Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project "Bam Bam"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 1:17pm
On my MB, since I don't have the ability to "buck" rivits, I bought the screw together rivits from Bret Mullins Jeep Parts. They twist off when tight, and then you can spot them with weld. Look real nice. A hint if you use them is to clamp the metal together real tight before you twist off the rivit bolt. Knowing you, you'll "buck"Clap. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 1:22pm
Yup.  Gonna buckem'

John,

While we are at it, is your front bumper original?  If so, are the flanges 2" or 1-1/2".  Also, how long is it?  I think the MB front bumper might be shorter than CJ2A.  Is there a thread somewhere featuring your MB?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

.......plate mounting IIRC.  ....... ?
Jeff,
I think FBill is saying "If I Recall Correctly" AKA (Also Known As)Wink..... IRRC .
Could be wrong but I believe that is what it stands for.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
warbrds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbrds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

On my MB, since I don't have the ability to "buck" rivits, I bought the screw together rivits from Bret Mullins Jeep Parts. They twist off when tight, and then you can spot them with weld. Look real nice. A hint if you use them is to clamp the metal together real tight before you twist off the rivit bolt. Knowing you, you'll "buck"Clap. John
A nice tool called a "Cleco" is great for hold parts together through the drilled holes, they also make Cleco clamps.    Used all of the time in the aircraft industry when installing fasteners
Mark
1946 CJ2A

"When you're out of Sixes, you're out of Interceptors"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 3:45pm

I won't weld these into the shackle brackets until I get them riveted into the frame. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 3:52pm
I love your work and Engineering skills, Jeff!......and reading your posts.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 12:00am
Jeff were the originals threaded that well, or were they plain with the threads cutting themselves as they were installed and used? (Not that I have ever seen a NOS or even unworn original..)

If that is they way the originals were, (and I think what you have made is every bit as good if not better than an original part, ) there is a need for that part by itself. Nobody seems to sell that insert without the bracket, an dif ones brackets are good , and still attached, it is a shame to cut them off because the weldable insert is bad.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 12:40am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Jeff were the originals threaded that well, or were they plain with the threads cutting themselves as they were installed and used? (Not that I have ever seen a NOS or even unworn original..)

If that is they way the originals were, (and I think what you have made is every bit as good if not better than an original part, ) there is a need for that part by itself. Nobody seems to sell that insert without the bracket, an dif ones brackets are good , and still attached, it is a shame to cut them off because the weldable insert is bad.
Totally agree with F Bill on this one!Clap
I had two hangers that were this way on my 45.  The threaded part you have made Jeff was pretty rusted up and in rough shape, but the hangers themselves were in good shape ---and still riveted on with factory rivets of course!

Nice paper weight by the way!Big smile

Edited by Night0wl - 12 June 2012 at 12:41am
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 11:14am
I'm not sure how the originals were made. I suppose I could cut one in half so I could get to the threads to look at them. I'm hoping once these are installed and the springs are installed that nobody will want to inspect them to test for originality

Anywho, anyone who has access to a lathe can make these. They are 7/8 od and 11 threads per inch.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 11:22am
Bill,

Do any of your G503s have original front bumpers?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 12:53pm
Jeff, I think the GPW I have in TX has an original front bumper, with some welded add ons to it. Won't be there to check it out for about three weeks as plans go now. Actually I may have another stock bumper on a parts frame as well, were you looking for measurements or??

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 12:57pm
I believe that the MB front bumper was made from 12 gauge and has 1-1/2" flanges as opposed to a CJ2A front bumper which is 11 gauge and has 2" flanges.  I'd like to confirm this.

Edit:  Also, the length might be different.  I think MB may be shorter.

Edited by jpet - 12 June 2012 at 12:59pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 1:32am
Best bet to get a quick answer is posting over on the G 503........but If you still need verification by the time I get to TX I will let you know. My bud who is down there couldn't read a mic or ruler well enough to give you your answer, unfortunately.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 1:52am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Best bet to get a quick answer is posting over on the G 503........

Nope. Can't do that. Every time someone asks for a dimension on the G503, they always get the stock reply. "go to jeepdraw". I think that jeep draw is a great work and I applaud their efforts but I do not want to use jeep draw because their are two stipulations to using their drawings.

1. You can't share the information
2. You are only allowed to use the drawings to make parts for yourself.

Sorry but I can't abide by that. Not a rip mind you just saying that I want my information public and if I'm going to make tooling to make parts, I reserve the right to make a few more and possibly sell a couple.

That being said, someone following this thread has an original MB bumper.   Come on man. I'll make it worth your while.

Edited by jpet - 13 June 2012 at 10:57am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:01am
Yeah, I know what you mean about jeepdraw.You need MB info, not GPW, right??

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 3:02am
Yup. MB info. GPWs and MBs look almost identical to the casual eye, but I'm finding out that there are many subtle and not so subtle differences.

In a nutshell, if I get a drawing from jeepdraw, I can't publish my own drawing of the front bumper.

Edited by jpet - 13 June 2012 at 3:08am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 3:56pm
Rear box channel..... (or whatever it's called)  14 gauge steel

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 4:10pm

Edited by jpet - 13 June 2012 at 4:11pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>