Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powder Coat vs POR 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 1:45pm
[QUOTE=Tom in RI]
The most rugged, rust preventive prep and paint system is to blast and epoxy prime. Some blasting shops even offer an epoxy prime as a service. Topcoating with Urethane is super durable. If you use inexpensive enamel over epoxy primer you will also have a very rust resistant coating. The primer is your key to longevity.

I have to agree with Tom.

Giles
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 2:32pm
I will say that these bumpers and nerf bars and such that come powder coated are probably not done to the standards that a small shop will do, but those giving advice above are correct, once rust gets under it, there is no stopping it.

I have a For ranger that came from the factory with powder coat on certain suspension components, they are now rusted way more that they would have been had they been painted.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:26pm
I’ll throw out one other idea.

The Master Series Silver coating is another choice.  I used it as a base primer for nearly everything on my OD Willys.  It can be used to coat clean steel or rusty steel.  It can be top coated with any type of paint. The stuff is impenetrable.  The green enamel does chip off and does get touched up.  The silver stuff never chips down to the steel.  6 years later, I challenge all comers to find rust on my rig. Big smile 

Tim 

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:42pm
where I work we tried power coating on the frame of a piece of equipment , it looks good for a year but didn't take long to start chipping and cracking from flexing and then it started to blister under the power coating and when we tried to remove it for repair it was a lot of work, I personally wont do power coating after seeing this
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
blc3128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blc3128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 4:38pm
Thanks for the comments! To clear any misconception about my build I used POR 15 on the rolling chassis plus 2 layers of top coat chassis paint.
1948 CJ2A #197894
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I’ll throw out one other idea.

.  6 years later, I challenge all comers to find rust on my rig. Big smile 

Tim 

OR DUST........LOL
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 12:36am
Thanks for the input. Confirmed my thoughts.

1) I have had good results with rust oxide paint.   The stuff from IH dealer is much better than rustoleum but more experience.

2) Multiple coats seems like a good idea even with por 15.

3) yep, it is a dealer/applicator encouraging me.

Back to my dreams and I will have forgotten all this wise advice when I finally get to the project.....................
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 2:08am
I find if I drive fast enough for long enough, every part of my chassis eventually get covered with a nice coat of oil which prevents any rust.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 7:27am
What “minnow1193” said!

I did want to ask if anyone has used a power washer with degreaser/soap to clean bare metal before priming, and just how well that works out. I usually spray and area down and scrub it with a stiff brush to clean the metal - and that works fine, but you can’t get everywhere inside a frame...

Not really many other options I guess and am going to try it out on a project figuring it would be better than nothing. Anyone tried it?
    1945 CJ2a 11495
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 2:31pm
Everyone has their own preferred painting method. Personally, I media blast the parts and apply alkyd red oxide primer. After curing, I sand the part prior to the top coat application. Prep, prep, and more prep is the key to any lasting paint job.

When applied properly, alkyd enamel primer such as Rustoleum, Majic, and Van Sickle will outlast your rig. It's really all about your budget and technical ability.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

mtnman37879 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtnman37879 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 10:06pm
IMHO powder coat is "over restored" Willys never used it. They used cheap enamel paint. I learned from restoring Model T Fords that when judged at a show by the AACA you lose points for over restoration.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:55am
I've used KBS products,  I like them better then POR15. I like there Rust-seal, still needs a uv coat if in sunlight but they have good options there as well.  They come in lots of colors and etc.  Great stuff.  

www.kbs-coatings.com

Edited by windyhill - 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:57am
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 3:35am
I built an off-raod trailer and elected to have it powder coated. Looked great. But rust spread under the powder coat and eventually it began to flake off. I would not use powder coat on an off-raod vehicle again. On my Willys I used Rustoleum red primer on a clean steel frame, followed by black enamel. Seems to be holding up finr.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:37pm
I used ZERO-Rust on my extra frame several years ago, hanging our in the weather it looks great, no new rust anywhere on the frame. Has some pollen on it from the GA springs over the years. A coworker had a PWC trailer that was powder coated tubing from the builder, saltwater useage rotted the frame out from under the coating after a few years and it collapsed.

Edited by jeeper50 - 10 May 2017 at 3:40pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12