Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement side cowl panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement side cowl panels
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 8:51am
Who makes the best side cowl panel? I'm looking at the Walck's one and so far have had no problems with the few parts I've bought from them.

STE: stupid autocorrect.

Edited by 2t2-crash - 26 Feb. 2017 at 5:28pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 11:52am
Do you mean Walck's? 

I used the ones from Walck's. I believe they are Omix pieces. I found the quality to be quite good. The 3 pieces are welded together, so you get the brace and so on as a unit. It took some work to fit them as a single piece. The point where the panel meets the dash is problematic. It's just not quite shaped right. In the grand scheme of things, probably no one would even notice. But i did, and it made fitting them a bit tougher. 

But other than that relatively minor issue, I'm happy with the fit and quality. 

If the goal of my project was to be more correct, I'd go with the Classic Enterprises pieces. They are separate pieces and the door opening/dash merge shape looks more correct to me. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 12:48pm
http://classicent.com
Probably your best products.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 4:05pm
I went with Classic enterprises They fit well the floor drain at least for me ended up in the right place You do have to cut the flange along the top edge to fit your Cowl support and the Windshield mount doubler. Then the piece at the Body Angle joint was about 3/4" to long. I believe this was done so the piece can fit multiple models and it was no problem for me to flatten the bend out then rebend it farther forward and trim the excess. The step was pretty well made and all one piece.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:05pm
I used one from Walck's.  I cut mine in as I could not grind out the welds the PO had globbed all over the backside of the dash where the support went up and behind.  I had to bend some of the seem on the outside of the body.  I have a VEC with the tool indents. Overall happy with the product.
 Post Reply Post Reply