Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Press Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-R-Burke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Press Size
    Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 7:04pm
Hi all,
New guy here in SWTN.
I have a '47 CJ2A that Bubba really went to town on.
So far I've been rebuilding the entire brake system (almost there) and next will be the transfer case because it is REALLY hard to get out of 4wd.
I've been reading and reading posts on this site and see that a press is needed to work on the transfer case.
What size press is needed? Hydraulic or arbor?

Best wishes - Don

In dog years I'm dead
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 7:11pm
I do not know about a press.  I replaced my intermediate shaft and bearings with only a dummy shaft.  A full rebuild might require a press.  Good luck with the project.  Pictures would be good.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 8:26pm
Nothing in the transfer case is going to absolutely require a shop press to repair. If you have an arbor press that might be nice, but even that isn't totally necessary. If you have a small shop press, so much the better, but not necessary. Yes, there are a couple of bearings on the output shafts that might require a press, but I wouldn't buy one just for that job as most mechanics shops or auto parts stores will press something for you for a small fee or sometimes even free if you are buying parts from them.

Of course, if you have other uses in your shop for a press, then by all means indulge yourself...after all its for your Jeep project and what could possibly be more important than that...

Good luck...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 11:53pm
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:03am
2-3 pound hammer and a brass drift. No press needed.
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:45am
When I put mine together I had mismatched tires on front and rear axles, very hard to get out of 4wd. Put matching tires front and rear problem went away. Just a thought might be simple.
A.L.Fain
D-R-Burke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-R-Burke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Paleot Paleot wrote:

When I put mine together I had mismatched tires on front and rear axles, very hard to get out of 4wd. Put matching tires front and rear problem went away. Just a thought might be simple.

I do have one tire that's different (not to mention a wheel that was modified with a torch!).
Wouldn't that be nice?
Thanks!
In dog years I'm dead
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 8:20pm
Hope it is that simple for You!
A.L.Fain
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 1:00am
Any time there is a difference in the RPM of the front shaft and the rear shaft it will be hard to disengage the four wheel drive. Mis-matched tires will cause problems. Anyone that has tried to disengage the four wheel drive while turning a corner will find it difficult or impossible to do unless there is a lot of wheel slip like on snow, mud, or ice. If the front and rear shafts are matched for speed, i.e., not turning a corner, wheels all the same size; then the transfer case should slip in and out of four wheel drive fairly easy.

Before you tear down the transfer case, get the wheels all the same size and try it again under the same circumstances that you were having trouble with before. Hopefully that is the case...thank you Paleot for the suggestion...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 9:19am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Before you tear down the transfer case, get the wheels all the same size and try it again under the same circumstances that you were having trouble with before.

Or just jack up the rear axle and gently rock the rear wheels by hand, to see if you can get it to disengage. A smooth shifting D18 should engage and disengage like this IF this is the problem. Far cheaper and easier than sourcing new wheels....
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 9:44am
Just a simplistic thought, are you sure the axle ratios are the same in the front and rear? You don't know what bubba did in the past to it.
As has been stated, you really don't need a press to rebuild anything on a Jeep.
My D18 shifts fine, My D20 can be a real pain in the cold. At least I don't have to get under it to beat it into low range with a hammer like a friend has to do.
uncamonkey
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Before you tear down the transfer case, get the wheels all the same size and try it again under the same circumstances that you were having trouble with before.

Or just jack up the rear axle and gently rock the rear wheels by hand, to see if you can get it to disengage. A smooth shifting D18 should engage and disengage like this IF this is the problem. Far cheaper and easier than sourcing new wheels....
I've gotta do things the hard way sometimes...

Thanks for the suggestion...for troubleshooting your idea is best.

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 9:21pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 10:29pm

Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I've gotta do things the hard way sometimes...

Thanks for the suggestion...for troubleshooting your idea is best.

Some of us have taken a few trips around the sun and we hope we can help you. My neighbor kid had to back up about a quarter mile in his Blazer to get his front hubs to disengage. He finally fixed it by trying to clear a 10' ditch at around 3:00 AM. Nice skid marks. I don't have pictures anymore so I guess it didn't happen.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 12:05am
If you want the whole Blazer story, Sit down with a cool one or a cup of coffee as you desire.
I was sitting in the sun with perhaps a few G&Ts after a weekend with a few guys from the ECJ5 page in Durango. I had a day to make it to Lake Powell so I wasn't in a rush. I got a phone call from a nurse here in town and some friends son was in the hospital. Mike had his daughter on her phone to get s number for the hospital
His parents and sister were on their way out there and had to figure out how to turn around on Vail pass. I figured I had enough to drink so I just hooked up the Jeep so I could leave early in the morning.
Weeeel, the boy had a few beers to many and went off of the road and overcorrected across a parking lot and stuffed it into the other side of the ditch. I used to have a good picture of how he stuffed it in. He managed by luck to have it land it on it's wheels on a field road so it looked like it belonged there. Farm boy so he cut out the seat belts and took the doors off of it.
He was thrown from it and laid there for 3 hours with a dislocated hip until a sheriffs deputy wanted to check up on why the vehicle he knew was in the wrong field.
He's married now with a daughter so I guess he survived.
Back to my corner.
uncamonkey
D-R-Burke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-R-Burke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 2:45am
THANKS for all the suggestions!
Where would we be without the internet?
Like having a bunch of smart friends sitting around the workbench.
In dog years I'm dead
 Post Reply Post Reply