Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 6:14pm
Post some picture while yer at it!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 2:24am
I measured the Ramsey DP1s in my PTO stash. This is the measurement from the mating surface with the transfer case to the mating surface with the PTO drive shaft to the rear pto (of the Ramsey DP1).

Two of them measure  8-1/4 inches.
One measures 8 -5/16".  

Can someone measure the same dimensions on at Spicer 18H?  

Thanks,
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 9:43pm
If this is the dim. your talking about I got 7 3/8" to inside surface 7 1/2 to the outside lip. Hope this helps Joe W
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 10:58pm
That was actually related to my next question. You guys read my mind.

I guess I'll ask, Are the rear flanges where the drive shaft attaches the same? Ramsey/ Dana
Dave
44 Willys MB
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 2:24pm
Next PTO Questions in this saga - (I posted this question on the tech section last night).  I there a way to replace those rubber boots on the PTO drive shaft without removing the cross pins?  Sewing leather gaiters is looking pretty appealing right now.

Stev
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Next PTO Questions in this saga - (I posted this question on the tech section last night).  I there a way to replace those rubber boots on the PTO drive shaft without removing the cross pins?  Sewing leather gaiters is looking pretty appealing right now.

Short answer...  No
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 2:48pm
Lowenuf - 

Bummer.  So will they push out with a 20 ton press and a little heat?  Does it matter which side you push the pin from?
Stev
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:57pm
The link is a write up I did a few years ago on rebuilding the driveshaft...

open the page, and search down for pto shaft rebuild

Edited by lowenuf - 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:59pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 7:08pm
I used Loweslink when I rebuilt mine. I pressed the pin out and didn't use heat. Then made a pipe sleeve to get the pin pressed back in to correct dim. See,s like every time I'd push it it would go to far.I made stainless clamps out of sheet stainless and I believe 6/32 rhms and square nuts. Thanks again for the link.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 3:30am
Next PTO question - do you have to lower the transmission / transfer case cross-member in order to get the PTO to fit into the tub PTO whole?  I am installing a Ramsey DP1 (twin stick) and it will not slide on with the transmission and transfer case up in their normal position.  
Stev
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 3:35am
I have a twin stick Koenig. I had to lower the cross member by about an inch using spacers at the frame rails. It is still not enough. Mind you, I'm not certain that my crossmember wasn't bent in the past, or is the correct one for my jeep. Anyway, I would suggest lowering the cross member. I tried like hell to get the top of my controller to fit in the square hole, only to learn much later that for the dualstick PTOs the holes were elongated into a rectangular shape.   I've never found a twin stick PTO boot, and the round TC one doesn't work.

Q

Edited by Qcanuck - 06 Apr. 2017 at 3:38am
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 3:46am
By the way, lowering the cross member that much did not affect the front winch driveshaft, but there is not a lot of room to fool around. Also, there is precious little clearance for the rear PTO driveshaft to go over the drawbar supports and muffler, if you have it in the stock position. I finally went with the MB style muffler configuration so that the flat exhaust fit nicely outside the frame rail under the tool box. You might want to fool around with all this geometry before cutting or making holes.   Also, I have an overdrive and with the PTO adapter, it pushed everything back six inches.
Q.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 4:06pm
Q:

Thanks for the reply.  The Ramsey DP1 almost fit without lower the cross member to install it.  I am hopeful that it will not need a spacer.  The 1948 all ready has a MB style side exhaust.  No overdrive to contend with.
Stev
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 1:21am
How much gear oil will the front PTO controller leach from the transfer case once it is attached and operating?   

...And is it necessary to add additional oil to the transfer case after attaching a PTO controller? Specifically a Spicer 18H.

The 1945 Willys Manual states the controller ("shift assembly") gets lubrication from the transfer case, but nothing about adding additional oil.

To me, it seems that some additional would be needed to compensate the addition of the controller.

Edited by HCAT - 20 Apr. 2017 at 1:31am
Dave
44 Willys MB
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 3:18am
HCAT

The Ramsey PT1 is front facing PTO and it has its own fill plug that lubricates the offset driven chain and bearing.  The front section that mates to the transfer case is lube through a hole in the mating face at 6 O'clock.  If you fill to the bottom of the transfer case fill hole with the PTO installed it should fill the PTO. If  the lube in the  transfer case is low it appears that no lube will get to the front portion of the PTO.  There is lip so some lub does get trapped in the front section of the PTO.  I don't know if that is sufficient for lubing the PTO.  I always fill the  transmission, transfer case and pto once a year before our big trip in the summer.  I have not had any problems with the front facing PTO. 
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 4:41am
Qcanuck,

Looks like the Ramsey will require 3/8" spacer.  
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 2:50am
After spending the day working on the PTO.  Qcanuck - It does look like a one inch spaces will work nicely.  I test fitted the rear pto drive shaft there is plenty of clearance.  It does look like the front pto drive shaft will require the brake return spring mount on the cross member to be relocated.  Which is interesting because I removed a Ramsey PT1 and test fitted a DP1 and a DP1S.  The Ramsey PT1 works without relocating the bracket.  The Ramsey DP1 and DP1s are clocked just a little different from the PT1. The PT1 does not require the 1 inch spacer.
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 3:06pm
Qcanuck- Can you post a picture of your 1" spacer?  The one I have designed is perhaps over designed.

My current design is a section 4 inch rolled U channel (1/4" wall).  It is orientated like an upside down "U".  It is 4 inches wide with 2.5" legs and is 2" inches deep. It bolts to the existing frame mount where the CJ2A cross member is mounted.  I welded a 3/4 inch thick section of  flat stock in into the top of the inside of the inverted U (giving it a 1" thickness as a spacer).  The spacer's  wings (pointed down when installed) pick up the sides of  the transmission cross member (the cross member tucks up inside the inverted "U" shape).  The problem with this design is it requires the narrowing of the cross member by 1/2 inch.  I will need take the 1/2 inch out of the center of the cross member, squeeze it in and weld.  The only good news is that this cross member is on my replace list so it is like making a test model.

I did test install the rear and front PTO drives they seem to fit fine.

Edited by Stev - 24 Apr. 2017 at 3:09pm
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>