Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking brake operation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking brake operation
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 4:31pm
Before I seal up the splines on my rear output shaft from the D18 and torque up the nut, I want to make sure the parking brake is operating as it should. I seem to be having some issues.

I have relined the brake shoes with NOS linings. The brake lever is set correctly to 3/32" clearance on the backing plate.

When the shoes are tucked in neatly by hand to form a concentric circle with the drum, I can slip the drum on and everything turns nicely as it should. No problem.

But when I operate the lever, although the drum binds up as it should, after the lever is released the shoes do not retract as you would expect. There is dragging that continues at about the 2 o'clock position as viewed from the rear. To try and see what was going on, I took the drum off, realigned the shoes, and operated the lever without the drum in place. The lever pulls the brake cam which seems not to open both shoes equally as you would expect, but only seems to shift the upper shoe to the right. See at the arrow below. When the lever is released, the upper shoe does not reset to the original position, it remains to the right which would cause the drag on the drum. The lower shoe barely seems to move at all.

The brake does seem to "work", in that the drum is stopped from spinning. But the point of contact with the shoes is in one place only (2 o'clock on the upper shoe) and the top shoe does not retract back to its original position again, hence the dragging. Doesn't seem right to me.

Is this pretty much normal for this setup, and perhaps just not the best design?
Or do I have something else going on here that needs attention before I button it all up?

Thanks,

Mike

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 6:13pm
Mike

Is the pivot that the shoes sit on loose at all, they are sort of riveted in place originally, they can be quite loose sometimes.

I have repaired a few of them.

Best if you put a taper on the ends of the new linings as well, take the corner off, its helps it all settle in.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 7:35pm
Just a touch of grease (I use white Lubriplate, there are special "brake shoe grease's") on the ends of the shoes where they contact the adjuster and the cam, and where they contact the backing plate might help.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:30am
Thanks Adrian and Bruce.

Adrian - the pivot points were all sound.

Bruce - i did use some grease on both contact points of both shoes. I don't remember what, but they were greased lightly.

I'll give it a few days. If no other suggestions emerge, i guess I'll tighten it all up and hope for the best!

Mike
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 12:23pm
I was just working on my E-brake last week, looks pretty much the same. How's the lever that spreads the shoes? original? I noticed the shoes don't move much, mine the lower shoe seems to move more, but they don't shift as you stated yours does. I think the drum will take care of that. Might try switching the upper and lower shoe see if it helps. At any rate I think it's just a matter of some tweeking. Joe Wadoyado
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:01pm
Thanks for your input Joe.

Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

How's the lever that spreads the shoes? original?

Yes, i simply took out the original, cleaned and painted it and put it back.

...mine don't shift as you stated yours does. I think the drum will take care of that.

True, the shoe will only shift as far as the drum allows it to. But my bigger worry is that the shoe doesn't seem to retract, and hence the dragging on the drum even once the lever is released.

Might try switching the upper and lower shoe see if it helps. At any rate I think it's just a matter of some tweeking.

Might be worth switching the shoes around, I'll try that. I'll be very happy if it's only a matter of tweaking, but there are very few things to tweak and I'm out of ideas....

Mike
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:38pm
As long as the springs on the shoes are in good shape, and you have a return spring on the lever the shoes will retract in service. IMHO Joe
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 4:10pm
Remember, you also have this 'booster spring' contraption that pulls back on the park brake lever once the brake is disengaged.  It attaches to the bracket on the underside of the tub.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:44pm
Mike,
In case the previous suggestions don't "free up" the stuck shoe, I'd suggest using a screwdriver or dowel to hold the shoe that moves (pin between lip on backing plate across shoe) and then actuate to see if stuck shoe is still binding or will in fact move.  Grease on the contact points would have been my first thought but there may be something catching or making contact preventing that one shoe from moving freely.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply