Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PE-95-K genset engine questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PE-95-K genset engine questions
    Posted: 06 July 2016 at 2:35pm
posting this here because I spend most of my "jeep" time on this site, and I know a lot of folks here know a lot about a lot.

Recently picked up this genset specifically just as a source of what I believe to be at the least a rebuildable L134 block.  Jumped in both feet with zero knowledge of gensets in general, past the fact some came with L134's LOL

The CL ad I answered said MB engine, which i knew almost immediately was wrong given the 641087 block casting number... but I really dont care.

Last night I was able to clean the waterpump boss enough to get "RMC105103", which I understand to be M38, the "R" being replacement (not reman or rebuilt) and apparently it was not uncommon for R(eplacement) engines to end up new in gensets... I have no idea if this engine is original to the genset, but it IS military...obvious by the "RMC" serial number, and by the paint markings on the exterior, etc.  I did find it odd that an engine mounted in a skid with a belly pan of it's own has a skid plate on the oil pan, but figure it's just a function of the "R".

Its my understanding that it had two 6v batteries when the PO found it, but I have no idea if parallel or in series...they were gone when I got it.  The tag on the Onan says use 12V battery(ies?)

If it is to be believed the hour meter shows 838 hours, which would be 33,520 miles at 40mph (3-4k rpm?), so I'm hoping at 1800 rpm I'm not going to find horror when I pull the head and oil pan off.

I'm likely going to try and move the peripherals down the road to the genset crowd as possible.  As a practical matter an m38 engine is no more or less original than the Henry J Kaiser im running now (also a 641087 casting).

Relative short term plan is to pull the head, check for scores or ring ridges and bore gage it... drop the pan and plastigage the mains and rods.  What I find there will determine if I just drop it in and run it or rebuild it.

I know I'm looking at replacing the intake manifold and carb, the distributor (it appears to have a magneto?) and possibly the "industrial" low compression head... and whatever is on there for a flywheel (there is no starter, I'm assuming they used the generator on batteries to start the go devil)... im also reading I may have to swap over the oil pan pickup as well.  Im assuming that means it may not pivot or float-

Any input/comment/direction would be appreciated...  

Learning as I go-

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 10:18am
My feeling is the generator deserves to live, very unique.....sure you can't find a correct L-134?

It would be a shame to strip it, perhaps someone can swap you an engine for it???

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 1:37am
I would agree these are getting rare.   If the generator part of it is still good.   I have a welder with good engine but bad welding component. If you were closer, I would trade you.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 3:47am
With a due respect, I think you guys are assuming better condition overall then i'm seeing here. I picked this up as cheap as I did in part because it hasnt run in two years or more, the ppo and po could not get it going (though I cant vouch for their attempts) and there is a general overall deterioration and missing parts.

Were this a 2a with a bad tub and a rotten frame its fate would be similar. I would feel maybe differently about repurposing the engine if the plan were to scrap the rest, but as an organ donor this will likely help more gensets, and im certainly not going to make a killing selling parts "as is" in unknown condition. It would take a special effort and upside down money to restore or refurbish this... my opinion.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2016 at 1:36am
I would love to find a cj motor to trade you for the RMC motor.  I will take any of the m38 engine parts you are not going to use.  Just give me a price. 
1952 m38
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2016 at 3:11am
Originally posted by BillF BillF wrote:

I would love to find a cj motor to trade you for the RMC motor.  I will take any of the m38 engine parts you are not going to use.  Just give me a price. 

PM sent, Bill...
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 8:12pm
Got the very same generator that I picked up in a scrap yard. It has a nice MB engine in it. The value is in the L134. The rest of it is scrap. I used the skid to build a nice wheeled engine stand for the L134, transmission and transfer case. I'm using it to run the engine out of the vehicle. I posted this thing on the g503 for like forever and no one was even interested. I also picked up 2 Hobart Welders with M-38 motors in them. The interest is in the engine.Cry
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply