

Edited by damar2yxr - 04 Jan. 2017 at 6:34pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
FWS5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWS5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 8:34pm
Ok I guess Im starting to get a consensus.

As far as the value goes - I only know what I see - many classifieds for fully restored to original or super good "frame off" condition priced (and selling) for 10- 15k

I understand that 7-8k is more realistic for one in "very nice" condition and thats my target.

Starting with a free jeep (2 owner, all numbers matching) with good running engine and drive train needing really a good pressure washing, some frame repair/paint,  a new body/paint(by me) and tires I should hope thats not more than $8k and hopefully that results in an $8k value vehicle. 

Besides it will go to my sons anyway- its not for profit.
I was only wondering if an aftermarket frame helped or hurt value and I am looking for a good frame if anybody has one.

Thanks
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 9:12pm
I keep hearing about 'after market frames', but I've never seen one.  If they exist, then MD Juan is probably the manufacturer.  I don't have a real beef with MD Juan, but based on other products they build, you would be best to find an original.  

Same is true for the sheet metal.  MD Juan has worked hard to improve their sheet metal and tub offerings, but I understand that they still have fitment issues.  If you buy a new tub, don't be surprised if you still need to take out the cutting wheel and a welder.

Good luck with your project.  Post some photos if you get a chance.

Hawk  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 9:18pm
 An all-original (rough tho it may be) matching-numbers jeep is a rare bird indeed, and deserves a good restoration. The family tie makes it that much better. Anything non-original or not-the-same-as-original used in the restoration will definitely reduce the value. If the frame is so bad that it can't be saved, another original CJ2-A frame would be better than an aftermarket or fabricated frame in that respect.  MY$.02  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2017 at 9:22pm
If the only question is value, original over replacement, and if it must be replaced period over repop and NOS over used...  the trouble is original can't be replaced, and NOS will always cost more than used... 

a vicious cycle.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 12:21am
Plenty of good frames out there to be had. I would try to find an original. I've got two very nice late 2A/3A frames that i got for next to nothing. 

early style frame like yours will be tougher to find. But if you can live with a later frame you got a good chance of finding one. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 12:31am
In order of frame value I see it this way

1. Original Frame returned as close to Original as possible
2. Original Frame repaired and possibly a few small changes made
3. A VERY good condition period frame (same year then same model then similar model)
4. A different model frame
5  NEW Replacement frame (never seen one unless as Said MD Juam makes one)
6. A later frame even a short nose CJ5 frame up to I think 1972 will work with some modification
7. Anything made by your buddy from a rectangular tube to some sort of Space frame
8. A chassis swap where some other vehicles frame and suspension is used.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 1:55am
The only repro frame I'm aware of is the WWII MB/GPW frame and the price right now is $2K. Several people have mentioned a repro CJ2A frame before but every time I ask them to produce a link it never happens. There is one company that sells a replacement ( NOT a reproduction of the original) made from tubing with a price around $1.9K. If anyone knows, actually knows, of a reproduction CJ2A frame please post a link, otherwise it's time to put this rumour to rest.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:28am
You can check with Willysacres in Canada eh .They used to be around $1800.00 Canadian at one time.I have to call than tomorrow for some parts ,I can check on the frame price at the same time.

Edited by Gil - 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:43am
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:44am
Call them up and see if they actually have any and ask if it's a reproduction of the original or a replacement type. Note there are no part numbers or prices in their listings and the website is copyright 2003. If they say they have any ask for a large photo to post. When it says it comes with the battery tray and bumper I'm betting it's the replacement one I mentioned earlier. Remember, the CJ2A front bumper would have to include the gussets etc. It wouldn't make any sense to include all that so it's likely welded in one piece.

Edited by rocketeer - 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:55am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:54am
I talk to then today and the reason way they don't have prices is because they are making price adjustment .I will check tomorrow on the frame and let you know.

Giles.
FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 12:42pm
Look for a used one in your area, I will bet you a case of beer, you can find a used frame CHEAPER than the cost of just the shipping to get a new frame to you. Last year, I put a used CJ2A parts jeep and the remains of a MB jeep for $300 for the pair, still have them, parts jeeps are out there.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 1:26pm
A good used frame will set you back maybe $200-300. My buddy just let one go for $200 with running gear. I have one here, I'd need to look at it closer before I'd claim it was good, but if so, I'd let it go for $200.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
FWS5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWS5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:26pm
The "new frame" I referred to is made by Throttle Down Customs.

It can be had for $1800.00 which is a lot but not too bad in my opinion for a full mandrel bent box section frame that will last forever and which I understand to be a top notch fit and finish. The killer is the almost $1000.00 shipping cost from Montana which really puts it out of the budget for a restoration jeep project. If you wanted a bullet proof rock crawler I would say its more than worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>