Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

regulator hookup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: regulator hookup
    Posted: 26 July 2007 at 6:43am
Pardon for the "plain as the nose on your face" question, but in all the postings, I cannot find out how to tell which lugs are which on the voltage regulator.

I have [OE, I think] a VRP4007C2, SN A10146, and need to know FOR SURE what each lug is for.  Mine do not seem to be marked, or I simply cant see the marks.

1.  "ground" seems to be a wire connected to one of the mounting bolts.  Is this correct?

2.  "Battery" is which one  [I'm guessing the right hand one]

3.  "Arm" is which one [I'm guessing the middle one]

4.  "Field" is which one  [I'm guessing the left hand one]

These are not random guesses, but are interpolations from Sean's helpful posting of several months ago.

Perhaps my problem is that I have the same problem with the generator taps.  It us a GDZ ???? but is not original to me.

1.  Apparently "ground" is the "middle" one that screws directly into the frame

2.  Apparently "Arm" is the larger post that is closest to the rear end of the generator and connects to the middle lug on the regulator

3.  Apparently "field" is the smaller post and it connects to  left hand lug of the regulator.

This means to me, that the voltage comes into the regulator [or goes out] through the right hand lug of the regulator.  This current gets back to the battery through the amp meter.

If anyone is still with me, could you also explain whether or not I need to "polarize" this reinstallation?  And if so, how do I do that?  The generator is new to me and the jeep, but has been checked and is good.  But whatever incompatibility this might risk needs correcting.

del clear

del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 2:32pm
From left to right

ARM   FIELD    BATT

It's a good idea to polarize it, I forget exactly how it's done buts its real simple. Something like shorting Field and Arm, Try a search

Edited by trader_reed - 26 July 2007 at 2:33pm
phlip8910 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phlip8910 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2008 at 1:08am
 I am having problems with my generator and found a great site on generator polarization at "vernco.com" then "projects" then "chasing sparks" then "generator polarization".  It give a very good introduction to the jeep electrical circuit and IDs some problems with the manuals and the way things are labeled.  Hope it helps.
Phlip.
 Post Reply Post Reply