Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO Kill Switch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 9:34pm
Ah,-ha! I hadn't thought about the keyed-coil angle. Even tho most of the CJ2-A's were made with them, most of them are long-gone by now. But even the keyed coil has to have a current feed wire, I suppose from the ammeter. You could use your deadman sw and bypass in that wire.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Bruce,

There is no wire from the ign switch to the coil on a Cj2a with key coil.  So I think I need to go with the rely design.  One might interrupt the wire to the condenser - but I not know if that is advisable.

Good call on the constant -duty relay. 

Let me know if you can think of away to do this with a key coil without a relay. 

Bolding mine.

Try interrupting the wire that goes from your coil to the distributor. Not the big heavy high tension wire. The smaller one that connects the coil to the points. Without current flowing to the points, the Jeep will not run. It will not hurt anything. It may make diagnosing an ignition problem a little harder is all.

FWIW, I have no idea where in your circuit your condenser is located. Is it in the distributor, or is it on the coil? I have seen it done both ways. If you remove only the condenser from the circuit, it will run until the points fry! 

IHTH ,Cpt Logger.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 9:54pm
Cpt Logger, 

I agree.  If you interrupt the small wire from the coil to the distributor the secondary will not collapse in the coil and no spark will be delivered to the spark plugs.  That will kill the engine.  

The condenser and points on this CJ2A is in the distributor. 

At this point - I am still going to use a 6 volt relay.   They are less money than replacing the dead man switch and I will not have to worry about the current draw across the 18 gauge wire. 

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 10:10pm
Fine, keep in mind though that the starter relay is designed for intermittent duty. It will not last long in a continuous duty mode, which this is.

The problem is not the current flowing through the switched circuit. The problem is the heat developed from the coil on the electromagnet that is switching the switched circuit. Even with no current flowing through the switched circuit, the relay will overheat.

Good Luck, Cpt Logger.

BTW, you can find a continuous duty six volt relay at most real tractor supply stores.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12