Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2016 at 4:53pm
Replaced trans cooling lines and replaced about 4 quarts of fluid.

Driving to Saddle Mountain now.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2016 at 9:04pm
Dropped the trans and transfer yesterday. Making noise when cold (blame the Lucas I put in) but once up to operating temperature it sounds like a bearing.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 10:36pm
Switched out the glass packs for Thrush turbos LOL Not as loud and it has a deeper sound.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2016 at 4:05am

This is my first time in the passenger seat with my girlfriend driving.
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2016 at 2:36pm
Looks like a beautiful day in Astoria. Love that part of Oregon!
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

Looks like a beautiful day in Astoria. Love that part of Oregon!

It was a beautiful day yesterday too bad I couldn't enjoy it, I felt so sick and dizzy when we were got to the grocery store I made her drive home. The rest of the day I sat on the couch. ConfusedCry

Note: A few cars before this photo was taken, a guy was driving some kind of car from the 20's or 30's. My phone took its sweet time trying to focus that I just missed it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2016 at 11:51pm
Snow today.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2017 at 11:14pm
My passenger side exhaust manifold has been cracked for a while now, but it is getting worse. I was able to get some used replacements about 2 hours away. ( Actually my girlfriend got them. She took her kids to Grey Wolf Lodge and the guy selling the manifolds lived 10 minutes away!)

Will need to order some gaskets and things.  Slightly paranoid that I am going to break the bolts when I remove them. Think I will try the candle wax "trick" LOL

Also hate this Skip White HEI distributor I bought for it. The housing is too big and hits the water pump bypass hose, which heats up the aluminum housing.  Plus it always runs hot, hard to re start after driving, just not happy. I know you get what you pay for but yet I still got this.

So I will either be reinstalling the old points distributor and adding a Pertronix kit and coil or get a DUI HEI.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 12:13am
Ordered the Pertronix kit and coil, new spark plug wire, cap and rotor. Should be getting all that stuff this coming week.

Also my exhaust manifold gaskets are on their way so I can replace the manifolds.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 5:11am
Many years ago,  my son and I transplanted a 360 out of '79 Cherokee into his '84 CJ-7 . . sometime after that,  it got a HEI distributor.   Unfortunately,  I do not remember which one.   It has been trouble-free for a long time.

Ironically,  his Jeep happens to be in my driveway tonight,  so I went out to take a look.  Yeah,  that distributor housing is huge,  LOL,  but not touching anything.

Hope the Pertronix works out for you.   Thanks for keeping us posted on your Cherokee,  still miss mine.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 5:50am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Hope the Pertronix works out for you.   Thanks for keeping us posted on your Cherokee,  still miss mine.

I hope so too! LOL Now if I could get rid of all the rust I would be super happy!
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 10:51am
Nice Cherokee, like the older ones a lot better than the new computers they are pumping out, and to find the first year of production is a treasure. That spare tire cover is a rare treasure I would think too!
Guess you’re going to miss the spring reunion this year? Be a good excuse to get back for your 2a.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by BENSH BENSH wrote:

Nice Cherokee, like the older ones a lot better than the new computers they are pumping out, and to find the first year of production is a treasure. That spare tire cover is a rare treasure I would think too!
Guess you’re going to miss the spring reunion this year? Be a good excuse to get back for your 2a.

Thank you. I was happy to find a first year one and that it is a factory 401 was a bonus!  The spare tire cover is a treasure, A cool dealer added part. I'm bummed it has a small tear in it though.

I would love to go to another spring reunion. Trying to get on the Alaska or Rust tour, also the Oregon spring fling...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 12:31am
Decided to replace the exhaust manifold. Surprising to me, all the bolts came out! Already have the new one in, just hide to find torque specs. There was also no exhaust gaskets on the old one Confused

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 2:28am
Alrighty!  Exhaust manifold on motor and torqued ( With a new gasket) . Exhaust connected. ( New gaskets here too.)

I also got the motor to TDC. ( With the help of my lovely girlfriend)  Removed the HEI and put it my old Distributor with the Pertronix added.  Then put on the new plug wires.

At this point it is too dark outside to see so I'll get to it tomorrow.  I need to wire in things and put the coil bracket back on.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 2:32am
Picture of the cracked manifold. Passenger side for piston number 2.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 10:14pm
Yesterday between the raining, I finished wiring up the distributor and coil. Started it up, ran okay until it went to low idle then it died. I adjusted the distributor a little, restarted and let it warm up.

Adjusted it to 5 degrees BTDC as called for on my emissions sticker, made some slight adjustments to the carburetor and took it for a drive.

Big smile So far I am really impressed. It drove nice, felt like I had more power and I heard no more pinging.   Best part is after I got back home, I shut off the Jeep and then I was able to restart it with no trouble at all. Before I couldn't do that, it was always tough to restart it after any length of driving.  
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Decided to replace the exhaust manifold. Surprising to me, all the bolts came out! Already have the new one in, just hide to find torque specs. There was also no exhaust gaskets on the old one Confused

The factory did not use exhaust manifold gaskets at the cylinder head.
Simply metal-to-metal contact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 22>