Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ouray, CO Flatfender Folks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ouray, CO Flatfender Folks
    Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 3:11am
Hello,
A friend of mine is planning a Military Vehicle Convoy/Tour of the trails around Ouray, CO in 2018. I have been checking out some YouTube videos of flatfenders running the trails. It looks like such a great place that I thought I would take my MB out next Summer (2017). Of course the fun of the trip would be if I could link up with some of the local folks for some advice, stories and ideally to run the trails with. If anyone lives in the Ouray area and would like to meet up let me know. I can start picking a date and making arrangements. Thanks, John
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 4:59pm
John,
  Keep an eye on the "shows and get-togethers" section of the forum. There are quite a few of us Coloradans on here, and we have several scheduled runs each year. I believe plans are afoot to take a group to the Ouray area in '17.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 6:45pm
Johnny it's a great place. I know you will find some form of successful outing there. jpet and a few others did a run there last year, I think it was. You can find his account in the "Shows and Get-togethers" like Bruce directed you to.

For kicks, here's mine and Ruth's account from when we did the area in 2009.

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 6:11am
John,

Let us know when you're thinking of going; later in summer will be better if you want to be able to hit all the summits.

Just as a point of reference, Yankee Boy opened the last week of May along with Ophir Pass. Corkscrew opened on June 6th this year with Hurricane and California opening shortly thereafter.
Engineer opened around the second week of June.

Imogene didn't open until July 3rd, with a wall of snow collapse on the first switchback down the Telluride side on July 6th. It took a half day to clear, with Black Bear opening around a week later. The snow closed everything for the season by Sept 23rd.

Jpet and Cowbell has come through 2 yrs. in a row now, with Kansascat doing the same so you're liable to run into some forum members while you're there.

I will be guiding for Switzerland again next year so will be happy to help with any questions you might have.

Best,
Mike

Post Reply Post Reply