Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radios
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:21am
Hello,
Saw some mention about baofeng radios. They don't seem too expensive but there are several models. I thought I might pick one up but first I wanted to get some idea of what is a good one or what you all are using.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Johnnygeep

Just FYI, Still on track for Moab, staying at the Apache Motel. Then maybe a few days in Ouray. On to Sturgis area and maybe park trailer til Black Hills Run starts. I'm booked at the Iron Horse. Then off to Northern CO area for run. Doesn't look like I'm gonna make Fall Colors, conflicts with MVPA run in the Smoky Mountains.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Johnny

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 3:31am
Look at the 2015 FCT thread in the events section, there is much info on the radios, M38Mike is the expert on them.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 2:57pm
Be aware that some radios operate on frequencies that require a license (not difficult to acquire-and probably a good idea). 

If you want to operate legally without a license, suggest searching for something like "license free radios" to understand the FCC's requirements.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 4:27pm
Gotcha, thanks!
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 5:19pm
I have 2 Baofengs. Both are dual band (2 meters & 70 centimeters). Both bands require an FCC Ham license to be used legally. They work great but of the newer ones I'd recommend a UV-B5 although the UV-5RA works well also. I would recommend replacing the antenna with a Nagoya NA-701 Antenna. Don't be dissuaded by the FCC license. A bit of studying, take the test, and you'll be licensed.

An alternative (no license required) would be an FRS transceiver but the range is limited (about 1 mile). Probably the best license free solution might be a CB transceiver (3-5 mile (or more) on AM, up to 25 miles on SSB).
Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 5:56am
I agree that the Baofeng radios are a great way to go for hand held radios. I have several of the UV-5RE Plus versions and they have performed well.
I will say that the instructions are a bit lacking for programing them but there are alternatives to factory supplied manuals. If you are interested, I will locate the third party manual that I used and give you a web address for it; it is far better than Baofeng's version.
Also, buying a third party programming software will really make the job easier too! RT Systems makes a great one that makes programming a breeze (around $50 including their cable). There are other features in this program such as a repeater directory that is also helpful. Once you establish your frequency list, you just plug in each radio and upload the exact same list to each one.

You can also get a magnetic base roof mounted antenna which can then be run inside your vehicle and attached to your radio. Gives much greater range; I do this with my Jeep and my pickup. You may be surprised just how far you can reach from a mountain top or ridge!

Most Amateur Radio clubs offer classes to prep you for the entry level ham license, called Technician Class (usually for no charge). They teach you what you need to know to get started.

Darrell

Edited by Red Dog - 28 Apr. 2017 at 4:13pm
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 11:04am
I use "Chirp" to program mine, it's free. I also bought my two as combo kits that included the cable.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 2:33pm
Should you go with a CB the two Radios I would recommend are the Cobra 29 (in which ever version you like) as they are rated the #1 mobile radio and can be "opened up" easily to produce close to 12Watts (not legal but possible) Their nose cancelling and internal SWR are big pluses. I have one in my 2016 Kenworth T-800 Columbia Dump Truck and use it 8-10 hours every work day. The other is the little Uniden PRO520XL Dirt Cheap 3 knobs almost indestructable. We have a bunch of these in our older dump trucks some that have been beat to crap for 10 years and are still working great. The mic's aren't the best but then neither are the Cobra's stock Mic. but they are cheap and take less then a min to swap.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply